GS-Images

Image identification

2 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

You could go reverse:

The translation EN-JP.

A cutout of the sign into Google Images.

Just the transcription into Google Images.

You could learn Japanese. Get all peaceful and photograph the sea with shutter speeds of 24 hours.

;-)

wim

I considered once to learn Japanese. 

Then I happened to work for a Japanese company, and it came to my ears that they have 1000 ways of saying yes, with exactly one meaning yes, all others are a variation of NO.

So I asked my japanese boss if that was true and he said YES .... which ones of the 1.000 still remains a mystery to me ;)

The recent japanese translation exercise has encouraged me to stay with English, French and Russian as foreign languages. 

Dank je wel Wim 

2 minutes ago, hdh said:

I considered once to learn Japanese. 

Then I happened to work for a Japanese company, and it came to my ears that they have 1000 ways of saying yes, with exactly one meaning yes, all others are a variation of NO.

So I asked my japanese boss if that was true and he said YES .... which ones of the 1.000 still remains a mystery to me ;)

The recent japanese translation exercise has encouraged me to stay with English, French and Russian as foreign languages. 

Dank je wel Wim 

Gern geschehen Detlef ;-)

So, Ok it's a magnolia in Orlando, Florida, but can anyone ID the variety or Latin name please. I'm not sure at all. 

Magnolia tree leaves, seed pods and red seeds in Florida, USA Stock Photo

11 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Probably Magnolia grandiflora

I'd rather not tag it as such unless certain though. Don't want to mislead.

tresco-abbey-gardens-tresco-isles-of-sci

Anybody know what this flower/shrub is please? It was at Tresco Abbey Garden, Tresco, Isles of Scilly, taken in May.

Many thanks, John.

3 hours ago, Stokie said:

Anybody know what this flower/shrub is please? It was at Tresco Abbey Garden, Tresco, Isles of Scilly, taken in May.

Many thanks, John.

Magnolia Stellata.

If you want/need to find the specific cultivar, that's less easy.

wim

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stokie said:

Many thanks, John.

It's one of the Australian / New Zealand daisy bushes, Olearia sp.  I can't ID it any further than that.  Tresco grow a good few Olearias and they do well down here in SW England.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

It's one of the Australian / New Zealand daisy bushes, Olearia sp.  I can't ID it any further than that.  Tresco grow a good few Olearias and they do well down here in SW England.

John, you're so much better at this. You must be right.

wim

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Magnolia Stellata.

If you want/need to find the specific cultivar, that's less easy.

wim

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Thanks both.

I think it's some sort of Olearia too, at least that's better than nothing that I've got in my tags now!

John.

Another one from Tresco in May too. Any ideas? There wasn't a label or any helpful gardeners around when I took the pic.

John.

It's a flowering spike of a Yucca - I'll check for species later - got to cook dinner!

51 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

It's a flowering spike of a Yucca - I'll check for species later - got to cook dinner!

Many thanks - enjoy your dinner!

John.

Possibly Yucca aloifolia 'Purpurea', Spanish dagger - vicious plants, hardy on Tresco but only barely hardy in mainland UK.  Were the leaves purple tinged as well?

If someone could help me identify these insects I would appreciate it very much. The nest was in a small tree in a North Central Florida wetland area (Gainesville). The photos were taken last month. I've listed them as "paper wasp, polistes exclamans," based on information and photos found through Internet searches. However, though I am trying to learn, I still know relatively little about insects.

KJBN82.jpg

KHJY48.jpg

15 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Possibly Yucca aloifolia 'Purpurea', Spanish dagger - vicious plants, hardy on Tresco but only barely hardy in mainland UK.  Were the leaves purple tinged as well?

Unfortunately the leaves were dried up and looked dead, sorry.

Do all 'Spanish dagger's have white flowers?

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

Unfortunately the leaves were dried up and looked dead, sorry.

Do all 'Spanish dagger's have white flowers?

Most Yuccas do have white flowers, sometimes with a purple flush to them when they're in bud.  There are a couple where the flowers are darker.  The spanish dagger I mentioned is one, Hesperoyucca whipplei is another.  With that species the rosette dies after flowering though it can produce offsets as well as regrow from seed.  I've never seen it in flower - a plant I had died in one of our winters before reaching flowering size - but it's certainly hardy enough for Tresco.  Because your rosette was dead it could well be the Hesperoyucca.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Most Yuccas do have white flowers, sometimes with a purple flush to them when they're in bud.  There are a couple where the flowers are darker.  The spanish dagger I mentioned is one, Hesperoyucca whipplei is another.  With that species the rosette dies after flowering though it can produce offsets as well as regrow from seed.  I've never seen it in flower - a plant I had died in one of our winters before reaching flowering size - but it's certainly hardy enough for Tresco.  Because your rosette was dead it could well be the Hesperoyucca.

I think it might be a Hesperoyucca whipplei, although most flowers again seem to be white whereas these were distinctly purple/magenta coloured.

Thanks for your help again though.

John.