Yep, Gen is correct.

Black-crowned night heron Nycticorax nycticorax

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks Philippe

Hai Nguyen    3
On 8/10/2017 at 20:52, Hai Nguyen said:

Hi everyone!

Everyone is so friendly here... its great to be a new contributor here!

Would you please help with identifying this tree?

This was was shot in Australia during the end of Autumn, early Winter.

yellow-leaf-tree-during-autumn-camden-ne

Thanks

Hai :)

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Hai

arterra    3,757
16 minutes ago, Hai Nguyen said:

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Hai

Impossible to name, based on just a few leaves. No pictures of the whole tree, the bark, etc? Location? Native tree or in a botanical garden?

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

Hai Nguyen    3
10 minutes ago, arterra said:

Impossible to name, based on just a few leaves. No pictures of the whole tree, the bark, etc? Location? Native tree or in a botanical garden?

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Unfortunately all the other shots are just of the leaves - no full tree.

I think its a native. Tree was just on the street.

Oh well... learnt something. Next time need a full tree shot as well so that I can identify the tree! Perhaps I might pass by the same tree on my next photographic opportunity in Camden and take a shot during Winter.

Thanks

Hai

Allan Bell    986
4 hours ago, Hai Nguyen said:

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Hai

Could be Tupelo Nyssa sylvatica. 

The genus Nyssa comprises five species, three from eastern USA and two from China and SE Asia.

Tupelo is the common one. Remains dull green until early autumn then becomes blaze of glossy scarlet, gold, and finally red.

But don't quote me.:)

Allan

John Mitchell    1,894
8 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Here.  Gunnera manicata judging by the size of the leaves.

Thanks very much. That's the one I was looking at after Philippe suggested Gunneraceae. It does look a bit like a giant rhubarb plant, a bit scary actually.

You guys really know your big green leafy things. B)

arterra    3,757
7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks very much. That's the one I was looking at after Philippe suggested Gunneraceae. It does look a bit like a giant rhubarb plant, a bit scary actually.

You guys really know your big green leafy things. B)

You bet! They strangle people and swallow them whole ........ feet first :o

F6PAD8.jpg

Tourist sticking head through giant leaf of poor man's umbrella (Gunnera insignis) in forest, Tapanti National Park, Costa Rica

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra

John Mitchell    1,894
25 minutes ago, arterra said:

You bet! They strangle people and swallow them whole ........ feet first :o

F6PAD8.jpg

Tourist sticking head through giant leaf of poor man's umbrella (Gunnera insignis) in forest, Tapanti National Park, Costa Rica

Cheers,

Philippe

Ah yes, the old Venus tourist trap. Come to think of it, I've seen plants like these in Costa Rica. The locals do indeed use the giant leaves as umbrellas.

P.S. Could my specimen actually be Gunnera insignis, I wonder.

Edited by John Mitchell

John Richmond    411
17 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

P.S. Could my specimen actually be Gunnera insignis, I wonder.

Probably not in Vancouver.  Gunnera manicata is from the highland area of Brazil which gets regular frosts.  It's a lot hardier than the more tropical Gunneras.  The ones you've photographed are not full size yet so a little more delicate than the full grown beasts, For example, photographed in Cornwall:

giant-leaves-of-the-moisture-loving-gunnera-manicata-E71JXM.jpg

Too big for my garden!  I grow the smaller Peltiphyllum peltatum which has smaller, but still massive, leaves.

John Mitchell    1,894
5 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Probably not in Vancouver.  Gunnera manicata is from the highland area of Brazil which gets regular frosts.  It's a lot hardier than the more tropical Gunneras.  The ones you've photographed are not full size yet so a little more delicate than the full grown beasts, For example, photographed in Cornwall:

giant-leaves-of-the-moisture-loving-gunnera-manicata-E71JXM.jpg

Too big for my garden!  I grow the smaller Peltiphyllum peltatum which has smaller, but still massive, leaves.

Thanks again. That must be some garden you have.

John Richmond    411

This is part of it: I like exotics.

part-of-a-small-densely-planted-exotic-themed-garden-in-plymouth-uk-EX3133.jpg

Now I'm retired I'm also a volunteer at The Garden House at Buckland Monachorum, Devon.  There's 10 acres with about a dozen different garden areas and a collection of over 6000 different plants.  I do their photography for promotion in local magazines and papers, point of sale in the nursery, website etc and, in return, have full access any time throughout the year with full permission to sell my images from there. Heaven!

John Mitchell    1,894
14 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

This is part of it: I like exotics.

part-of-a-small-densely-planted-exotic-themed-garden-in-plymouth-uk-EX3133.jpg

Now I'm retired I'm also a volunteer at The Garden House at Buckland Monachorum, Devon.  There's 10 acres with about a dozen different garden areas and a collection of over 6000 different plants.  I do their photography for promotion in local magazines and papers, point of sale in the nursery, website etc and, in return, have full access any time throughout the year with full permission to sell my images from there. Heaven!

Very nice. Your own personal Garden of Eden...

Hai Nguyen    3
6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Could be Tupelo Nyssa sylvatica. 

