The plant grows in a botanical garden,
Unfortunately no label or gardener nearby
You are right that the flowers are similar to the Persicaria plant,
Grows on poor soil together with Sarracenia and other carnivorous plants
Plant height about 50 cm

Thank you for the message, I welcome every idea,
Perhaps the lost Philippe could help 

Radim

Thanks Radim.  That narrows it down a lot.  Going onto the Prague Botanic Garden website (I assumed that's the one you referred to) I notice that they have a North American peat bog area.  A little bit of investigation throws up Helonias bullata, swamp pink.  Here's a link to a descriptive site.  http://www.jfowlerphotography.com/?p=861

That's one I didn't know.  I do now. ;)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Díky Radimovi. To zužuje to hodně. Navštívit webovou stránku Pražské botanické zahrady (Předpokládal jsem, že je to ten, o kterém jste se zmínil) Všiml jsem si, že mají severoamerickou oblast rašelinišť. Trochu vyšetřování vyhazuje Helonias bullata, bažinaté růžové. Zde je odkaz na popisný web.  http://www.jfowlerphotography.com/?p=861

To je jedno, co jsem nevěděl. Udělám to teď. ;)

Hi John,

my English does not allow me to express my admiration
it's googlish
thanks Radim :)

1 minute ago, Radim said:

Hi John,

my English does not allow me to express my admiration
it's googlish
thanks Radim :)

Glad to help - especially when it provides me with extra knowledge.

On 17/08/2017 at 12:02, Hellonearth said:

Could be a Studebaker - possibly a Studebaker Champion from circa 1958 

Kevin

JXRK0A.jpg

Hi Kevin,

Many apologies for not thanking you sooner for your answer. I've been travelling through Georgia and Armenia and have just got back and am catching up on so much. Can't see the Studebaker Champion link really, certainly not on Google Images. Would anyone else out there have any ideas on the ID of this car?

Thanks.

Rob

Edited by Rob C

A couple of ID's please. I haven't honestly tried to ID these myself yet, as I have so much to do. I've got lots of insects and some ducks to do which I'll look into first, as I know plants usually stump me. Both recent ones, near woodland and a lake in the UK.

K6R1NA.jpg    K6R1N7.jpg

Thanks!  :)

Geoff.

Can someone please help me to identify this bird. It was taken at Central Park in New York. I thought it was a snow goose, but its facial mark just threw me off. I really appreciate for any suggestions.

Thanks

K71M0D.jpg 

2 minutes ago, jondds said:

Can someone please help me to identify this bird. It was taken at Central Park in New York. I thought it was a snow goose, but its facial mark just threw me off. I really appreciate for any suggestions.

Thanks

It's a Muscovy Duck. I don't know what type, but that's at least a starting point for you to look up.

I you don't mind me saying, the white balance is way off. You might want to re-process it, warming up the white balance then re-uploading, as it's very blue (cold) looking.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images

thanks Geoff.  how do you remove the image from AIM?

Edited by jondds

2 hours ago, GS-Images said:

A couple of ID's please. I haven't honestly tried to ID these myself yet, as I have so much to do. I've got lots of insects and some ducks to do which I'll look into first, as I know plants usually stump me. Both recent ones, near woodland and a lake in the UK.

K6R1NA.jpg    K6R1N7.jpg

Thanks!  :)

Geoff.

One on the left is Eupatorium cannabinum (good red stems on that one - they're often paler), one on the right is Clematis vitalba, traveller's joy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

One on the left is Eupatorium cannabinum (good red stems on that one - they're often paler), one on the right is Clematis vitalba, traveller's joy.

Brilliant, thanks John.  :)  I did enhance the red a little to help it stand out, so hopefully a potential client will not think it's over-processed.

I've managed to ID just one of my insects tonight! It took about 3 hours, but I'm certain it's right so I don't need to ask.  :)

Geoff.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:48, Rob C said:

Does anyone have an ID for this 1950s American car?

Thanks.

JXRK0A.jpg

1957 Chevrolet maybe, but the side dont match

Could this be Eupatorium cannabinum please? It's similar to another I have with that ID. I noticed that it's also the same plant as one John ID'd for me yesterday that had more red in it, which looks quite different.

K6W29H.jpg

Also this one. I'm struggling to identify this, but I have a strong suspicion it's the same as one I have in mid-flight, which is a Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus). Can anyone say from this view please? I don't think the plant it's on is important for this shot, but I may as well mention it in the caption if I know it. I'm fairly sure it's the same plant that John ID'd for me recently, a Blue Ageratum.

K3WH4W.jpg

Thanks,

Geoff.

2 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Could this be Eupatorium cannabinum please? It's similar to another I have with that ID. I noticed that it's also the same plant as one John ID'd for me yesterday that had more red in it, which looks quite different.

