Number of images under member description

Allan Bell

This may have been asked already but wondered if we could have a definative answer please?

Why is it necessary to log out of the forum then back in again to see the contributor image total updated to the latest figure?

Is it not possible for the forum to be automatically updated with this figure when new images go on sale?

Allan

When you log into the forum, behind the scenes we have some code that 'fetches' your number of images and then displays the link. If you don't log out (and therefore don't log in again) the 'fetch' will not be run.

Technically, it's possible to make it 'live' however this would mean constantly running fetches to check the number of images of everyone who was logged into the forum at the same time. This would be a drain on our servers and would take a fair bit of work to set up so it's not really viable.

James Allsworth

This may have been asked already but wondered if we could have a definative answer please?

Why is it necessary to log out of the forum then back in again to see the contributor image total updated to the latest figure?

Is it not possible for the forum to be automatically updated with this figure when new images go on sale?

Allan

I never seem to suffer from this problem, so I don't think it applies to everybody, but I know a lot of people who do.

John.

When you log into the forum, behind the scenes we have some code that 'fetches' your number of images and then displays the link. If you don't log out (and therefore don't log in again) the 'fetch' will not be run.

Technically, it's possible to make it 'live' however this would mean constantly running fetches to check the number of images of everyone who was logged into the forum at the same time. This would be a drain on our servers and would take a fair bit of work to set up so it's not really viable.

James Allsworth

Ah, that explains it as I usually log out each session.

• 2 weeks later...

On Chrome I'm forever being asked to re-login so I think the cookie time out has been changed to reflect this. Lazy browsers like IE probably cache it however, certainly using Chrome I'm being asked to login everytime I come to the forum. Not really that bothered about it. 

Why not just alter the code so it keeps a copy of the number of images in the forum database, and each time new images go live, the code updates the forum copy of the image count also.

That way, its only altered when the number of images alters, there is no counting of images when people log on etc, and it should always be up to date.

Seems an odd way to do things, the current way.

On Chrome I'm forever being asked to re-login so I think the cookie time out has been changed to reflect this. Lazy browsers like IE probably cache it however, certainly using Chrome I'm being asked to login everytime I come to the forum. Not really that bothered about it. 

I work with IE so do not know Chrome but wonder if there is a tick box when you sign in that, when ticked, will ask Chrome to remember you.

Allan

• 4 months later...

Reboot cures all it seems even the mobile needs it from time to time!

What happened to all the old posts I am reborn and and am now a Newbie with no reputation, Well go with the Flow then!

Frank

Okay Frank, have a greenie to set you on the path to redemption . . .

dd

Archived