The genus Nyssa comprises five species, three from eastern USA and two from China and SE Asia.

Tupelo is the common one. Remains dull green until early autumn then becomes blaze of glossy scarlet, gold, and finally red.

But don't quote me.:)

Allan

Thanks Allan

Ill look it up. Not sure if it became fiery red at all.

Hai

Sally    23

Would love some help identifying the flowers and the bee if possible. In a walled community garden in Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland today.

Many thanks.

JWHB37.jpg

Is it a type of sunflower?

Edited by Sally

GS-Images    1,183

Sally, I'd guess at some sort of daisy. Looks like some of my Livingstone Daisies (but it's not that, just a similar type of beast).

Maybe they're Revolution Gerbera Daisies? That really is a guess by doing some Googling, but it might give you a starting place.

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images

Sally    23
12 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Sally, I'd guess at some sort of daisy. Looks like some of my Livingstone Daisies (but it's not that, just a similar type of beast).

Maybe they're Revolution Gerbera Daisies? That really is a guess by doing some Googling, but it might give you a starting place.

Geoff.

Thanks. That leads me to the Black eyed Susan variety but the shape of the laves and size of the central part of the flower look a but different. eg here

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-black-eyed-susan-rudbeckia-hirta-orange-and-red-flower-close-up-126482666.html

GS-Images    1,183
3 minutes ago, Sally said:

Thanks. That leads me to the Black eyed Susan variety but the shape of the laves and size of the central part of the flower look a but different. eg here

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-black-eyed-susan-rudbeckia-hirta-orange-and-red-flower-close-up-126482666.html

The one I mentioned looks a lot closer to it than the Black Eyed Susan. I have a Black Eyed Susan too - Well I hope I do, if I got the ID correct when I researched it.  :)

Black Eyed Susan plant (Rudbeckia hirta) growing in Summer in the UK. Stock Photo

Geoff.

GS-Images    1,183

Any ideas on this please?

JD92KA.jpg

I can post a closer crop if it'll help. Taken in June, southern England.

Also this, June in southern England.

JC7M3Y.jpg

Thanks.  :)

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images

arterra    3,757
40 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

JD92KA.jpg

JC7M3Y.jpg

Geoff.

Could the second one be common hollyhock / Alcea rosea?

Just a wild guess.

Cheers,

Philippe

John Richmond    411
3 hours ago, Sally said:

Would love some help identifying the flowers and the bee if possible. In a walled community garden in Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland today.

Many thanks.

JWHB37.jpg

Is it a type of sunflower?

Helenium (sneezeweed).  Looks a lot like 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' but there are similar cultivars

John Richmond    411
1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

JD92KA.jpg

JC7M3Y.jpg

Geoff.

Top one is Olearia macrodonta. You put up a shot with the flowers gone over recently.

Bottom one is a Lavatera (tree mallow).  Can't tell the exact species or cultivar but it looks like one of the perennial rather than annual ones.

• Upvote 1

Sally    23
2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Helenium (sneezeweed).  Looks a lot like 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' but there are similar cultivars

Yep, that's definitely it. many thanks indeed.

GS-Images    1,183
11 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Top one is Olearia macrodonta. You put up a shot with the flowers gone over recently.

Bottom one is a Lavatera (tree mallow).  Can't tell the exact species or cultivar but it looks like one of the perennial rather than annual ones.

Thank you once again John. Your knowledge of flowers always impresses me! You're a big help.

Geoff.

arterra    3,757

FG_PAvB0mQMvVjNmtVGXDjg8VomyJOslSk9kZOl6hnSyOdqEdZTBA8cnAi4FzasY5_lVwdVHiG06NO69XB9BH5-UctEUO3653a6KTR1J84lZ-pLVSSVDvPDG5Fif1x7pGluQb5LAoPkk2b8JvRLUzFaXLVqM6P6UB4nViQnJpbER7xbL6FQ0jb9Sm1aPtCTMIcB0XqM9iCG59hUUhx0Pglj3IJgxpizOsMK1PZ0blyt-lJbIgWJ_Z87lAJjFIvyrHA6aIHZUMxxZTkcpRo_DNi84qec3f0_3SG8PfTskXCXIduhEWMcak98vCxKYTAvhyKA6FqOrGVK0sc6XHGM6zmROW-a0pTqLckypw1R1Bfb9BuTTzDT9mK9t_GkXVE1JG9J8Brzdv7ChRn0hOI5X7gp7vjCdeGIiMJMKywsjz3FAGcYuycwGXNK9gszHpVAgIfUSXum5UrmpHVSXiqzh_FJCSkQGe5qCPv0E9tPfak7E2fwYZBzrpWIAKqK1QkOnpM99tprTD0JfMzU6TmgyCXNG996g9W9ICwrFj3USgvZYg4kicGTvnErXwFpBFJc-5m2XQNpqA0WiNJspwJx5yh47oLMiqaR6z-k57JrAADjR0T2JQUNw=w800-h534-no

HELP :o

Any idea which vehicle this might be. Riding it are Belgian para-commandos during a re-enactment. Not even sure if this vehicle is used by the Belgian army. Zooming in doesn't reveal any brand nor logo.

Cheers,

Philippe