GS-Images    1,182

I have been going nuts lately with street photography, my confidence has shot up, and I'm pushing the boundaries. I love it, but it's also full of risks when you get caught! A few examples of getting caught taking them from 2 days ago....

One of this lot came over to me. He was drunk, asked if I was a reporter. I said "yes" for some reason! He was ok though, we had a good laugh and one of his friends pulled him off me.

groupd-of-elderly-indian-men-on-a-day-out-in-the-uk-waving-to-the-JFB1WK.jpg

This would have made a lovely shot of a girl giving another support......but then she spotted me! If eyes could kill, I'd be posting this from hell. I mouthed "sorry" then walked off quick with my tail between my legs.
girls-hugging-young-girls-having-a-hug-to-give-comfort-as-one-of-them-JF80FY.jpg

I had another I planned to post of a man catching me, but I forgot to keyword it yesterday so can't put it up.

Has anyone else got pics showing them being caught taking street photos? Any good or bad outcomes from it?

Have a great Weekend everyone,
Geoff.
  • Upvote 1

Stephen Rees    16

Photography isn't a crime.  Why act like you have been caught doing something wrong?  If someone spots me taking a photo, I just smile, no need to apologise.  Sometimes people ask why I'm taking photos but that's not a problem, I can tell them what I'm doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
2 minutes ago, Stephen Rees said:

Photography isn't a crime.  Why act like you have been caught doing something wrong?  If someone spots me taking a photo, I just smile, no need to apologise.  Sometimes people ask why I'm taking photos but that's not a problem, I can tell them what I'm doing.

I agree, but to many people it is immoral in some situations, and I have to respect their way of thinking to a point. Despite what the law says, there are times when it's stretching my own personal morals to take photos of someone. The 2 girls in the photo I posted one example where it was too tempting not to take it, but I certainly don't blame them for not being happy about it, which is why I apologised. I know my legal rights but I actually think the law in the UK is pretty relaxed when it comes to what photographers are allowed to take in public. Often people give me a filthy look though, and just this afternoon a couple walked past and one gave me an evil look, then whispered to the other who then turned around and looked at me too. They were clearly not happy, and I wasn't even taking photos of them, so they just saw a large lens around my neck! I actually called out something sarcastic because that sort of behaviour really bugs me.

Today I took a photo of a young girl doing a cart-wheel, and questioned the morals of that. I'm just about ok with it, but I also understand why the parents may not be. Locally to me there was a paedophile around a couple of years ago who the police were after, and I had the police called on me at that tine for taking photos, and I think people around here are still extra nervous because of that. I often ask to take someone's photo, even though I'm not obliged to. I don't like it when photographers go out of their way to wind people up, and quote the law and act like they're immune from common decency. If someone asks what I'm doing, I'm happy to tell them, and with those Indian men in the image I posted we had a laugh together and it wasn't a problem.

I have an excellent image of a guy who spotted me yesterday and stuck his tongue out, which I intend to post in this thread after it's approved and keyworded.  :)

Geoff.

John Morrison    2,107
5 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Often people give me a filthy look though, and just this afternoon a couple walked past and one gave me an evil look, then whispered to the other who then turned around and looked at me too. They were clearly not happy, and I wasn't even taking photos of them, so they just saw a large lens around my neck! I actually called out something sarcastic because that sort of behaviour really bugs me.

"Something sarcastic"... really?

You sound rather conflicted about your motives for taking candid pix. If you're so uncomfortable that "something sarcastic" is your first response (rather than, say, a smile), then maybe this kind of photography isn't for you...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
21 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

"Something sarcastic"... really?

You sound rather conflicted about your motives for taking candid pix. If you're so uncomfortable that "something sarcastic" is your first response (rather than, say, a smile), then maybe this kind of photography isn't for you...

Wow, have I hit a nerve John? I'm not sure what warranted such a response!

