July Challenge - Street Art

fotoDogue

On 7/13/2017 at 12:57, fotoDogue said:

My concept was to show street art in public space and if photographers choose, to show how others interact with it. Not so much to simply document someone else's work, or show art intended to hang on a wall that's been left out on the street.

That's what I assumed, Stacy. It's a mistake to just copy someone's mural, but it's okay to include it in a street scene, with or without people. Photogs have been doing that in museums forever. 

A few months ago, Alamy deleted a bunch of mural shots of mine that were straight copies, after informing me they would be doing so. An artist complained. Fair enough. My pics had been bought for PU. 

50 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

1. its a copyright violation to publish it, & posting images online in this thread is a form of publishing

Not in UK and most of Europe. There's a specific exception in our copyright act.

On 2017-07-13 at 09:57, fotoDogue said:

My concept was to show street art in public space and if photographers choose, to show how others interact with it. Not so much to simply document someone else's work, or show art intended to hang on a wall that's been left out on the street.

That seems perfectly legit to me. It's all about the photographer's interpretation. Ultimately, everything depicted in a photo was made by someone or something else (e.g. by Mother Nature). There truly is nothing new under the sun, only new ways of looking at what's already there.

21 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

> show how people* and others** interact with it

LECHEROUS ALBERT EINSTEIN

*people interacted with sticker shock added art

**others interacted with defecatory droppings added art

LecherousAE.jpg

(note: just taken, not yet on Alamy)

Jeff, one of the few requirement of the competition is that images have to be available on Alamy. If and when this image becomes available on Alamy, please replace it with a preview showing the Alamy Reference number.

Some street and public art with and without people interacting with it.

Nicaraguan revolution mural

memories-of-the-sandinista-revolution-pa

Public sculpture at Sky Line Drive Visitors Center, with teenaged girls

two-young-girls-playing-with-a-statue-of

Shoeshine Boy as Hero in Boaco, Nicaragua

the-shoeshine-boy-as-hero-in-boaco-nicar

Fun topic! Three from me ...

Person dressed as a skeleton with a Dracula mural behind. (State fair in Raleigh)
spooky-carnival-art-BP12Y1.jpg

Mural on a building, with "matching" car in the front. Richmond Virginia.
buick-skylark-parked-in-front-of-graffiti-wall-on-west-cary-street-EWAX6N.jpg

Crayon art on the street during Raleigh festival, at night
raleigh-north-carolina-nc-usa-sparkcon-art-festival-at-night-with-DEB1C8.jpg

I don't think I have many that qualify for this challenge.  Here's one from Scottsdale, Arizona.

fountain-with-bronze-arabian-horse-sculp

And a community painting at a street festival in Burnaby, BC:

young-woman-works-on-an-acrylic-painting:

Archived