John Mitchell

Slow month?

Recommended Posts

I feel I am being baited a little here and unfairly treated (as well as negatives left against my profile and posts) as clearly contributors are using examples of my work to illustrate what apparently isn't editorial,when they are as guilty of the same offence. I have already said that I have taken on board (and very grateful for the advice too) the fact that this site is mainly editorial. 

Edited by Marb
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marb said:

I could say the same for an image as generic as this for instance

 

But have you read the caption? Listen I'm just trying to help you, although my profile says joined Alamy in march 2014, I didn't start to upload until January of this year, I had my first sale 2 months later with less than 400 images I had 4 sales with 850 images, your images are typically microstock they don't sell here.

Btw, the image of the pool licensed to the Sun newspaper last month.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have loads of brick varied background images, some grungy and some painted etc but they are microstock. Any image can be used for any article. It just depends what they want. Someone wants a pic of an, rusty old boiler for instance ?

an-old-brick-cobbled-road-surface-G2AA1T

Edited by Marb
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, maybe if you clearly captioned the image with location details, type of brick, historic significance, etc. but you haven't?

Anyway im off

Edited by LawrensonPhoto
added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Marb said:

I have loads of brick varied background images, some grungy and some painted etc but they are microstock. Any image can be used for any article. It just depends what they want. Someone wants a pic of an, rusty old boiler for instance ?

an-old-brick-cobbled-road-surface-G2AA1T

 

Could illustrate:

plant succession - pioneer species such as mosses - soil formation - biotic weathering

physical/mechanical weathering from the weather - heating, cooling, freeze/thaw

bricklaying techniques

building materials in different localities

percolation of water through joints and bedding planes ( as if this was a sedimentary rock) - identify and explain the main channels of flow and dead-ends ( like a maze)

different colour bricks from different coloured clay

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

Could illustrate:

plant succession - pioneer species such as mosses - soil formation - biotic weathering

physical/mechanical weathering from the weather - heating, cooling, freeze/thaw

bricklaying techniques

building materials in different localities

percolation of water through joints and bedding planes ( as if this was a sedimentary rock) - identify and explain the main channels of flow and dead-ends ( like a maze)

different colour bricks from different coloured clay

Thanks, at last someone who sees it from my perspective. Again, I do know about the concept of editorial. We just didn't have to deal with keywords when I was at college using medium format film cameras.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, arterra said:

 

Marb, we're trying to help you and explaining WHY you don't sell but you're stone-deaf and utterly stubborn. Believe me, you don't have a clue what editorial pictures look like.

For 99% of my pictures I can tell you IMMEDIATELY which customers could buy my pictures and for what purpose (see my post of the mushroom above). And I can do the same for Paul's "damp brick wall" image:

  • DIY brochures
  • DIY magazines 
  • articles about how to control damp walls
  • websites for water damage specialists
  • brochures and websites for manufacturers of mould removing / preventing products
  • need I continue?

Now why don't you try to do the same with the typical microstock examples I showed you? And "vintage", "historical" "industrial" aren't exactly what I would call "clients". You have to come up with better answers than that :mellow:

 

Cheers and good luck,

Philippe

With all respect the reason you sell more images than myself is because you have a LOT more than I do. About 45 x more. Please don't patronise me as if you are the great oracle on Photography.  

 

"Now why don't you try to do the same with the typical microstock examples I showed you? And "vintage", "historical" "industrial" aren't exactly what I would call "clients". You have to come up with better answers than that"

 

Vintage steam engine articles

Articles on restoration

Articles on rust

Articles on abandoned industrial buildings

etc..etc..etc.... 

Edited by Marb
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philippe is talking about RPI, not just volume, as you well know. Maybe not "the great", but certainly "an" oracle. It would help you to appreciate the difference between good advice, with examples, and patronisation.

Advice is given freely here, not least by Philippe. It's up to you if you take it, of course. But to have it apparently ignored is not encouraging to the giver .

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
> certainly "an" oracle.
 
or·a·cle
ˈôrək(ə)l/
noun
2. a response or message given...typically one that is ambiguous or obscure.
Edited by JeffGreenberg
making things tidy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another time when I need the PM facility back.(and it would be a POSITIVE private message, by the way).

 

What I will say to Marb is that I don't agree with everything that's been posted by others. I may have been frustrated that you kept praising Microstock in the past and didn't seem to take much notice of many comments regarding being exclusive with Alamy, but I think you are listening now and are taking advice. What's more, you're polite about your point of view, which not everyone is.

 

As for what sells, what's editorial and what isn't, I'm never honestly sure. Without meaning any disrespect to anyone else, I have been here since 2010 and I do have some idea what I'm doing, yet I have seen so many varied sales. It is more about keywording and captioning than the photo.

 

One point about the number of images - Until the search engine changes, the monthly "how was your month" threads showed that I used to license a higher quantity on images per number of images than all but about one other. That went on for many months. That's without really being sure what type of image is best for editorial. It is with good keywording though and keeping up to date on what's topical.

 

Geoff.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

Yet another time when I need the PM facility back.(and it would be a POSITIVE private message, by the way).

 

What I will say to Marb is that I don't agree with everything that's been posted by others. I may have been frustrated that you kept praising Microstock in the past and didn't seem to take much notice of many comments regarding being exclusive with Alamy, but I think you are listening now and are taking advice. What's more, you're polite about your point of view, which not everyone is.

