GS-Images

Image identification

17 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Yes I was amazed to see it. Brilliant light for it too, luckily, so the pollen really stands out. I went to the same place again today and found several different species of bees/wasps/flies. As always I'll try to ID them myself and will only ask if I can't be sure.

Geoff.

Message from Philippe.

Hi, could someone tell Geoff (GS-Images) that his picture is that of a European honey bee (Apis mellifera) totally covered in pollen? Thanks, Philippe (can't help helping)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Message from Philippe.

Hi, could someone tell Geoff (GS-Images) that his picture is that of a European honey bee (Apis mellifera) totally covered in pollen? Thanks, Philippe (can't help helping)

Thanks Allan, already received and I'm in touch directly with Philippe. He wrote to me because he's having problems with his cows, and needed my advice. :)

Hope you got my last email by the way Allan?

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Hope you got my last email by the way Allan?

Geoff.

Yep! received  will answer in due course.

Allan

Ahhhhh. Send him my love.... I miss him soooooooo much.

Paulette

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Ahhhhh. Send him my love.... I miss him soooooooo much.

Paulette

Done.   :)

Geoff.

Oh poo.   *Cry*

Well I've tried to ID this thing and I know I'm close, but as always, I can't find example images that perfectly match mine. I think it is probably a European Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula). It isn't a Yellow Jacket, and probably not a Hornet. The thicker black bands compared to yellow bands are what make me think that the closest match is a Paper Wasp. The yellow part where it narrows is mainly what's making me question my ID. Also the antenna are very short compared with all the other images I've seen.

K4H30A.jpg

K4H309.jpg

Geoff.

42 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Oh poo.   *Cry*

Well I've tried to ID this thing and I know I'm close, but as always, I can't find example images that perfectly match mine. I think it is probably a European Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula). It isn't a Yellow Jacket, and probably not a Hornet. The thicker black bands compared to yellow bands are what make me think that the closest match is a Paper Wasp. The yellow part where it narrows is mainly what's making me question my ID. Also the antenna are very short compared with all the other images I've seen.

K4H30A.jpg

K4H309.jpg

Geoff.

Lovely images, what lens/camera are you using?

Mark

2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Lovely images, what lens/camera are you using?

Mark

Thanks Mark. It's my usual Nikon D7100 (APS-C) with Sigma 105mm Macro lens, which has optical stabilisation. If the subject is still, then the OS does a very good job even at lowish shutter speeds at macro distances. It's often said that you can't get good macro shots without a tripod - Well that's nonsense, as I often do, but without OS I would struggle. Of course a tripod would be better so I could slow the shutter and increase the DoF with a narrower aperture, as long as the subject remains still. I've done some focus-stacking shots of insects too with very narrow DoF, hand-held, then using Photoshop to stack them together and get a nice sharp shot of the whole thing. I've done several of those in the last few days that I haven't got around to stacking yet.

Geoff.

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

Oh poo.   *Cry*

K4H30A.jpg

K4H309.jpg

Geoff.

Look at the antennae, Geoff.  Then at the waist.  Short, stubby antennae and thicker waist show it's a wasp mimic hoverfly, not a true wasp.

Xanthogramma pedissequum.  Adult male.

Good lens the Sigma 105mm OS, though I find I can't get steady shots at less than 1/100sec at macro distances.  Having a few problems with it on the Canon 80D.  At macro distances it underexposes by about 2 stops, though it was fine on my older 600D.  You'll probably be fine on Nikon.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Look at the antennae, Geoff.  Then at the waist.  Short, stubby antennae and thicker waist show it's a wasp mimic hoverfly, not a true wasp.

Xanthogramma pedissequum.  Adult male.

Good lens the Sigma 105mm OS, though I find I can't get steady shots at less than 1/100sec at macro distances.  Having a few problems with it on the Canon 80D.  At macro distances it underexposes by about 2 stops, though it was fine on my older 600D.  You'll probably be fine on Nikon.

John, many many thanks once again. I get so frustrated that I cannot seem to get these ID's right!  :)  I search for hours sometimes before asking here too. The short antennae did bother me as I could see it didn't match other examples of Paper Wasps, which is why I asked here. Looking up Xanthogramma pedissequum, I can instantly see that is a perfect match! So I appreciate your help very much.

Yes it's a lovely lens on my Nikon. I've had it for 2 or more years now and find it's amazingly good for hand-held macro shots. The side view of that insect was taken at 1/500th, f5, ISO400. I can go slower for stationary subjects but obviously the closer I get, the more any movement in the camera or subject shows up as blur. It's a shame you get the underexposure problem, which I don't get. The closer it focuses though, the more it automatically closes the aperture from it's maximum of f2.8, down to around f5 I think it is. So I'd imagine the problem is related to the lens closing the aperture but not communicating that with the camera. Probably something a firmware update could fix?

Thanks again,

Geoff.

