GS-Images

Favourite images you have uploaded in May 2017

And the damselfly actually smiled for the camera. You are a gifted photographer.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette.  I must admit I have been described as a star.  As you can tell from my avatar, the star is a white dwarf.   :)

Superbly camouflaged - This Orange Tip Butterfly was quietly sitting there, most likely hoping I might wonder by without seeing it. However, I was surprised when it was quite content to pose while I was veeeeeerly slowly closing in. It waited just long enough for me to get a couple of captures. And I said 'thank you' as it flew away to find another flower. :)

perfect-camouflage-i-very-nearly-didnt-n

• Upvote 1

Good morning fellow photographers. Up at 5am today taking photos. :)

Some White Mute Swan cygnets at Arundel looking as cute and cuddly as ever.
cygnets-white-mute-swan-cygnus-olorfamil

cygnets-white-mute-swan-cygnus-olorcygne

A Song Thrush having his breakfast (sorry if anyone is eating.....apart from Philippe, as I know he loves eating while looking at my photos).  :D:lol:
song-thrush-turdus-philomelos-standing-o

A White Mute Swan having a stretch (how did I do any photography before getting my last 2 lenses?!).

swan-white-mute-swan-adult-cygnus-olorst

She was taking photos of the cygnets too. We had a chat and she seemed very nice. We had the usual discussion about what lenses we were using, etc. I was jealous of her Nikkor 70-200mm, and she was jealous of my Sigma 150-600mm. :)
female-photographer-using-a-long-lens-an

• Upvote 2

cygnets-white-mute-swan-cygnus-olorfamil

cygnets-white-mute-swan-cygnus-olorcygne

A Song Thrush having his breakfast (sorry if anyone is eating.....apart from Philippe, as I know he loves eating while looking at my photos).  :D:lol:
song-thrush-turdus-philomelos-standing-o

A White Mute Swan having a stretch (how did I do any photography before getting my last 2 lenses?!).

swan-white-mute-swan-adult-cygnus-olorst

She was taking photos of the cygnets too. We had a chat and she seemed very nice. We had the usual discussion about what lenses we were using, etc. I was jealous of her Nikkor 70-200mm, and she was jealous of my Sigma 150-600mm. :)
female-photographer-using-a-long-lens-an

Geoff,

You have obviously heard of the eye level rule for wildlife. You put it to very good effect. Excellent results!

As to the nice woman... Well my son took a picture of my bum up in the air while taking macro shots of a carnivorous plant. I never forgave him...

Gen

• Upvote 1

a-section-of-the-tudor-warship-the-mary-

A Section of the Mary Rose, taken from the new, unrestricted, viewing gallery at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

cakes-and-pastries-on-sale-on-a-market-s

You can not imagine how hard it was to walk away from these giant cakes with only a photograph.

Edited by Simon Evans

Geoff,

You have obviously heard of the eye level rule for wildlife. You put it to very good effect. Excellent results!

As to the nice woman... Well my son took a picture of my bum up in the air while taking macro shots of a carnivorous plant. I never forgave him...

Gen

Thanks for the compliment Gen. Yes you're right, the huge majority of photos look so much better when you're at their level. So often I see people with their expensive camera and lenses standing upright looking down on birds and ducks, and I feel like their expensive equipment is going to waste as their shots won't be particularly good. Lately I've spent more time on my knees at embarrassing angles to get the shots I want. It's great fun, until you can't move later that day from all the bending and twisting!

Oh I did feel guilty taking the lady, but it was too tempting. I wouldn't be happy if someone did the same to me though if I'm honest.

Geoff.

Jet2 flight, new plane, nice lighting!

aircraft-passengers-in-the-plane-cabin-o

aircraft-passengers-in-the-plane-cabin-o

Kumar

• Upvote 2

I feel like I'm hogging this thread lately. If other's don't want to share their images though, I guess nobody minds? I'm taking photos and keywording like the clappers lately, but I'm loving it.   :)

I've been trying to get a decent one of a Robin for ages, and finally managed a couple.

robin-redbreast-adult-european-robin-eri

erithacus-rubecula-adult-european-robin-

Adult female House Sparrow munching on an insect.
adult-female-house-sparrow-passer-domest

Arundel Cathedral in West Sussex, UK.
arundel-cathedral-a-roman-catholic-cathe

• Upvote 1

arundel-cathedral-a-roman-catholic-cathe

Nice one Geoff. :)

Allan

Nice one Geoff. :)

Allan

Thanks Allan. I've been going to Arundel every day lately! There is such an incredible amount of photo opportunities there......but don't tell anyone else.  :D

Geoff.

Wild Geranium   ( in this particular mountain range they are mostly white rather than purple )

purple-wild-geranium-geranium-caespitosu

Yarrow's Spiny Lizard   ( Mountain Spiny Lizard )

yarrows-spiny-lizard-sceloporus-jarrovii

American Avocet

american-avocet-recurvirostra-americana-

Fantastic shots Olivier. My favourite is the first one. If only I was able to get to such amazing locations!  :)

Geoff.

Thank you very much Geoff !!

You may notice the Mont-Blanc, the highest mountain in the Alps, in the far background (top right) of the first two pictures. The last picture shows the Col de Bellefont (pass) in the Réserve naturelle des Hauts de Chartreuse (natural park).

Some more.

a-walk-in-the-park-J47BRE.jpg

A walk in the park.

zantedeschia-aethiopica-hardy-white-arum

Arum lily.

campanula-plant-in-small-bucket-hanging-

Campanula growing in small bucket on outside water tap.

Allan

• Upvote 1

Fantastic shots Olivier. My favourite is the first one. If only I was able to get to such amazing locations!  :)

Geoff.

And mine the third :)

All 3 are fantastic though;   I am so used to Canadian mountain landscapes it is so nice to see something from the Alps

To keep on topic, here's pano I took just few days ago;  it's a stitch of 4 frames.  Note clouds on the right;  next day we had 10 cm of snow, never mind late May

panoramic-view-of-lake-minnewanka-in-ban

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Upvote 3

That's fantastic Autumn Sky, lovely pano! I like your images too Allan, particularly the one of the outside tap. I've often found that the simplest most everyday subjects can look the best! Strange but true.

I guess it's ok to put some Alamy News images here? These are some of the sunset I took tonight, here in Littlehampton, West Sussex. Have a nice night everyone.

j86g9t.jpg

j86h5m.jpg

j86h0b.jpg

j86gkb.jpg

J5CPPX.jpg

Taken several years ago, couldn't find the RAW file - tracked it down last week.

This fascinating spider, a net-casting spider (Deinopis sp.) was found in my garden.

It places a piece of its own droppings under the net as a target to attract prey.

It has huge eyes with eyesight better than an owl and regrows a retina every night.

If it hasn't used the net by morning, it eats it and builds a new one in the evening.

net-casting-spider-deinopis-sp-holding-i