Going to Ripleys Aquarium, need help on taking pics through the glass

My son is taking his wonderful mother to Ripley's Aquarium on Thursday.  I have always wanted to go and take some pics, but my skills taking fish in water through glass are quite minimal.  Like non-existent.

Equipment I have is:  Canon 650D with 18-55mm kit lens, prime 1.8 50mm and my RX-100 M2.  I also have a long telephoto but am pretty sure that is useless for this project.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jill

Take some paper towels with glass cleaner on them in a small storage bag. If you have them use a closeup lens with a rubber lens hood. If someone can hold a flash at an angle for you that will help. 

Paulette

Not sure if you have time between now and Thursday but one option is to try one of the rubber, deformable lens hoods for the 50mm so you can press it right against the glass without risk of damage (to glass or lens). Cuts out reflections. You'll need the extra light gathering from the wider aperture of the 50mm.

A lens hood -- cheap rubber ones work well in this case -- can come in handy. You can then press your lens right up against the glass to avoid reflections.

Don't, of course, attempt to feed the sharks.

UPDATE: Whoops! Looks like someone beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

+1 Philippe

I do not try to get images of the fish themselves because an underwater photographer, working underwater, can do it so much better.

Like the zoo I try to get travel images of people using the place.

Do not worry about the reflections on the glass. They are part of the aquarium.

tunnel-through-the-open-ocean-aquarium-a

I will try to remember to wear dark clothes and shoot tight to glass.  But yes, just good shots of the Aquarium and the people in it will also be covered.

May go to the Scarborough Bluffs on the way home.  Never have gone there.  Bill knows where I am talking about.

Jill

Archived