The thread somehow got changed - Was confused there for a minute.

I KNOW what this spider is! If I'm wrong about this I'll.......eat a cow.

This is a Longjawed Orbweaver (Metellina Segmentata), right? Yep, I'm sure.  :)

K4H308.jpg

Geoff.

45 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

The thread somehow got changed - Was confused there for a minute.

I KNOW what this spider is! If I'm wrong about this I'll.......eat a cow.

This is a Longjawed Orbweaver (Metellina Segmentata), right? Yep, I'm sure.  :)

K4H308.jpg

Geoff.

Be careful.  Metellina is the species, no problems there, but your specimen has underside markings which match a female M.mengei.  They're difficult to tell apart without physical examination.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Be careful.  Metellina is the species, no problems there, but your specimen has underside markings which match a female M.mengei.  They're difficult to tell apart without physical examination.

Well you won't catch me examining a spider.  :lol:  Thanks for the info John. I'm not sure how I'll tag it in that case, maybe just stick with Metelina. I'll have a look at the Mengei tomorrow though, and compare it with a closeup of my image and see how convinced I am that it's right.

Just now, spacecadet said:

Relish with your steak, Geoff?

Hey I was half right!  :D

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if I got this one 100% correct: 

Male black-tailed skimmer, Orthetrum cancellatum

male-black-tailed-skimmer-orthetrum-canc

On 9. 6. 2017 at 09:49, GS-Images said:

Zajímalo by mě, zda by se pro zadání identifikace našich obrázků nechalo stranou nějaká vlákna. Vím, že někteří si budou myslet, že bychom neměli střílet, pokud nevíme, co to je, ale s tím nesouhlasím. Také to může být viděno jako pomoc při soutěži. No, nemyslím si, že trochu pomůže tady a tam bude nějaký skutečný rozdíl, a mnoho z příspěvků dolu a ostatních lidí pomáhá druhým různými způsoby, stejně jako jejich příspěvky někdy pomoz mi. Pojďme se o tom debatovat jinde a necháme tento podproces pro žádost o totožnost. Pokud se k tomu přidá nikdo jiný, žádný problém, předpokládám, že nikdo jiný nemá rád tento nápad.  :)

Na začátek se budu ptát, jestli někdo ví, co tohle rostlina / keř / keř / květina je prosím. Strávil jsem nějaký čas zkoumáním a nechal jsem škrábat hlavu.

f1.jpg

Plodina ukázat detailní a opustí ...
f2.jpg

Dík!  :)
Geoff.

Maybe Euphorbia wulfenii

Radim

• Upvote 1

On 14. 6. 2017 at 12:57, Sally said:

Rád bych pomohl s vědomím, co je to květina / rostlina.

Dík.

JA4AN1.jpg

Thalictrum aquilegiifolium

Radim

• Upvote 1

Hi Radim. Thanks for both your ID's above, I'm grateful for your help. I have so much to do at the moment that I don't have time to look deeper into it now, but I'll keep the emails and look again soon. I just wanted to say thanks now before other posts were added.

Have a good Weekend,

Geoff.

3 hours ago, hdh said:

Not sure if I got this one 100% correct: 

Male black-tailed skimmer, Orthetrum cancellatum

male-black-tailed-skimmer-orthetrum-canc

Yes.

2 hours ago, Radim said:

Thalictrum aquilegiifolium

Radim

Thank you.

I've looked at my spider, and the 3 options I've been given could all be right. So I just don't know. I'll have to leave it I think. Shame because I like the photo. I suppose I could just call it a spider! Yep, a spider in a web, that'll have to do unless I get a more definite answer. I don't want to risk getting it wrong.

Geoff.

A few more from me for ID's please.

I don't think the exact plant matters here, or if it's possible to know from this shot. What should I call a flower/plant in this state of growth though? Also the insect. I don't think it's a honey bee but maybe a German Yellowjacket?

K18BTX.jpg

I think this is a type of African Daisy as it looks similar to others planted alongside it, which I know are African Daisies. This one looks similar to more than one type, so I don't want to guess.

K42D0Y.jpg

Some sort of Thistle, I think.

JYX9NF.jpg

That'll do for now.  :)

Geoff.

2 hours ago, GS-Images said:

A few more from me for ID's please.

I don't think the exact plant matters here, or if it's possible to know from this shot. What should I call a flower/plant in this state of growth though? Also the insect. I don't think it's a honey bee but maybe a German Yellowjacket?

K18BTX.jpg

I think this is a type of African Daisy as it looks similar to others planted alongside it, which I know are African Daisies. This one looks similar to more than one type, so I don't want to guess.

K42D0Y.jpg

Some sort of Thistle, I think.

JYX9NF.jpg

That'll do for now.  :)

Geoff.

No 1 - Honey bee again on Eupatorium cannabinum

No 2 - more likely another cosmos

No 3 - Echinops ritro

Bored with ID'ing moths. ;)