Is there a way to search for best selling or what's hot?

Is there a way to use the Alamy image search to identify what (type of) images are selling best - either overall or for a particular topic / keyword?

I guess what I'm after is an 'order by' in the search results, but I don't see that.

is it possible to do this? If not - wouldn't it make sense to provide?

Apologies if I'm asking a dumb question that I should know the answer to.

Try All of Alamy and input a search term and "Have you seen any Alamy images" for the current month.

In All of Alamy  you can see what clients are searching for. Which is better than what sells: It also reveals the gaps in the collection, which you can fill.

You have to be logged in to see it. The default is the running month, but it can be set for the rolling year or just yesterday. Not today, because it's not real time.

For what has sold, do a Google Image search like this. (Excluding the Alamy.com site itself.)

In this forum, have a look at the monthly thread Have you found Alamy Photos.

wim

Try All of Alamy and input a search term and "Have you seen any Alamy images" for the current month.

Not today, because it's not real time.

wim

No wonder I'm felling a bit funny.  :blink:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :rolleyes:  :o  :huh:  :(  :D  ;)  :P  

Allan

In case Wim doesn't get it: we say "it's not in real time".

He probably does, though.

Yes I get that it's not in real time. But of a display of data, one usually wants to know if it's real time. As in RT, Real Time - happening now. Answer: no it isn't, it has to wait for a refresh which is 24 hours. Not sure it even refreshes over the weekend.

Anyone remembers the RTS?

rtsfrontmdm.jpg

That's when photographers heard it for the first time. It was ad speak of course.

But what a beautiful camera!

wim

Not today, because it's not real time.

wim

No wonder I'm felling a bit funny.  :blink:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :rolleyes:  :o  :huh:  :(  :D  ;)  :P  

Allan

LOL!

That famous group of philosophers once said:

You are all left out

Out of there without a doubt

wim

For what has sold, do a Google Image search like this. (Excluding the Alamy.com site itself.)

Wim & all,

How to explain Alamy watermark on many despite excluding Alamy.com?

FYI, Tools>Time>PastWeek makes it very current, but produces mostly watermarked images...

Well there's this thing on Reddit, where people put funny text on Alamy pix. Probably on all pix from all agencies. There's Pinterest of course.

For the rest, I would say, why not click on it and find out? I wouldn't know either. A couple of mine appear like that when I search for zoomed images. Most if not all in pretty harmless tiny blogs or legit discussions.

And in some fake news/Russian or Ukranian ladies want to marry you/f* you/Russian image library - leave your credit card number here please - sites. Some of which my virus checker won't even let me visit.

Some of those with pretty high seo scores even. If I have time I file a Google complaint.

Let's hope Alamy can spare an intern once in a while to do a sweep. However I think only the original copyright owner can request removal of the link. Or it's at least much less work.

wim

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all, but especially Wim, for taking the trouble to post the actual links, which I would not have found otherwise.

I note that, on the customer search history page you refer me to, I can click on the column headings (e.g. for UCO or sales) to sort by those terms, giving me just what I was after.

The tip on the Google search is very useful too - Thanks! 

Building on that, a Google image search for 'alamy and dog -site:alamy.com' (for example) will show what images of dogs have sold.

Thanks again

Steve

Thank you all, but especially Wim, for taking the trouble to post the actual links, which I would not have found otherwise.

I note that, on the customer search history page you refer me to, I can click on the column headings (e.g. for UCO or sales) to sort by those terms, giving me just what I was after.

The tip on the Google search is very useful too - Thanks! 

Building on that, a Google image search for 'alamy and dog -site:alamy.com' (for example) will show what images of dogs have sold.

Thanks again

Steve

You're welcome.

Yes it will show the dogs, but as Jeff remarked, there are quite a few still with their watermarks on. They're not on Alamy's own site because the way the search has been formulated, so they are nicked or quoted or referred to. So not been paid for.

wim

Thanks again Wim, and yes, you're right; that search will also pick up images that have been nicked or hot-linked, but I'm not using to track down purchases, but rather to answer the question "for images of dogs (for example) what do the pics look like that have sold" - as an indicator of what is worthwhile to create.

Best wishes

Steve 

Looking at the All of Alamy, I'm seeing sales of 50-300 per day.  Those numbers seem really low for a stock agency with over 100,000,000 photos.  What's going on?

It is good of Alamy, of course, to provide these figures (I wish other sites would do the same), but I can't get over how low that figure is in a global market.  Also, personal use makes those numbers seem even less appealing.  I must say, I am very surprised.  I also wonder whether member searched are excluded from the results.

Am I doing something wrong?

If you go back to the same day or week, three months later, the database has picked up far more sales for some reason.  Even six months later sales sometimes trickle in.

wim

edit: typo - typing in the dark.

Archived