Anyway to reply, yes really, they were giving filthy looks to me simply for sitting down with a camera around my neck. I was NOT taking photos at the time. What on earth is wrong with me not being happy about that? Why would I smile at someone for giving me filthy looks for absolutely no reason? I own a camera and had it with me, that is all. If I was point my lens at them then fair enough, and I would have smiled. Maybe you didn't read my post before replying?

To suggest that I am conflicted and that this sort of photography isn't for me is really rather strange, and not like you! I am an experienced photographer and have been taking photos of people for a long time, so this isn't exactly new. I AM new to doing more "of the moment" street photography, but not of taking general stock photos with people in.

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images

John Morrison    2,107
15 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Yes, really, they were giving filthy looks to me simply for sitting down with a camera around my neck. I was NOT taking photos at the time. What on earth is wrong with me not being happy about that? Why would I smile at someone for giving me filthy looks for absolutely no reason? I own a camera and had it with me, that is all. If I was point my lens at them then fair enough, and I would have smiled. Maybe you didn't read my post before replying?

To suggest that I am conflicted and that this sort of photography isn't for me is really rather strange, and not like you! I am an experienced photographer and have been taking photos of people for a long time, so this isn't exactly new. I AM new to doing more "of the moment" street photography, but not of taking general stock photos with people in.

Geoff.

Then you really need some strategies to cope with the varieties of responses. I can only repeat that you sound conflicted and defensive. Who knows, it may be your attitude that's the problem. It sounds to me like you're expecting trouble to happen... and you're getting your retaliation in first...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

Then you really need some strategies to cope with the varieties of responses. I can only repeat that you sound conflicted and defensive. Who knows, it may be your attitude that's the problem. It sounds to me like you're expecting trouble to happen... and you're getting your retaliation in first...

I'm afraid you are reading me completely wrong and seem to be making assumptions. I do not know why you think I seem conflicted. I do not "have an attitude" at all and I am not defensive if there is no reason to be. I am a very friendly, warm and approachable person, and I smile and say hello to everyone, and I have very high morals. I am not expecting trouble to happen at all! I am enjoying taking more people photos lately and have had several nice moments with those who have spotted me. I honestly have no idea what this "retaliation" is that you are referring to but you seem to have completely misunderstood me and all I have written.

Geoff.

GS-Images    1,182
8 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

If my posts don't make any sense to you, then disregard them...

I happily shall do in future although I am responding to be polite, and as I do not want bad feelings, and do not understand why you are taking this tone with me. So much for a nice friendly discussion! Your posts simply do not fit with mine and your attitude is really rather rude. Clearly I hit a nerve and shall have to remain in the dark about what it is I have done to upset you.

Have a nice evening anyway and try to cheer up.  :)

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

John Mitchell    1,890

I don't enjoy street photography as much as I used to, for a number of reasons, so I don't do much of it these days.

That said, I never upload "busted" images because I can't imagine anyone wanting to license them. But perhaps I'm wrong there...

• Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I don't enjoy street photography as much as I used to, for a number of reasons, so I don't do much of it these days.

That said, I never upload "busted" images because I can't imagine anyone wanting to license them. But perhaps I'm wrong there...

I have recently had quite a big confidence boost for various reasons, so it's only recently that I have been braver with the photos I have taken. It's quite unlike me as I have always hidden away and not wanted to be seen, but I seem to be changing for the better. On Saturday I came across a protest and photographed everything going on, spoke to protesters and police, and I felt confidence and like I was supposed to be there, and I enjoyed it very much. Anyone who knew me a few years ago would probably not believe I am the same person.  :)

I won't make a habit of uploading the images where I have been spotted, but there are a few I quite like that could fit with a client doing a story about street photography maybe. It doesn't hurt to have a few in my portfolio anyway, but generally I would not keep those images.

Geoff.

John Mitchell    1,890
2 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I have recently had quite a big confidence boost for various reasons, so it's only recently that I have been braver with the photos I have taken. It's quite unlike me as I have always hidden away and not wanted to be seen, but I seem to be changing for the better. On Saturday I came across a protest and photographed everything going on, spoke to protesters and police, and I felt confidence and like I was supposed to be there, and I enjoyed it very much. Anyone who knew me a few years ago would probably not believe I am the same person.  :)

I won't make a habit of uploading the images where I have been spotted, but there are a few I quite like that could fit with a client doing a story about street photography maybe. It doesn't hurt to have a few in my portfolio anyway, but generally I would not keep those images.

