Sign in to follow this  
Alexandre Fagundes

Game changing?

Recommended Posts

This will definitely sound weird, but...

I uploaded a lot of images and had only one sale.

Than Alamy changed its interface and I realized all my images had poor discoverability.

I was trying to use very relevant, but few keywords to increase my CTR.

Well, I decided to add a lot of keywords to some images so get the status fully discoverable

I didn't spam, they are keywords related to the images, but some a bit generic like picturesque, horizontal, traditional, etc.

And the sales came, is not crazy number, but one or two per month.

Now the crazy part, so far none of the sales are of the images with "enhanced" keywords...

Dont know what to say, but I am seriously thinking about "enhancing" all my images keywords

Have you guys had similar experiences?

Thank you

Alex

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discoverability means nothing.  It does not improve your rank simply because you have a lot of keywords.

If you say the sales were not of the enhanced keywords, then why are you thinking of adding more to your images. A lot of work for nothing in my opinion.

Jill

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alexandre Fagundes said:

Now the crazy part, so far none of the sales are of the images with "enhanced" keywords...

Dont know what to say, but I am seriously thinking about "enhancing" all my images keywords

If none of the sales are from "enhanced" then I do not understand what you are trying to say.  Seems the non-enhanced ones are selling better?  And by enhanced to you mean the "super tags"?  If so there is a comment on the Alamy blog that alleges that using "Super tags" actually drops a particular image by many pages in the rank.  No comment back from Alamy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... If none of the images that licensed were ones with enhanced keywords, then why are you thinking of "enhancing" all your images?

Your increased sales may be the result of improved ranking. Once you start making sales, your rank really goes up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exact opposite for me- not a single file with good discoverability. Have never revisited keywords once uploaded yet when new engine appeared my CTR jumped from about 0..5 to around 1.0 within a month and state there with sales showing a similar increase but prices have remained low and decreasing.

 

Regen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alexandre Fagundes said:

...

And the sales came, is not crazy number, but one or two per month.

...

 

First thing - I tried to go to your portfolio by using the number under your avatar but it's broken, can't get in, can't see your work. The same with other users.

Second - you have almost 6200 files and no sales? :o Something must be very wrong with the images or even more with keywords, as you should see at least few sales monthly.

Third thing - 1 or 2 sales more is nothing, it tells nothing about any changes. Other thing would be with at least 10 + sales more with your number of images. That would make a significant sign of changes.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arletta said:

 

First thing - I tried to go to your portfolio by using the number under your avatar but it's broken, can't get in, can't see your work. The same with other users.

 

The feature isn't working yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others said before me:

Now the crazy part, so far none of the sales are of the images with "enhanced" keywords...

and

Dont know what to say, but I am seriously thinking about "enhancing" all my images keywords

Makes no possible logical sense.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arletta said:

 

First thing - I tried to go to your portfolio by using the number under your avatar but it's broken, can't get in, can't see your work. The same with other users.

...

 

http://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={6B4CA36A-4DEF-4B18-8AD7-8C31CC88BAE0}&name=Alexandre+Fagundes&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

 

Edited by Cryptoprocta
Correct link formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Arletta said:

 

First thing - I tried to go to your portfolio by using the number under your avatar but it's broken, can't get in, can't see your work. The same with other users.

Second - you have almost 6200 files and no sales? :o Something must be very wrong with the images or even more with keywords, as you should see at least few sales monthly.

Third thing - 1 or 2 sales more is nothing, it tells nothing about any changes. Other thing would be with at least 10 + sales more with your number of images. That would make a significant sign of changes.

I see Arletta, as I said, I am having one or two sales per month, certainly better than no sales last year.

My CTR didnt change much since the begining, I have some zooms and views (54 zooms for the last 12 months to be precise). None of my sales have been zoomed.

The one thing did changed was that I have now some images with high discoverability, I suspect this changed my ranking, this could be an explanation

The other, as John Mitchel suggested is that the sales changed my ranking,

Well, than it took a long time, even after my first sale last year.

Anyway, I am content (not excited, but content) on having one or two sales monthly, because the prices have been  better than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very likely, at least part of the explanation lies in this line under your avatar: "Joined Alamy:03 Feb 2016". Some people get sales right off the bat, but I think most don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy keep the inner workings of the search engine a closely guarded secret. As such, most of what contributor's think effects ranking is an educated guess based upon experience.