K6W29H.jpg

Also this one. I'm struggling to identify this, but I have a strong suspicion it's the same as one I have in mid-flight, which is a Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus). Can anyone say from this view please? I don't think the plant it's on is important for this shot, but I may as well mention it in the caption if I know it. I'm fairly sure it's the same plant that John ID'd for me recently, a Blue Ageratum.

K3WH4W.jpg

Thanks,

Geoff.

I'll be able to tell more easily when I can see the larger image tomorrow but the flower looks like Viburnum tinus. I'll agree with the hoverfly ID.  The gold and black bands and white face are indicative of Episyrphus balteatus.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jondds said:

thanks Geoff.  how do you remove the image from AIM?

Look at the optional section, and the delete button is at the bottom of that.

5 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I'll be able to tell more easily when I can see the larger image tomorrow but the flower looks like Viburnum tinus. I'll agree with the hoverfly ID.  The gold and black bands and white face are indicative of Episyrphus balteatus.

Thank you John, I'm so grateful.  :)

Here's a closer view of the plant.

f9.jpg

Geoff.

20 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Thank you John, I'm so grateful.  :)

Here's a closer view of the plant.

f9.jpg

Geoff.

Yep, Viburnum tinus.  Common as muck, ugly to boot - but it does flower in Autumn and Winter.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Yep, Viburnum tinus.  Common as muck, ugly to boot - but it does flower in Autumn and Winter.

Great, thanks again.

I'm currently trying to identify some ducks. I thought it would be easy as I already had a good idea what they were, yet looking at other examples, I now think they are probably hybrids. Why do ducks have to mate with other species? It makes it very hard to identify them.  :)

Geoff.

I'm going to have to ask about these ducks after hours researching.  :(

My opinion is that these are a hybrid of Gadwell ducks and Mallard ducks. They are in a place that is known for having Mallard hybrids. The head of both sexes are much more of a Mallard shape than Gadwell, but some of the colouring is very much Gadwell-like. I'm not even sure which are male or female because the feathers don't match my research. So I can only think that they're all hybrids between Gadwells and Mallards, although there could be Teal ducks in there too! Maybe Gadwell/Teal hybrids? I have others not uploaded yet, and closeups I can put here if needed.

K73YHH.jpg

K73YH8.jpg

Please someone ask about something that I know how to identify myself!  :D  I've only managed to ID one from someone else so far.  :)

Geoff.

On 9/14/2017 at 13:52, Roger Johansen said:

1957 Chevrolet maybe, but the side dont match

Its a 1957 Ford Fairlane. 

1 hour ago, Johnnie5 said:

Its a 1957 Ford Fairlane. 

Thanks for clearing that up Johnnie. Much appreciated.

4 hours ago, GS-Images said:

I'm going to have to ask about these ducks after hours researching.  :(

My opinion is that these are a hybrid of Gadwell ducks and Mallard ducks. They are in a place that is known for having Mallard hybrids. The head of both sexes are much more of a Mallard shape than Gadwell, but some of the colouring is very much Gadwell-like. I'm not even sure which are male or female because the feathers don't match my research. So I can only think that they're all hybrids between Gadwells and Mallards, although there could be Teal ducks in there too! Maybe Gadwell/Teal hybrids? I have others not uploaded yet, and closeups I can put here if needed.

K73YHH.jpg

K73YH8.jpg

Please someone ask about something that I know how to identify myself!  :D  I've only managed to ID one from someone else so far.  :)

Geoff.

Try Garganey. Female of the species.

Allan

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Try Garganey. Female of the species.

Thanks Allan. I've looked at those and they do look similar in some ways. I don't think it's right though to be honest, mainly because of the male (or maybe it's just a different looking female?). All these ducks were happily sitting together so I'd imagine they're the same species, although I know sometimes Mallards can join in an afternoon nap with other species.

This is a crop of one of the others, which looks quite different from both male and female Garganey ducks.

duck1.jpg

Geoff.

Lesser Whistling Duck maybe? That last crop I posted has a very similar look. The feathers are different but that could be the age. I'm going to look deeper into that.

Geoff.

Did I get this one  right?

Meadow pipit (Anthus pratensis) 

meadow-pipit-anthus-pratensis-searchin-f

meadow-pipit-anthus-pratensis-searchin-f

No idea hdh, sorry.

I still don't know about my duck ones. They must be hybrids but I just don't know, and it's so frustrating because I've spent a long time on that now so I have to move on to others.

I have some spiders, and I'm trying hard to find out for myself, but I keep finding misidentified images all over the Internet, so it's hard to know what's right. These first 2 spiders look to be either Metellina Segmentata or Metellina Mengei, as they look similar to one I identified recently and John said it could be something else, but was definitely a Metellina of some sort, so it was between Segmentata and Mengei.

K633GP.jpg

K6R1M0.jpg

I'm unsure about this one. It's eating a bug of some sort so I could just tag this as a spider eating a bug. Has it wrapped it up in something? It looks disgusting!  :)

K56R0B.jpg

Geoff.