GS-Images

Image identification

GS-Images    1,182

I'm wondering about having a specific thread set aside for requesting identification of our images. I know some will think we shouldn't take the shot if we don't know what it is, but I don't agree with that. Also, it could be seen as helping the competition - Well I don't think a little help here and there is going to make any real difference, and many of mine and other people's posts help others in various ways, just as their posts sometimes help me. Let's debate that elsewhere though and leave this thread for asking for ID. If nobody else adds to it, no problem, I'll assume nobody else likes the idea.  :)

For a start I'll ask if anyone knows what this plant/bush/shrub/flower is please. I've spent some time researching it and am left scratching my head.

f1.jpg

A crop to show a closeup and leaves...
f2.jpg

Thanks!  :)
Geoff.

arterra    3,756

Location? Wildflower? Garden flower? ;)

Cheers,
Philippe

GS-Images    1,182
Just now, arterra said:

Location? Wildflower? Garden flower? ;)

Cheers,
Philippe

Arrr yea, I should have said. Southern England, UK. Probably classed as wild but it's in a park, so I'm not sure. Late Spring / Early Summer.

Geoff.

GS-Images    1,182
2 minutes ago, arterra said:

Looks like Mediterranean spurge / Euphorbia characias (subspecies wulfenii). 
Not absolutely sure. I'd look in the direction of "Euphorbia" though. 

Cheers
Philippe

Fantastic! Often a starting point is all that's needed with ID's such as this. The first image I pulled up after Googling Euphorbia characias looking identical to mine. Thanks so much Philippe, it's a big help. Greenie award to you of course.  :)

Geoff.

arterra    3,756

My pleasure ;). Beware there are two subspecies though which look different.

Cheers
Philippe

GS-Images    1,182

Yep I've already seen similar ones - That's the way it always goes with plants though.  :)  I'll get there now anyway as I know it's one of a few options.

Geoff.

John Richmond    411

Yes, that's Euphorbia characias ssp wulfenii.  The nectar glands, the horned things in the centre of the individual 'flowers' (they're not flowers but modified leaves - cyathia), are yellow in ssp wulfenii, dark brown in ssp characias and it's varieties like 'Black Pearl'.

• Upvote 2

GS-Images    1,182

Thanks John, I concluded the same after researching it with Philippe's help, and have now tagged it appropriately.

Have a good Weekend,
Geoff.

Sally    23

I'd love some help knowing what this flower/plant is.

Thanks.

JA4AN1.jpg

Edited by Sally

arterra    3,756

Location? Garden flowers? Wildflowers? 

It's big world out there, with lots of flower species ;-)

Cheers,

Philippe

PS: best to start a new thread 

GS-Images    1,182
5 minutes ago, arterra said:

No not a new thread!  :P  That's the point of this thread, to give a place to ask and keep it all together. Sally is the first to add one, which I'd help with if I had a clue.  :)

Geoff.

Sally    23
6 minutes ago, arterra said:

Location? Garden flowers? Wildflowers? 

It's big world out there, with lots of flower species ;-)

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes, sorry, I meant to put some information then forgot.  Taken in an open garden in Scotland this month. 

Sally    23
1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

No not a new thread!  :P  That's the point of this thread, to give a place to ask and keep it all together. Sally is the first to add one, which I'd help with if I had a clue.  :)

Geoff.

That's what I thought, cheers.

arterra    3,756
4 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Geoff.

Oeps! My bad :o

Cheers,

Philippe

Photography Prints
 Fine Art Collection Arterra

kay    97

some kind of Meadow Rue Sally? 

John Richmond    411

Thalictrum aquilegifolium.  Could be the darker form 'Black Stockings' unless it's a very small form such as 'Small Thundercloud'.

Sally    23
18 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Thalictrum aquilegifolium.  Could be the darker form 'Black Stockings' unless it's a very small form such as 'Small Thundercloud'.

Thanks a lot. I knew someone would know!

Allan Bell    985
On 14/06/2017 at 12:40, GS-Images said:

Geoff.

Geoff if you want this to be the goto thread for identification requests I would suggest you ask Alamy to pin it near the top of the list.B)

Allan

GS-Images    1,182
4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Geoff if you want this to be the goto thread for identification requests I would suggest you ask Alamy to pin it near the top of the list.B)

Allan

Good idea Allan. It's up to Alamy if they think it might be worth being pinned, so admin please do so if you think it's a good thing. It hasn't been a very popular thread so far so it may not be wanted by most.

Geoff.

Allan Bell    985
Just now, GS-Images said:

Good idea Allan. It's up to Alamy if they think it might be worth being pinned, so admin please do so if you think it's a good thing. It hasn't been a very popular thread so far so it may not be wanted by most.

Geoff.

But we do get a lot of requests over time for identification of various subjects.:huh:

Allan

GS-Images    1,182
Just now, Allan Bell said:

But we do get a lot of requests over time for identification of various subjects.:huh:

Allan

Yea we do get some quite often. I'm sure Alamy read most the threads so I'll leave it to them. I would like it to be pinned if possible.

Geoff.

Allan Bell    985
Just now, GS-Images said:

Yea we do get some quite often. I'm sure Alamy read most the threads so I'll leave it to them. I would like it to be pinned if possible.

Geoff.

The only way to get them to pin it is to email admin and ask. They can only say "NO".:angry:

Allan

GS-Images    1,182
14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The only way to get them to pin it is to email admin and ask. They can only say "NO".:angry:

Allan

Why angry? I have asked, in here just now, and they do tend to read the threads. I don't want to email them just to ask that - I bother them enough as it is. :)

Geoff.