3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Or get the D500. It is wonderful. A huge buffer.

Paulette

Funnily enough I was looking at the options again after posting, and I was leaning towards the D500 - at least I can use the lenses I have for the time being.

It's pretty amazing. I haven't used all the features but I'm going to be taking a trip next year to see penguins and I think the tilting screen will let me shoot from the ground without lying down. Hope so. The lying down isn't so hard but the getting up would be a project.

Paulette

Just to let you know I got the camera, refurbished, and I am very satisfied with it. It will work for stock just fine and represents a great improvement over my D3100! I solved a bit of the problem with the buffer by disabling a number of jpeg automatic editing like noise reduction and sharpening, and by saving in raw + small jpg. Obviously I would love to get a full frame but its not going to be this year.

16 hours ago, AlessandraRC said:

Just to let you know I got the camera, refurbished, and I am very satisfied with it. It will work for stock just fine and represents a great improvement over my D3100! I solved a bit of the problem with the buffer by disabling a number of jpeg automatic editing like noise reduction and sharpening, and by saving in raw + small jpg. Obviously I would love to get a full frame but its not going to be this year.

Technique, good glass and a fast memory card. Learn the limitations of the camera and you'll preempt issues. Turning off "Image Review" I find helps clear the buffer faster, or just half press the shutter to stop the review. Helps on my D800.

A few years ago on a Masai Mara trip I had been shooting all day and my fast CF card had filled and it switched over to a slower SD card, I could really tell the difference when taking numerous photos, since then I've bought fast reliable cards to mitigate buffer issues.

Last year my D800 curtain developed a split which meant I had to send it off to be repaired, that left me with my D3300 for 5 days in the Masai Mara. I thought I wouldn't get much usable but it was pleasantly surprising, apart from being smaller and lack of buttons it did well. ISO noise above 400 was a slight problem and the D800 files are just much "cleaner" but I have several shots I'm happy with. This was mainly as I used my FX glass on the camera.

On 6/2/2017 at 17:14, NYCat said:

I have the D7100 and wish I had held off until the D7200 came along. The D7100 has a tiny buffer and can be frustrating for wildlife action. Had an opportunity with a jaguar in the Pantanal (I'm sure you know where that is) and lost some shots when my buffer kept filling up. The only other problem I've had with it is the buttons on the back that give quick access to change settings but I wound up with an accidental change to only shooting jpeg at one point. Took me a while to notice the change so I don't have RAW of some shots. I have the D500 now and adore it. It is much better for wildlife in my opinion. I still use the D7100 and get good results.

Paulette

Have been using budget nikon cameras like the d3200 and now the d5200 which have shallow buffer as well but fast cards that are above 90MBPS write speed and shooting in small bursts should help a lot, although shooting jaguars in the Pantanal is a completely different story :)

Archived