Steve UK

UK location guides

Recommended Posts

Steve UK    19

Hi Brian,

I don't give tours at present, but happy to give advice to visitors about locations and itineraries. Working on editions covering Essex, Shropshire, and West Penwith.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geogphotos    194

The church is still several hundred metres or so from the cliffs - not exactly overlooking them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill Brooks    676

Brian makes a good point.

Do some cross selling by publishing the book, leading photo tours, week long photo seminars at a local hotel. Then you can sell not only the book, but the seminar, tour, travel, accommodation, to the same person.

Cover the entire UK one region at a time. You will get collectors for the entire set

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve UK    19
2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The church is still several hundred metres or so from the cliffs - not exactly overlooking them.

150 meters on the fastest eroding bit of the East Coast, overlooking I would call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve UK    19
1 hour ago, Bill Brooks said:

Brian makes a good point.

Do some cross selling by publishing the book, leading photo tours, week long photo seminars at a local hotel. Then you can sell not only the book, but the seminar, tour, travel, accommodation, to the same person.

Cover the entire UK one region at a time. You will get collectors for the entire set

Thank you Bill for the great ideas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geogphotos    194
9 hours ago, Steve UK said:

150 meters on the fastest eroding bit of the East Coast, overlooking I would call it.

 

Scale is bottom right. The cliffs are not visible from the church so it doesn't overlook them.

 

I0000lWR3ngDcSGE.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geogphotos    194
36 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

From the top of the tower?

It soon will do anyway.

 

Maybe in 50 years the church will be gone. I'm not trying to quibble just pointing out that, as opposed to what the photo guide says, you can't take a pic of the cliffs from the church. Actually, it is not all that easy to get down to the base of the cliffs. See those trees in the background - that's where the access was a few years back. The only way to overlook the cliffs is to stand right on top of them and risk life and limb.

 

I0000LRxgwrum41o.jpg

 

I0000eIhyAfjx73k.jpg

 

 

I0000Awtf8HEMjQU.jpg

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian Yarvin    245
14 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Brian makes a good point.

Do some cross selling by publishing the book, leading photo tours, week long photo seminars at a local hotel. Then you can sell not only the book, but the seminar, tour, travel, accommodation, to the same person.

Cover the entire UK one region at a time. You will get collectors for the entire set

 

Thank you Bill. I've been thinking of doing something roughly similar here in Pennsylvania Amish Country and I've been mulling it over for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geogphotos    194
7 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

 

Thank you Bill. I've been thinking of doing something roughly similar here in Pennsylvania Amish Country and I've been mulling it over for a long time.

 

Brian, I'd love to come on an Amish photography trip and be inspired by your enthusiasm for travel photography.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill Brooks    676

Brian it is important that your first book is well designed, so that you can continue the format throughout a series. If the books in the series are different sizes/ colors etc and have a different approach for each book, then you start to loose the series collectors.

 

Think of the green Michelin guides. Same design, only the cover image and title changes on the cover. Easy to spot in the bookstore. Collection looks uniform on your bookshelf. Easy to use as the different information is presented in the same format in each book.

 

http://travel.michelin.co.uk/green-guides-92-c.asp

 

Publishers love an author that will produce a series over the years.

 

Another idea would be to produce the original guides initially, and then spin off the same content, in a large size arty coffee table book. A book so big that it would come with retractable legs so you could actually use it as a coffee table.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve UK    19
7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe in 50 years the church will be gone. I'm not trying to quibble just pointing out that, as opposed to what the photo guide says, you can't take a pic of the cliffs from the church. Actually, it is not all that easy to get down to the base of the cliffs. See those trees in the background - that's where the access was a few years back. The only way to overlook the cliffs is to stand right on top of them and risk life and limb.

 

I0000LRxgwrum41o.jpg

 

I0000eIhyAfjx73k.jpg

 

 

I0000Awtf8HEMjQU.jpg

fare point well made

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geogphotos    194
4 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

 

 

Think of the green Michelin guides. Same design, only the cover image and title changes on the cover. Easy to spot in the bookstore. Collection looks uniform on your bookshelf. Easy to use as the different information is presented in the same format in each book.

 

 

 

Just pulling your leg a bit but this does sound like it is getting towards the photography version of collecting bubblegum cards and sticking them down in the right place from your 10 day photo trip around ALL of the main sights of Europe. Maybe have a  glossy album with rectangular spaces and feint pencil sketches for the Tower of London, Eiffel Tower, etc so you come home and stick down your very own version ( exactly as directed by the guide book) on top to make a truly unique creative heirloom for the family.

 

By the way if this works I want a cut! :)

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill Brooks    676

Not a bad idea, but no cut for you.

 

Similar to those detailed adult colouring books that are so popular at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian Yarvin    245
7 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Brian it is important that your first book is well designed, so that you can continue the format throughout a series. If the books in the series are different sizes/ colors etc and have a different approach for each book, then you start to loose the series collectors.

 

Think of the green Michelin guides.

 

Bill, thank you for the tip. I have at least a tiny bit of experience in this area with three books in identical format from Countryman Press (in the USA) and a volume in the big "Food, A Global History" series from Reaktion Books in the UK. (Mine is Lamb, A Global History  BTW).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian Yarvin    245
8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

Brian, I'd love to come on an Amish photography trip and be inspired by your enthusiasm for travel photography.

 

Ian, I'd take you on an Amish Country tour even if I wound up giving them to nobody else.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geogphotos    194
4 minutes ago, Steve UK said:

Alamy on tour

Brian does Pennsylvania 

Bill Toronto 

Ian suffolk

me Norfolk and the driving 

 

Nothing in Suffolk, best to try Norfolk ;)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now