JeffGreenberg

controlling overhead: free Excel online via Google???!!

populating new laptop with programs; googled "free Excel" with lots of hits, but...

are they all only for viewing-printing already existing Excel docs?

has anyone who uses Excel merging offered by Alamy found, say,

older versions of Excel that are now free...?

or newer version that are limited in functions without upgrade...?

Thanks for any tips-leads...

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Try Open Office. The spreadsheet part looks and feels enough like Excel to be easy to use. It's free and should do everything you need.  Files can be saved as Excel format if needed.

• Upvote 2

Thanks.

Do you know if OpenOffice spreadsheets can be

merged with Excel spreadsheets? and vice versa?

(still have Excel 2013, just not on new laptop)

Does Alamy accept OpenOffice docs?

Edited by JeffGreenberg

LibreOffice is an improved version of OpenOffice - imports Excel and allows the user to save as .xlsx and xlsm (ie with macros) as well as earlier Microsoft formats. Get it from here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

Any idea if Alamy can merge LibreOffice?

Guess if its .xlsx it can...?

What is one subjected to, if anything, by

using free Excel or pseudo-Excel...?

LibreOffice is an improved version of OpenOffice - imports Excel and allows the user to save as .xlsx and xlsm (ie with macros) as well as earlier Microsoft formats. Get it from here.

I use LibreOffice as well. Terrific program. Give it a go, Jeff.

Anyone tried the Google version of Excel?    

I have to confess I have not but a colleague who works in IT now runs his business with the 'Google Suite' and says it is outstanding

Edited by Matt Limb

Anyone tried the Google version of Excel?    

I have to confess I have not but a colleague who works in IT now runs his business with the 'Google Suite' and says it is outstanding

I worked for a small software company that used Google Docs for its office purposes. Even though I used them seriously for several years I never got comfortable with them. They were not as full featured as even OpenOffice/LibreOffice. The other problem is that Google is run by techies and they decide to change things on a whim. It constantly felt as though you were in an early stage beta test.

If you don't need to do much formatting of reports or the like you might get by.

Edited by Martin P Wilson

I looked at offering the Google suite as part of my IT training portfolio a little while back.  Not worth while. 

Your Alamy sales report is downloaded as a .csv file which both Excel and LibreOffice can open. If you don't want to edit it, then you could try sending it to DACs as it is.

If you want to edit it (for example to remove non-UK publications and anything that's not a book or magazine or TV useage) you can open the downloaded sales report .csv using libreoffice spreadsheet app or Excel for Mac. You can then edit it like a normal spreadsheet and save in Excel .xls or .xlsx format (or .csv format if you haven't done any cell formatting) and send to DACs.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Your Alamy sales report is downloaded as a .csv file which both Excel and LibreOffice can open. If you don't want to edit it, then you could try sending it to DACs as it is.

If you want to edit it (for example to remove non-UK publications and anything that's not a book or magazine or TV useage) you can open the downloaded sales report .csv using libreoffice spreadsheet app or Excel for Mac. You can then edit it like a normal spreadsheet and save in Excel .xls or .xlsx format (or .csv format if you haven't done any cell formatting) and send to DACs.

Mark

Thank you Mark, 

very helpful, I will definitely try this if my first attempt fails to be read.

Kathy

You know if you have bought a Mac in the last 4 years or so, you will have Numbers (Apple's own spreadsheet program) installed free with MacOS. It is actually a very good spreadsheet program and you should have no need for any freeware programs mentoned if you already have it on your Mac. I rarely bother with Excel now although I have a 2008 version. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, MDM said:

You know if you have bought a Mac in the last 4 years or so, you will have Numbers (Apple's own spreadsheet program) installed free with MacOS. It is actually a very good spreadsheet program and you should have no need for any freeware programs mentoned if you already have it on your Mac. I rarely bother with Excel now although I have a 2008 version. 

Interesting, I will check this out.  Thank you!

32 minutes ago, MDM said:

Good point.. and Numbers can save in Excel format (you can choose .xls or .xlsx format). Select the File>Export to... option.

Owners of older Macs may still be able to get Numbers (and the other iWorks apps) for free using the free trial and then free upgrade route. See article here. Not sure if this still works, but it did for me a couple of years ago. :)

Mark

Or you can install NeoOffice, which gives you all the MSOffice functionality at a fraction of the price

km