Geoff.

Good point. You never know what might interest buyers. Candid "street photography" has always been one of my favourite photographic genres. But people can be so touchy these days -- which is understandable -- that it's difficult not to feel like a snoop or worse.

• Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
Just now, John Mitchell said:

Good point. You never know what might interest buyers. Candid "street photography" has always been one of my favourite photographic genres. But people can be so touchy these days -- which is understandable -- that it's difficult not to feel like a snoop or worse.

Yes absolutely, I do feel quite like a snoop! I try to be as open as I can, and have remembered what someone wrote in these forums recently about always smiling when out taking people photos, and I am consciously doing that as I think it helps make me look a little less like I'm up to no good! Like you say, it is understandable that people are touchy, and there are photos I won't take because of that. Street photography is very different from other types, and has it's own challenges, and so far I am enjoying it. It certainly helped to recently be told my a staff member at Alamy that they would verify who I was if I had any problems, so I do feel now that I can fall back on that if I have any issues and I think knowing that has given me more confidence.

Geoff.

John Mitchell    1,890

I guess that this is a "busted" image of sorts. The young man in Mexico City turned around and spotted me just as I was about to snap a picture of the crowded street.

Good outcome: this image has licensed for book use.

I'm sure that I have more "busted" images hidden away in my collection.

crowded-downtown-street-in-mexico-city-B

Edited by John Mitchell

cbimages    82

I don't have the photo for this one - it didn't make it past the first edit. We spend a lot of time in Bali, and self drive in some areas. We were visiting a well known temple, Tirta Empul, which gets a lot of tourists, so has a big car park, along with the ever present stalls with sellers who know every trick to extract money from the unwary. There are also ladies wandering around with dishes on their heads, selling bananas, cooked corn, drinks etc.

Last trip to this temple, I took some photos (using a long lens) of a lovely old lady carrying bananas in a bowl on her head, and even though I was a fair distance away, she saw me and headed over, hand outstretched for some rupiah. I refuse to pay to take photos in a tourist area, so I took off. I ducked and weaved around cars with the elderly (but very sprightly) lady in hot pursuit. She was very quick indeed, her bowl of bananas never even wobbled! I couldn't get a second shot off as she was gaining on me, hand still outstretched. Within minutes, we had a rather interested audience of shopkeepers all watching the game with very inscrutable faces, as only the Balinese can do. Meanwhile, my husband had headed off to start the car figuring I'd make a dash for safety! I ran around for ages, trying to lose her....but to no avail, she was one very determined lady. Of course, all this was made harder as I was laughing so much. I finally got to the car which was running and we made good our escape. 

• Upvote 3

TeeCee    214

Think the guy on the right is indicating that he has "busted" me ...  :)

a-workman-takes-exception-to-being-photo

Street photos aren't a crime, I've always just smiled - most of the time it works wonders.

• Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,182

cbimages - Great story, I have played it out in my mind and it reminds me of watching a James Bond film.  :)

Teecee - Great example! I think some people have a natural reaction to react badly to photographers without even thinking.

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

arterra    3,756

couple-of-youngsters-enjoying-the-first-spring-sun-on-a-hot-day-in-CMP031.jpg

The next picture I took ....... she showed me her middle finger. Tossed that image -_-

I'm no good in street photography ^_^ If I practice it, it'll be with my little sony RX100 but certainly not anymore with my 70-200/2.8.

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra
  • Upvote 1

GS-Images    1,182
10 minutes ago, arterra said:

The next picture I took ....... she showed me her middle finger. Tossed that image -_-

I'm no good in street photography ^_^ If I practice it, it'll be with my little sony RX100 but certainly not anymore with my 70-200/2.8.