We don't know 100% for certain that CTR still effects "Ranking" as this became rather unclear about 6 months ago. It seems likely that "sales" effect ranking but again, we can't be 100% certain if and how much effect it has. And for all we know, number of optimised images might play and impact in the calculation.

So the best that you can do is just keep doing what you think is right!

Edited by Matt Ashmore
fixing typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alexandre, let me point out that I do not have a single image with "good discoverability," not one. Yet I'm been averaging 10 sales a month with a collection that is only half as large as yours. What's my secrete? I don't have one. My ranking is very good, but as people have been saying over and over, this is a long game. If you continue to produce good images, do sensible tagging, don't spam, don't fail QC, and keep uploading regularly, you'll do fine. Don't focus on things that you have no control over, and don't keep changing directions.

Have a nice summer . . . or in your case a nice winter. :)

Edited by Ed Rooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I accidentally got one image to green this afternoon, the first for months. I pasted over keywords from an old image.

Incidentally it's still an incredibly laborious process. Highlight (very carefully so as not to drag the tag), copy, paste into Word, run macro to remove CR/LF, recopy, paste, combine tags. It would be nice to be able to do it properly. But after half a year I'm not holding my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people here have said to me many times that patience and again patience.
I think your work is done not in vain, sooner or later it will be to your advantage.
I always say how much "in poverty" do not live, and wealth can not escape.
If Alami recommends, then under this and adjusts his and our work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Alexandre, let me point out that I do not have a single image with "good discoverability," not one. Yet I'm been averaging 10 sales a month with a collection that is only half as large as yours. What's my secrete? I don't have one. My ranking is very good, but as people have been saying over and over, this is a long game. If you continue to produce good images, do sensible tagging, don't spam, don't fail QC, and keep uploading regularly, you'll do fine. Don't focus on things that you have no control over, and don't keep changing directions.

Have a nice summer . . . or in your case a nice winter. :)

I now have two images with optimized discoverability. It was a lot of work dreaming up all those tags. Not sure I'll make it to three...

That said, I guess it's possible that having a lot of images with good / optimized "discoverability" might affect rank in a positive way. Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2017 at 8:16 PM, Alexandre Fagundes said:

This will definitely sound weird, but...

I uploaded a lot of images and had only one sale.

Than Alamy changed its interface and I realized all my images had poor discoverability.

I was trying to use very relevant, but few keywords to increase my CTR.

Well, I decided to add a lot of keywords to some images so get the status fully discoverable

I didn't spam, they are keywords related to the images, but some a bit generic like picturesque, horizontal, traditional, etc.

And the sales came, is not crazy number, but one or two per month.

Now the crazy part, so far none of the sales are of the images with "enhanced" keywords...

Dont know what to say, but I am seriously thinking about "enhancing" all my images keywords

Have you guys had similar experiences?

Thank you

Alex

 

Don't I know you? Your face looks very familiar. Perhaps from Darrel Young's defunct agency?

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don't I know you? Your face looks very familiar. Perhaps from Darrel Young's defunct agency?

Betty

Hi Betty

I dont know, I used to be extremely active in the forums here a while ago, than I got bored...

I used to be very active in social media, google+ and later on Facebook 

Lately I am just worried about taking pictures and uploading 

After reaching 6000 images here I started uploading in another agency, no, not Darrel's.

And my firstan RF  agency where I have 12000 images, constantly selling, but much lower prices of course,

Thanks for being so kind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alexandre Fagundes said:

Hi Betty

I dont know, I used to be extremely active in the forums here a while ago, than I got bored...

I used to be very active in social media, google+ and later on Facebook 

Lately I am just worried about taking pictures and uploading 

After reaching 6000 images here I started uploading in another agency, no, not Darrel's.

And my firstan RF  agency where I have 12000 images, constantly selling, but much lower prices of course,

Thanks for being so kind

I guess the recognition was from here, before, then. I never saw you at the other named places. I remember faces better than names. Although your name rang a bell, too. :P  That said, if you'd changed your picture, I wouldn't have recognized you!

nevermind,nevermind......I'm rambling....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this