arterra    3,756
16 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Of course it is relevant - you don't know who you are photographing and how they will re-act, people get their knickers in a twist for nothing, never seen any road rage? You just said yourself that you would smash the camera if someone acted a certain way when walking with your mother - others have different thresholds.

"Photographing a raging person doing a criminal act is asking for trouble" - sure, an obvious risk, but in my book it was courageous and hats off to him to do it, shame that he got hurt in the process. There are risks with everything, being afraid of trouble ain't much of a life and thankfully many people have a moral compass and are courageous enough, either to document or intervene.

As I said, a smart man would take distance ..... and then shoot, out of harm's way.

That was not a courageous photographer, but a very stupid one. Photographing - in full view - street fighters, vandals, prostitutes, drug dealers, etc. IS asking for BIG trouble.

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

arterra    3,756
9 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Obviously he didn't know that beforehand and also he might have saved someone else's bacon as the guy clearly has rage issues. 

From the article: "Daniel Skelton rained down punches on Greek-born Dimitris Legakis after the photographer had taken his picture after seeing him punch a vehicle window."

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

Just now, arterra said:

Daniel Skelton rained down punches on Greek-born Dimitris Legakis after the photographer had taken his picture after seeing him punch a vehicle window.

He didn't know before taking the picture that he would react like that, that he would proceed to assault him - obviously the guy isn't fit to walk the streets so the photographer 'might' have saved someone else.

You stay smart Philippe and let others be brave - we're all different, but don't call him stupid, we got a lot of stupid people to thank for an awful lot.

arterra    3,756
1 minute ago, Martin Carlsson said:

He didn't know before taking the picture that he would react like that, that he would proceed to assault him - obviously the guy isn't fit to walk the streets so the photographer 'might' have saved someone else.

You stay smart Philippe and let others be brave - we're all different, but don't call him stupid, we got a lot of stupid people to thank for an awful lot.

Really, you don't have to be a psychologist to predict what could (and did!!) happen in such a case. Anyway, I wouldn't do it in my neck of the woods. There's plenty of opportunity to get evidence shots, alarm the police AND avoid being beaten up. Take distance and don't to be a hero!

Cheers,

Philippe

• Upvote 1

spacecadet    1,386

It's not "stupid" in my book to fail to anticipate that someone committing criminal damage would move right up to racially aggravated GBH. Our neck of the woods is obviously different from yours.

• Upvote 1

arterra    3,756
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's not "stupid" in my book to fail to anticipate that someone committing criminal damage would move right up to racially aggravated GBH. Our neck of the woods is obviously different from yours.

Well, to give you an example. In my town - right now - two Romanian "families" broke into the houses of people being absent (on holiday or for work), changed the locks and consider it their property. .......... and NOTHING can be done about it. The police can't intervene due to some "flaw" in our Belgian law. Apparently, if you're not home and unable to bust the burglars at the spot AND they stay in the house ......... believe it or not ...... it's THEIR house. Yep, that's my neck of the woods :wacko: What a beautiful world we live in -_- B.t.w. one of the owners' jewelry is already ....... gone. 

Article here and here and here

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

19 minutes ago, arterra said:

Really, you don't have to be a psychologist to predict what could (and did!!) happen in such a case. Anyway, I wouldn't do it in my neck of the woods. There's plenty of opportunity to get evidence shots, alarm the police AND avoid being beaten up. Take distance and don't to be a hero!

Cheers,

Philippe

Hero complex perhaps, but personally I wouldn't really weigh up the pros and cons when injustice or crime unfolds in front of my eyes - I'll act (have many a times, including a knife wielding incident). So despite my "stupidity" I'm still all good and unscathed - fingers crossed. Naturally we're all different, different abilities and move in different 'hoods', nobody better than anyone else, but I don't think it is right to call those people that do take it upon themselves to act "stupid". 

4 minutes ago, arterra said:

Well, to give you an example. In my town - right now - two Romanian "families" busted into the houses of people being absent (on holiday or for work), changed the locks and consider it their property. .......... and NOTHING can be done about it. The police can't intervene due to some "flaw" in our Belgian law. Apparently, if you're not home and bust the burglars at the spot AND they stay in the house ......... believe it or not ...... it's THEIR house. Yep, that's my neck of the woods :wacko: What a beautiful world we live in -_-

Article here and here and here

Cheers,

Philippe

Usually read about that kind of thing squatting in London and that it takes years to have them removed - absurd indeed. Can't bloody leave your house then can you!

arterra    3,756
17 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Usually read about that kind of thing squatting in London and that it takes years to have them removed - absurd indeed. Can't bloody leave your house then can you!

Yeah, but don't confuse it with squatters who occupy old, uninhabited and longtime abandoned buildings. I'm talking about furnished homes where people STILL live in. 

Anyway, the major cause of all aggression is ...... overpopulation. You know people don't make eye contact when in a crowded bus in Belgian cities? I don't call that normal anymore :wacko:

Are we off topic? :huh:

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra
  • Upvote 1

spacecadet    1,386

Squatting is now a criminal offence here. The first person to be prosecuted got 6 months.

• Upvote 1

Alamy    0
58 minutes ago, arterra said:

Are we off topic? :huh:

Yes, by quite a way... :)

Hopefully we all agree this has run it's course. 

We're going to lock before it gets too political...

Cheers

Alamy