Jim Keir's Lightroom Alamy Bridge (LRAlamy) Plug-in

25 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

It all became "very clear" to me after having read the manual properly one time + a few times having to go back to it, but reading it properly did the trick.

I didn't find the manual... though, I just now realised I didn't look in the plugin folder. I did have a quick browse of the site though.

For future reference - where is the manual? :D

Just now, Russell said:

Do you mean "folders" Chris, or are you referring to the "collections" such as "all uploaded", "category missing", etc.

These are incredibly useful, in fact I didn't realise waht a powerful too "Collections" were in LR until I started using the bridge. They are (mostly) populated when you "fetch" your data from Alamy.

Yes, sorry, collections. And yes, I use them extensively (just not the Alamy ones). They save me a bunch of time in keywording.

I remember trying to run the "fetch" once before, and it made a mess of something, but that a little while back now, and can't remember specifics.

I'll try to make some time this weekend to have a look again

24 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

I didn't find the manual... though, I just now realised I didn't look in the plugin folder. I did have a quick browse of the site though.

For future reference - where is the manual? :D

Yes, sorry, collections. And yes, I use them extensively (just not the Alamy ones). They save me a bunch of time in keywording.

I remember trying to run the "fetch" once before, and it made a mess of something, but that a little while back now, and can't remember specifics.

I'll try to make some time this weekend to have a look again

It took me a while to get the workflow order right and understand how fetching and setting worked. It depends if you keyword in Lightroom before you upload or after, or keyword in AIM.

The steps I generally use are: (all using the Export menu):

1. Upload to Alamy

2. Export: Fetch data to get the Alamy reference (as soon as images show in AIM even if still in QC)

3. Add caption and keywords in LR and optional information under Alamy Plus

4. Export: Set data to send all of this to Alamy

5. Check which tags are supertags and change if necessary though the plugin does a pretty good job of this

6. Export: Fetch data to get any changes made on AIM into LR

i made up a workflow sheet to keep track of which steps I have done with each submission batch. As this is usually for new images, I keep the images in folders under a general folder called “work in progress” then once all the above steps are complete, I move them into my main image folders. The plugin Alamy collections are very useful for doing various checks, You can also change data for deleted images, which you can’t do in AIM.

A video showing what happens depending on which of the various boxes are ticked during Fetch and Set Data would probably be helpful, particularly the difference between merging and replacing keywords during Fetch. Also, I don’t seem to have found a way to set (add) tags without disrupting the supertags I have chosen and want to keep in AIM.

manual is here

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/downloads/Alamy Uploader Manual.pdf

Like Martin, I would find it very hard to work with Alamy without the plugin.

40 minutes ago, Jim Keir said:

Videos for the basic functions B)

Alamy Lightroom Bridge videos

Also, the manual is installed alongside the plugin. I thought there was a link on the Help->About page but it seems not - I'll add that for the next release.

Thank jim

And thanks for taking the time with the plugin. 

I'm struggling timewise to fetch my 6,000 images.
It's taking ages.

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

My passed Alamy images (jpegs) are in a separate folder and have been imported into LR5.6, from there I use the fetch settings which goes fast to begin with, then slows to a crawl.
I've aborted a couple of times at about 1,500 images.
Now it's at 2,398 taking 18hrs so far and seems to have almost stalled.

14 minutes ago, mickfly said:

I'm struggling timewise to fetch my 6,000 images.
It's taking ages.

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

My passed Alamy images (jpegs) are in a separate folder and have been imported into LR5.6, from there I use the fetch settings which goes fast to begin with, then slows to a crawl.
I've aborted a couple of times at about 1,500 images.
Now it's at 2,398 taking 18hrs so far and seems to have almost stalled.

Pretty sure the manual says that if you do them all at once, it will take a long time. I haven’t ever done that. Think it’s better to do in batches.

29 minutes ago, Sally said:

Pretty sure the manual says that if you do them all at once, it will take a long time. I haven’t ever done that. Think it’s better to do in batches.

It does say a long time, but ...days?
My current internet connection is not the best, which may be making a difference, but I couldn't work out how to do the 'next' 1000 after fetching the first 1000.
Maybe I just need patience?

Why not try selecting by date, say Jan 18, and fetching them (provided its a reasonable number <1,000 say). Then Feb 18 and so on.

It doesn't matter if you fetch twice so if the selection includes some that youve already downloaded, they'll just be fetched again no problem.

2 hours ago, Russell said:

Why not try selecting by date, say Jan 18, and fetching them (provided its a reasonable number <1,000 say). Then Feb 18 and so on.

It doesn't matter if you fetch twice so if the selection includes some that youve already downloaded, they'll just be fetched again no problem.

I'm going to cancel it now (it's taken 10hrs to do 400) and may try your date batch method, thanks.

1 hour ago, mickfly said:

I'm going to cancel it now (it's taken 10hrs to do 400) and may try your date batch method, thanks.

It shouldn’t take that long to do 400. Is this the first time you’ve matched your images to those on Alamy? You could try just downloading some of the data eg Alamy without IPTC first.

You can also try shutting LR down and starting up again.  This sometimes clears out the bugs.

Archived