UK location guides

Steve UK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brian makes a good point.

Do some cross selling by publishing the book, leading photo tours, week long photo seminars at a local hotel. Then you can sell not only the book, but the seminar, tour, travel, accommodation, to the same person.

Cover the entire UK one region at a time. You will get collectors for the entire set

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The church is still several hundred metres or so from the cliffs - not exactly overlooking them.

150 meters on the fastest eroding bit of the East Coast, overlooking I would call it.

1 hour ago, Bill Brooks said:

Do some cross selling by publishing the book, leading photo tours, week long photo seminars at a local hotel. Then you can sell not only the book, but the seminar, tour, travel, accommodation, to the same person.

Cover the entire UK one region at a time. You will get collectors for the entire set

Thank you Bill for the great ideas 

14 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Thank you Bill. I've been thinking of doing something roughly similar here in Pennsylvania Amish Country and I've been mulling it over for a long time.

Brian it is important that your first book is well designed, so that you can continue the format throughout a series. If the books in the series are different sizes/ colors etc and have a different approach for each book, then you start to loose the series collectors.

Think of the green Michelin guides. Same design, only the cover image and title changes on the cover. Easy to spot in the bookstore. Collection looks uniform on your bookshelf. Easy to use as the different information is presented in the same format in each book.

http://travel.michelin.co.uk/green-guides-92-c.asp

Publishers love an author that will produce a series over the years.

Another idea would be to produce the original guides initially, and then spin off the same content, in a large size arty coffee table book. A book so big that it would come with retractable legs so you could actually use it as a coffee table.

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe in 50 years the church will be gone. I'm not trying to quibble just pointing out that, as opposed to what the photo guide says, you can't take a pic of the cliffs from the church. Actually, it is not all that easy to get down to the base of the cliffs. See those trees in the background - that's where the access was a few years back. The only way to overlook the cliffs is to stand right on top of them and risk life and limb.

I0000LRxgwrum41o.jpg

I0000eIhyAfjx73k.jpg

I0000Awtf8HEMjQU.jpg

fare point well made

7 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Brian it is important that your first book is well designed, so that you can continue the format throughout a series. If the books in the series are different sizes/ colors etc and have a different approach for each book, then you start to loose the series collectors.

Think of the green Michelin guides.

Bill, thank you for the tip. I have at least a tiny bit of experience in this area with three books in identical format from Countryman Press (in the USA) and a volume in the big "Food, A Global History" series from Reaktion Books in the UK. (Mine is Lamb, A Global History  BTW).

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Brian, I'd love to come on an Amish photography trip and be inspired by your enthusiasm for travel photography.

Ian, I'd take you on an Amish Country tour even if I wound up giving them to nobody else.

59 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Nothing in Suffolk, best to try Norfolk ;)

Sorry you can't keep Suffolk to yourself.:)

Allan

8 hours ago, Steve UK said:

Alamy on tour

Brian does Pennsylvania 

Bill Toronto 

Ian suffolk

me Norfolk and the driving 

Already did it, illustrating a poetry book, not a guide, in 1984.

https://www.amazon.ca/Queen-City-Raymond-Souster/dp/0887505074

Not a bad suggestion, collectively we could do the entire world.

Bill

Archived