GS-Images

Image identification

46 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Herb / ornamental lawn of some kind.  Looks like a mixture of two types of thyme - one silver, one with purple flowers, bronze leaved Leptinella squalida, and white flowered Pratia pedunculata.  Pretty, but ultimately impractical as they grow at different rates.  Could also be used for green roofs as they're pretty drought resistant.

You are a star, that’s very helpful thank you. I’ll do some more investigation.

2 hours ago, Sally said:

You are a star, that’s very helpful thank you. I’ll do some more investigation.

Sally

I took the same type of shot at the RHS Show 2017 and also got the names off the labels that were there. My Image J57R4N

Raoulia australis, Leptinella squalida Platts Black and Pratia pedunculata Alba

Best

Tim

Udderly ridiculous question ... 

I came across some cattle yesterday. They didn't exactly look like ordinary Frisian milk cows. I was thinking Limousin, but I'm not sure. Or maybe a mixed breed? Does anyone know.

cattle-on-a-pasture-in-winter-ruhr-area-

cow-with-muddy-feet-on-a-pasture-in-the-

cattle-on-a-pasture-in-winter-autobahn-a

5 hours ago, Tim Gainey said:

Sally

I took the same type of shot at the RHS Show 2017 and also got the names off the labels that were there. My Image J57R4N

Raoulia australis, Leptinella squalida Platts Black and Pratia pedunculata Alba

Best

Tim

Blimey. Thanks very much. I did take photos of labels of everything else I shot,  it somehow seemed to miss that one. Thanks again. And I think your photo is better :)

I’m hoping there may be some butterfly experts around here. I have tried online identifier sites to try to place this one, but with its wings shut I can’t get a good answer. Anyone have an idea please? I feel bad that I can’t reciprocate all the help I get here. If anyone needs help with anything Scottish related, I might be able to do so :) my professional knowledge is not much help with photography.

close-up-of-large-exotic-grecian-shoemak

2 hours ago, Sally said:

I’m hoping there may be some butterfly experts around here. I have tried online identifier sites to try to place this one, but with its wings shut I can’t get a good answer. Anyone have an idea please? I feel bad that I can’t reciprocate all the help I get here. If anyone needs help with anything Scottish related, I might be able to do so :) my professional knowledge is not much help with photography.

close-up-of-large-exotic-grecian-shoemak

I think it might be Battus polydamas, the Polydamus swallowtail, from the Caribbean and tropical parts of North, Central and South America.  There are some subspecies so it could be one of those.

55 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

I think it might be Battus polydamas, the Polydamus swallowtail, from the Caribbean and tropical parts of North, Central and South America.  There are some subspecies so it could be one of those.

Ah, great. I have an image of another swallowtail, but it has yellow colouring. I will check this out. Thanks once again.

11 hours ago, vpics said:

Udderly ridiculous question ... 

I came across some cattle yesterday. They didn't exactly look like ordinary Frisian milk cows. I was thinking Limousin, but I'm not sure. Or maybe a mixed breed? Does anyone know.

cow-with-muddy-feet-on-a-pasture-in-the-

cattle-on-a-pasture-in-winter-autobahn-a

The big red bull certainly looks like a Limousin, we used to have some.  The cows look more like a Charolais cross with possibly Simmental or maybe Hereford.  But certainly crosses.

Jill

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

The big red bull certainly looks like a Limousin, we used to have some.  The cows look more like a Charolais cross with possibly Simmental or maybe Hereford.  But certainly crosses.

Jill

Thanks Jill, that was very helpful. :-)

Posted (edited)

Those cattle images reminded me of GS-Images, who started this topic. Where did he go? To greener pastures perhaps?

UPDATE: Looks as if Geoff has posted some live news weather shots recently, so I guess he's still in the building.

Edited by John Mitchell

Geoff is still with Alamy but after a few fiascos with red arrows decided not to post on the forums anymore.

Remember this is what drove Philippe Clement away too.

A lot of people on here miss both of them and their very useful, and sometimes fun comments, me included.

Allan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Geoff is still with Alamy but after a few fiascos with red arrows decided not to post on the forums anymore.

Remember this is what drove Philippe Clement away too.

A lot of people on here miss both of them and their very useful, and sometimes fun comments, me included.

Allan

It's a shame. Geoff was one of the few to give me advices when I joined this forum and we will miss him.

20 minutes ago, andremichel said:

What kind of Lamborghini is this?

yellow-lamborghini-parked-outside-grand-

Lamborghini Huracan

8 minutes ago, Rob C said:

Lamborghini Huracan

Thanks. That was quick.

Anybody have a clue what this plant is? Minas Gerais, Brazil. thanks!

Inhotim Institute is a museum and contemporary art museum and botanic garden located in Brumadinho, Brazil - Tropical Stock Photo

I put it as swamp trees (Nyssa aquatica) but I'm not 100%. 

Also this one while we're at it :) 

Inhotim Institute is a museum and contemporary art museum as well as a botanic garden located in Brumadinho in the Stock Photo

I call them beautiful.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Anybody have a clue what this plant is? Minas Gerais, Brazil. thanks!

Inhotim Institute is a museum and contemporary art museum and botanic garden located in Brumadinho, Brazil - Tropical Stock Photo

I put it as swamp trees (Nyssa aquatica) but I'm not 100%. 

Also this one while we're at it :) 

Inhotim Institute is a museum and contemporary art museum as well as a botanic garden located in Brumadinho in the Stock Photo

Top one is, I think, a Beaucarnea, probably recurvata.  Ponytail palm.  The fat, water storing base of the stem is very characteristic.

Bottom one looks to be Bismarckia nobilis, silvery leafed form, a very ornamental palm from Madagascar but widely grown in the tropics, subtropics and even Mediterranean climates.  Too tender for Plymouth, alas.

• Upvote 1

Any Nepal expert here?

I would like to identify the mountain on this shot. It is part of  the Annapurna range, the picture was taken between Thanchowk and Chhitepu.
JRY63W.jpg

cream-and-golden-chested-small-black-bir

If any of the twitchers out there could enlighten me on what this bird is.

Spotted on Tioman Island, Malaysia.

43 minutes ago, 79Photography said:

Might be a "White Rumped Sharma". But not 100% sure.

Allan

Edited by Radim

Edited by Radim

Would anyone be able to tell me what the name is of the below please?

M31H7A.jpg

M31H6N.jpg

15 hours ago, 79Photography said:

I think it’s one of the blue flycatchers. They’re difficult to tell apart, but likely Tickell’s blue or mangrove blue.

Gareth