geogphotos

Rakuten marketing affiliate scheme

Vincent Lowe    210
On 7/20/2017 at 18:28, KevinS said:

After contacting Alamy, the affiliate link is on my site (text). Had a bit of trouble with the banner type of link, which I can try again when I have more time. That link is to Alamy's home page. A separate link (not affiliate marketing) has long been available from Alamy to direct traffic to just your images. 

www.kevinshields.com

Small point - the graphic/link doesn't show if the browser has an adblocker active (at least it doesn't on my system with Firefox).  Might be worth adding a note to turn off adblockers.

KevinS    35
On 7/23/2017 at 12:15, Vincent Lowe said:

Small point - the graphic/link doesn't show if the browser has an adblocker active (at least it doesn't on my system with Firefox).  Might be worth adding a note to turn off adblockers.

Thanks for that. The link is working as I want it to, but you're right, I need to do what I can to have it seen by any visitor. Your idea of a note sounds right.

Yesterday a buyer made a purchase on Alamy as well as a purchase on my website. Different images of the same subject. Can't confirm that it was the same buyer, but the subject is obscure.  

M.Chapman    518
On 7/21/2017 at 15:21, KevinS said:

Mark,

There are currently 28 different links available for Alamy US, some with discounts, some without. I chose a discount one to better see if I can send some traffic to Alamy. Not sure what the starting point is for any discount. I'd love to see some sales at 80% of the calculator price. Today I was able to get a banner type link to appear on my site, so I can say that the process is simple, no skills needed except point and click, copy and paste.

I've turned off my AdBlocker and I can now see the link on your website. Looks great. Shame that my Adblocker completely nobbled it before. You say there's a choice of 28 links. Do any of the choices link to only your images on Alamy? If so, is it possible to have two links on your website, one to all of Alamy, the other to just your images on Alamy? 

ChrisC    65
On 7/20/2017 at 08:05, geogphotos said:

Yes, as reported above Alamy were very helpful in sorting it out. They sent me an invite through the Rakuten system and all I had to do was accept.

They told me that there was no reason why my website was not acceptable and that there must be a glitch in the system.

So, the message is clear. Any problems, contact Alamy rather than taking it as a rejection. They will check your website and send invite.

The only problem I can see is that if I click on the Alamy 20% link, it takes you to Alamy's site not your photos on Alamy's site?

Whereas with the normal Alamy link it links to a search of my images only

Chris

John Mitchell    1,890
5 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

The only problem I can see is that if I click on the Alamy 20% link, it takes you to Alamy's site not your photos on Alamy's site?

Whereas with the normal Alamy link it links to a search of my images only

Chris

This occurred to me too. As it is, I have a link directly to my Alamy images. Mind you, I have no idea if anyone ever clicks on it and ends up licensing an image.

• Upvote 1

KevinS    35
17 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I've turned off my AdBlocker and I can now see the link on your website. Looks great. Shame that my Adblocker completely nobbled it before. You say there's a choice of 28 links. Do any of the choices link to only your images on Alamy? If so, is it possible to have two links on your website, one to all of Alamy, the other to just your images on Alamy? 

Mark,

No, there isn't an affiliate link that goes to one contributor's images. The idea is to drive traffic to an advertiser, and if a sale results, the "publisher" (in this case a photographer's website) receives a cut. Think of it as the annoying ads you see on blogs that could be selling anything. As a photographer I'm not interested in showing ads for just anything, and I am a bit reluctant to send traffic away from my site. But if a customer doesn't find what they need on my site, there is a good chance Alamy has it and I could get compensated for my help. Back when I got frequent calls from buyers they appreciated help if I didn't have what they were asking for. I would give them names of other togs as a favor, not to be forgotten. 

You can place two (or twenty) links on your site; Alamy affiliate and a link to your images like you always could.

http://www.kevinshields.com

Edited by KevinS

Ilanphoto    0
On 7/18/2017 at 15:11, geogphotos said:

Alamy very helpful in sorting this out.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:05, geogphotos said:

Yes, as reported above Alamy were very helpful in sorting it out. They sent me an invite through the Rakuten system and all I had to do was accept.

They told me that there was no reason why my website was not acceptable and that there must be a glitch in the system.

So, the message is clear. Any problems, contact Alamy rather than taking it as a rejection. They will check your website and send invite.

Sorry to say, but I could see no link on your page, only the text explaining about the discount?
Is this a geographical issue? (not being in the US nor UK nor AUS (but in the very hot middle east))

geogphotos    194
27 minutes ago, Ilanphoto said:

Sorry to say, but I could see no link on your page, only the text explaining about the discount?
Is this a geographical issue? (not being in the US nor UK nor AUS (but in the very hot middle east))

Hi Ilan - good to 'see' you. It seems that it is a geographic thing. But it doesn't seem like a good idea - site visitors from elsewhere will wonder what i am going on about.

I0000gYcnaZPzNjg.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

Alamy    0

Hi everyone,

We’d just like to step in here to fix any confusion surrounding the commission structure around the affiliate scheme.

It’s true that in this first version that the commission going to the contributor of the image sold is 50%, however as we expand the scheme in the near future, this will be changing slightly. We wanted to let you know now so there are no surprises when this happens.

Due to the early success of the scheme, we’ve negotiated a better deal with Rakuten, meaning that they will now be getting a 3% cut, rather than 6. The referring affiliate will still get 20%, but then we will be splitting the remaining sales value 50/50 between the photographer and Alamy. This results in a fairer split all round, and would still mean that if you refer a client to an image of yours that sells, you will be paid the equivalent of a 58.5%.

Further details about these changes will be released closer to the time.

Cheers

Alamy

2 hours ago, Alamy said:

The referring affiliate will still get 20%, but then we will be splitting the remaining sales value 50/50 between the photographer and Alamy. This results in a fairer split all round [...]

Fairer??? NOPE! My contract with Alamy is for 50% of direct sales... If ALAMY makes a discount/affiliate deal, then ALAMY should take it out of their cut!

Edited by Reciprocity Images
  • Upvote 3

geogphotos    194

Alamy will get an increase from 24% to 38.5%, and the photographer will get a cut from 50% to 38.5%?

Is my Maths correct?

So the success of the scheme means that the photographer gets less than when the scheme started. 

Just as well that the scheme is doing well;)

I'd love to have some details about how the scheme is actually going so far and the extra customers that are being attracted.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy will get an increase from 24% to 38.5%, and the photographer will get a cut from 50% to 38.5%?

Is my Maths correct?

Yes, That's exactly what I am reading based on Alamy's statement above.

Alamy offers the discount, Alamy takes the cut. NOT THE PHOTOGRAPHER.

funkyworm    635
On 1-8-2017 at 12:16, Alamy said:

This results in a fairer split all round, and would still mean that if you refer a client to an image of yours that sells, you will be paid the equivalent of a 58.5%.

Ermmm... if I refer a client to myself and sell direct I get 100%. And have less exchanges.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Ermmm... if I refer a client to myself and sell direct I get 100%. And have less exchanges.

...and likely a much higher license price to begin with. Now THAT's fair.

• Upvote 1