 

As for what sells, what's editorial and what isn't, I'm never honestly sure. Without meaning any disrespect to anyone else, I have been here since 2010 and I do have some idea what I'm doing, yet I have seen so many varied sales. It is more about keywording and captioning than the photo.

 

One point about the number of images - Until the search engine changes, the monthly "how was your month" threads showed that I used to license a higher quantity on images per number of images than all but about one other. That went on for many months. That's without really being sure what type of image is best for editorial. It is with good keywording though and keeping up to date on what's topical.

 

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, I was starting to doubt myself but sadly all too often  forums or  "communities" tend to have cliques of people who seem to offer "help" or "advice" delivered with a sardonic, facetious and sometimes downright rude tone applauded by each other.

 

Anyway, I now fully understand the way Alamy works so thanks to all for clarifying that. Like you said Geoff, I think captioning and keywording (with good images of course) are the key.

Edited by Marb
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marb said:

 all too often  forums or  "communities" tend to have cliques of people who seem to offer "help" or "advice" delivered with a sardonic, facetious and sometimes downright rude tone applauded by each other.

 

 

This is not one of those, as a more diffident approach would have confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marb,

 

Just my two cents worth....

 

an-old-abandoned-steam-boiler-in-timber-

If someone wanted an image for the following (your suggestions) 

 

Vintage steam engine articles

Articles on restoration

Articles on rust

Articles on abandoned industrial buildings

etc..etc..etc..

 

Why would they want a black and white image "HDR styled" image? Wouldn't they be looking for a more "factual" image that illustrated any of those more effectively? It could however perhaps sell for an article in a photo magazine about black and white or HDR processing? Suggest deleting keywords like rivet, rivets, wheel, dial, dials, brick, pump from this image to reduce false hits which will damage your ranking. I like the image, but it's more "arty" than editorial. That's not to say it won't sell on Alamy, it's just that the chances are much, much lower. I've got quite a few "arty" images on Alamy myself, but in general they are a waste of time (I'm still learning). So I'm now trying to sell those elsewhere.

 

This on the other hand has recently sold on Alamy, to illustrate rust and corrosion in an educational book.

 

large-ruddy-brown-rusty-cast-iron-corrod

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Hi Marb,

 

Just my two cents worth....

 

an-old-abandoned-steam-boiler-in-timber-

If someone wanted an image for the following (your suggestions) 

 

Vintage steam engine articles

Articles on restoration

Articles on rust

Articles on abandoned industrial buildings

etc..etc..etc..

 

Why would they want a black and white image "HDR styled" image? Wouldn't they be looking for a more "factual" image that illustrated any of those more effectively? It could however perhaps sell for an article in a photo magazine about black and white or HDR processing? Suggest deleting keywords like rivet, rivets, wheel, dial, dials, brick, pump from this image to reduce false hits which will damage your ranking. I like the image, but it's more "arty" than editorial. That's not to say it won't sell on Alamy, it's just that the chances are much, much lower. I've got quite a few "arty" images on Alamy myself, but in general they are a waste of time (I'm still learning). So I'm now trying to sell those elsewhere.

 

This on the other hand has recently sold on Alamy, to illustrate rust and corrosion in an educational book.

 

large-ruddy-brown-rusty-cast-iron-corrod

 

Mark

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I can see I accidently copied those inappropriate keywords from another similar image so I will address that now. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly half way through the month and all I have to show for it is a measly $12 sale and 3 zooms. It can be so disheartening here at times. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Nearly half way through the month and all I have to show for it is a measly $12 sale and 3 zooms. It can be so disheartening here at times. :(

 

One sale up on me....:unsure::(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm showing over 20 zooms for the rolling month, but I haven't a single sale.  Lately, its as if Alamy holds my licenses until the last week of the month, then they come rolling in.

While the first couple of weeks of August was horrible, it got better late.

 

Hold that thought....hold that thought....

 

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if it'll make you feel better, but I haven't seen a single sale for 2 (two) months...

Yes, something is definitely going wrong here! :blink: Even zooms and views fallen down to the ground... And no, it's not normal at all :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Lately, its as if Alamy holds my licenses until the last week of the month, then they come rolling in.

While the first couple of weeks of August was horrible, it got better late.

 

Hold that thought....hold that thought....

 

Betty

 

I've also noticed for the past couple months that I seem to have sales during the first week, and then nothing or close to nothing until the last week. Then they come in during the last week two or three at a time.

 

Sales numbers have been about average but many of my sales don't show as zooms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have yet to have a zoom this month, never mind a sale.  The pond seems  a little dry, hope the autumn brings a little more action.

 

Jill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take heart, Jill. We are not yet half way through the month.

 

I have 4 sales and 35 zooms showing at the moment. August was 4 sales in total, but I still have an average of 8 a month in 2017. I feel good about that. If I have something to frown about, it's that I've not had a sale above $100 in a long time. I like seeing zooms, but zooms don't turn into sales that often. 

 

I'm sure that a lot of you will be seeing more sales in the second half of this month. Good luck.

 

Edo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I have 4 sales and 35 zooms showing at the moment. August was 4 sales in total, but I still have an average of 8 a month in 2017. I feel good about that. If I have something to frown about, it's that I've not had a sale above $100 in a long time. I like seeing zooms, but zooms don't turn into sales that often. 

 

Your NY shots look great!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now