Sign in to follow this  
jupiter6791

Trouble getting my first images accepted

jupiter6791    0

I've been trying to get my first images accepted, but they always come back to me with saying they aren't sharp enough.  I really feel like they are very sharp.  I'm not a professional, but I am an amateur and feel I understand when something is sharp or not.  Many of the first images I upload are animals that I have zoomed in on, and the backgrounds are blurry.  Do they want the whole image to be sharp for the first submissions?  Is there an area I can post some of my pictures and get input from others on here? 

GS-Images    1,468

There is no problem with background blur, and in fact you'll struggle to find any photos anywhere with the whole lot in focus. Alamy just need the subject to be sharp.

The best thing is to post some 100% crops that we can look at and give our opinion on. You can post them here, but you'll need to host them on another website (I'm not sure which ones are best as I use my own web space for hosting photos). Maybe Flickr? You just need to make sure you don't use a service that sharpens your images, as we won't then see what Alamy see. That's often a problem when people post photos to these sites, that the photos they post are compressed and sharpened (Facebook always over-sharpens images).

Maybe someone else could suggest the best website to put a 100% crop on that won't actually change the image?

Geoff.

DJ Myford    54
Posted (edited)

Many new contributors misunderstand Alamy's file size requirements, and as a result enlarge their files to an excessive size, making the image soft. This may not apply in your case, but just be aware that if you are using a 6MP sensor or greater, there should be no need to enlarge your output.

Edited by DJ Myford

M.Chapman    566

You could try uploading one of your failed images here, and then put a link here on the forum to it. You'll then get a diagnosis from forum members as to what's wrong.

mickfly    286

Do you understand what 'depth of field' is?
Do you use manual focus?

The OP seems to have been successful & now has 3 images uploaded.

Nice pics Jupiter! :)

GS-Images    1,468

The OP seems to have been successful & now has 3 images uploaded.

Nice pics Jupiter! :)

Very nice images they have too......although I'm sure that's a Greylag goose, not a Chinese goose. I won't help them too much though as I have my own Greylag geese images and already have lots of competition.  :)

Geoff.

Betty LaRue    1,113

Just a wee tip. You need to give the scientific name of all animals and plants. Location can be important, if a buyer wants to illustrate a particular plant or animal found in a certain place.

Nice images!

Betty