Cheers,

Philippe

I can imagine you not coping too well with being given the middle finger! No offence at all by the way. I wouldn't like it either and would probably react negatively. I'm used to coping with idiots, bullies and big-mouth "know it alls", so despite being very friendly and smiley to most people, I also have a defence mechanism whenever someone tries it on and provokes me or baits me to react, as has happened recently! I used to smile out of fear and back away, but now I stand up to myself more as I'll never let myself be treated how I was at school all those years ago.

Geoff.

arterra    3,756
1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

I can imagine you not coping too well with being given the middle finger! No offence at all by the way. I wouldn't like it either and would probably react negatively. I'm used to coping with idiots, bullies and big-mouth "know it alls", so despite being very friendly and smiley to most people, I also have a defence mechanism whenever someone tries it on and provokes me or baits me to react, as has happened recently! I used to smile out of fear and back away, but now I stand up to myself more as I'll never let myself be treated how I was at school all those years ago.

Geoff.

If my camera gear wasn't so expensive and fragile, I'd toss it at their heads :angry:

Well, not really........... just in my mind -_-

I'm not THAT bad, just a little ..................... "rude"........ sometimes :ph34r:

Anyway, I can't cope with people forbidding me to do something and not knowing WHY........... just because (they think) they can.

On the other hand THIS photographer is asking for a Glaswegian kiss (yeah, I learned a new word here ^_^)

Cheers,

Philippe

GS-Images    1,182

My goodness Philippe, that idiot in the video! Is THAT how some people ASSUME I am with street photography?! That guy isn't a photographer, he's a "get in people's way and press a button in their face-grapher". He really is asking for it. I'd never be so rude, and I actually frame my shots at least a little, and get them focused on the subject rather than whatever randomly happens to focus itself.  :D

It reminds me of other aspects to photography I'd love to discuss in these forums, but there is no way I'd dare to as the stress caused by the know-it-alls would be too much to take! Why can't everyone just be nice and friendly?

Geoff.

funkyworm    635

I was wheeling my punctured bike home yesterday. At a certain point I clocked a chap taking my photo as I strolled along. He then proceeded to pretend he hadn't. For some reason I didn;t have the impulse to high five him for his cunning and acting abilities. That's the second time in a week I have found myself judging a photographers poor thespian skills after I "busted" them.

Its not a question of if they may take the photo, but often its the how that leads to annoyance. I have started to make a point of taking photos of visitors behaving badly.

Dalat Vietnam Dalat Railways station. Visitors ignore the danger signs about climbing the train for photos. - Stock Image

Edited by funkyworm
  • Upvote 2

Martyn    110

This one particular occasion has always been memorable for being truly "busted" !

I was working my way down a main street in Beijing and was shooting street scenes when I spotted this guy. I was shooting with an F4 and 70 - 210 lens which gave me some distance and this guy looked up just as I took the shot. He was not happy and came running over and was trying to grab my camera which I had to hold up in the air to keep it out of his reach which wasn't difficult as he was a very small guy ! He was jumping up and down trying to reach it and I was holding him off with my spare hand....it was obviously a comical sight that quickly drew a crowd, curious to watch this guy arguing with a foreign devil ! He gave up in the end and I walked away... I guess he thought he had lost face as he was in his working clothes and didn't look his best ! This was opposite to my usual experiences in China where everyone wants you to take their picture !!

Local bicycle repair man working on a bicycle wheel at the roadside,Beijing,China. Stock Photo

• Upvote 1

wiskerke    1,841

Every man (don't know about woman) knows you're invisible, invulnerable and invincible behind a camera.

wim

arterra    3,756
1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Every man (don't know about woman) knows you're invisible, invulnerable and invincible behind a camera.

wim

or..... the smaller the camera, the more you can hide behind it -_-

Damn', those are wise words, if I may say so myself :o 

Gonna give Sony a ring. Found a slogan for their next RX100 commercial ^_^ Now, what should I charge them? :huh:

A LOT B)

Cheers,

Philippe

Photography Prints
 Fine Art Collection Arterra

Edited by arterra