GS-Images

Image identification

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

Hi you lovely lot. I have been told the identity of these by an identification app I sometimes use (it uses humans to look at the photos), and they say they are 60% sure about this one. Would anyone please be able to confirm that this is Rosa banksiae 'Lutea', also known as Lady Banks' Rose. Taken early Summer in southern UK.

Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' (AKA Lady Banks' Rose) growing in early Summer in the UK. Stock Photo  Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' (AKA Lady Banks' Rose) growing in early Summer in the UK. Stock Photo

Time to take some more photos....if my camera hasn't melted from the ridiculous heat we have here in the UK!

Geoff.

No. I do not believe it is Rosa Banksiae Lutea. We have a few of these bushes in our garden and the bud does not have red on the tip.

They look like these.

rosa-banksiae-lutea-C2YH9E.jpg

rosa-banksiae-lutea-C2YHHM.jpg

The top image has sold twice.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that Allan, it looks like you're right.

I struggle identifying plants even more than animals!  :)  I'm not sure where to turn next, but hopefully someone else will give me an idea of what they are.

Geoff.

13 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Thanks for that Allan, it looks like you're right.

I struggle identifying plants even more than animals!  :)  I'm not sure where to turn next, but hopefully someone else will give me an idea of what they are.

Geoff.

Could be a variation of the peace rose. (Rosa Peace). Have a look.

Allan

Purple thistle flower in Malta - any advances on that please?

I0000eyWFYN_ZJiE.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Could be a variation of the peace rose. (Rosa Peace). Have a look.

Allan

Just checked, and it does look similar but whether it's right or not, I don't have a clue. I usually end up deleting images like this. For now I'm just calling it a yellow/orange rose, as that's better than getting it wrong.

As for someone else....you're welcome (said sarcastically). I won't explain! Just had to get it off my chest.  :D

Geoff.

7 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Hi you lovely lot. I have been told the identity of these by an identification app I sometimes use (it uses humans to look at the photos), and they say they are 60% sure about this one. Would anyone please be able to confirm that this is Rosa banksiae 'Lutea', also known as Lady Banks' Rose. Taken early Summer in southern UK.

Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' (AKA Lady Banks' Rose) growing in early Summer in the UK. Stock Photo  Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' (AKA Lady Banks' Rose) growing in early Summer in the UK. Stock Photo

Time to take some more photos....if my camera hasn't melted from the ridiculous heat we have here in the UK!

Geoff.

Very difficult to tell.  Semi double floribunda type is the best I can do.  Definitely not Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Purple thistle flower in Malta - any advances on that please?

I0000eyWFYN_ZJiE.jpg

As Phillippe has already said, Cynara cardunculus.  It's the wild species not one of the cultivated forms.  Which begs the question of how did our distant ancestors decide that was edible, let alone worth cultivating?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Very difficult to tell.  Semi double floribunda type is the best I can do.  Definitely not Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'

Thanks for your help John, I'll take a look at the one you mentioned but unless I'm certain, I think I'll just call it a rose and leave it at that.

Geoff.

I would be grateful for some more help a few flowers.  Both seen in a large garden in East Lothian, Scotland recently.

The first looks like a passion flower but I can't find one with pointed leaves.  

.JDEAM8.jpg

The second I am guessing is a type of rose.

JDEAG7.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sally said:

I would be grateful for some more help a few flowers.  Both seen in a large garden in East Lothian, Scotland recently.

The first looks like a passion flower but I can't find one with pointed leaves.  

.JDEAM8.jpg

The second I am guessing is a type of rose.

JDEAG7.jpg

At last some flowers that I know.

A Clematis (only 300+ different ones but this may well be The President, because it usually is).

And a single Peony.

wim

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

At last some flowers that I know.

A Clematis (only 300+ different ones but this may well be The President, because it usually is).

And a single Peony.

wim

Brilliant, thanks. Of course, I ought to have recognised the clematis. 

Surprised about the peony, as it's much smaller than the ones you usually see.

Edited by Sally

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Brilliant, thanks. Of course, I ought to have recognised the clematis. 

Surprised about the peony, as it's much smaller than the ones you usually see.

Maybe wait until someone identifies the exact right cultivar.

Usually it's best to look for that info in the place where you found them. A show garden will be proud to list them or tell you.

If not try an image search for the garden's name combined with the flower's. Or try the RHS plant finder

A lot of searches for plants do include a cultivar name.

wim

The paeony is either a pure species or species variety if the flower is as small as you say.  It's not one of the lactiflora varieties.  Hope that narrows it down a bit.

59 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

The paeony is either a pure species or species variety if the flower is as small as you say.  It's not one of the lactiflora varieties.  Hope that narrows it down a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion.

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe wait until someone identifies the exact right cultivar.

Usually it's best to look for that info in the place where you found them. A show garden will be proud to list them or tell you.

If not try an image search for the garden's name combined with the flower's. Or try the RHS plant finder

A lot of searches for plants do include a cultivar name.

wim

Yes, I had a guidebook to the garden and got some names from it.

Any ideas what this bird is please? I spent about 2 hours last night trying to find out. There is nothing looking similar that I can find. The closest to the look is a Robin, as it's about that size, maybe a touch larger, and the beak and legs/feet are the same. I cannot find any other photos of a Robin looking like this though, either male or female or a juvenile. It was in the garden in the UK in Summer.

Thanks folks.  :)

Geoff.

Small orange bird. Stock Photo

I also have this one please. What sort of style would you call this? She was very pale and unique, and probably a foreign tourist, but as it was in Brighton anything is possible, as there is a huge variety of different types of people from everywhere in the world there.

Lady cycling along a cycle lane in Summer, wearing a Summer hat. Stock Photo

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Casual sloppy?:D

Allan

I know, I should have taken more care on capturing it, but I was asking what style you'd call her, not my photography skills.  :lol::D

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I know, I should have taken more care on capturing it, but I was asking what style you'd call her, not my photography skills.  :lol::D

Geoff.

:lol::lol::lol: 

Allan

3 hours ago, GS-Images said:

I also have this one please. What sort of style would you call this? She was very pale and unique, and probably a foreign tourist, but as it was in Brighton anything is possible, as there is a huge variety of different types of people from everywhere in the world there.

Naked cyclist wearing clothes?

Edited by geogphotos

3 hours ago, GS-Images said:

She looks like a person who needs to keep the sun off her skin. It could just be a personal preference but I could see the image used in a article about people who have sensitive skin. Something in the keywords about sensitivity to sun, perhaps.

Paulette

She is cycling against the traffic on a pavement? Clear contrast with the other cyclist. 

What about a caption on the lines of being different, going against the flow, finding your own way, making your own rules...etc

Thanks for the suggestions Paulette and geogphotos. She's in a cycle lane next to the pavement, where that other cyclist in the background should probably be (who is in the road).

I will use your comments and try to come up with some more tags. I knew it would be a tough one when I took it.  :)

I'm still unsure of this bird. It's odd that I can't find any others like it.

Small orange bird. Stock Photo