I'd like to preface this by saying I like the new Alamy Image Management system. It's taken a little time to get used to, but seems to work well and I particularly like the ability to add phrases to tags.

But I do have one query. Checking through my earlier images, their "Discoverability" levels are mostly indicated as "On Sale" with an orange bar.  I gather that it's preferable for them to be "On Sale" with a green bar. To do this is simple enough, all I need to do is bring the number of tags up to 40 and 'Eureka' it changes to green. If I add 50 tags, then an image's discoverability is fully optimised.

In  AIM Q&As, It's stressed that all images should have at least 5 tags and serious contibutors will add many more, but I've always understood that tags should be pertinent and reflect the nature/location/concept etc of the image. Then question I've always asked myself is "Are my tags relevant to the researcher/buyer?"

The briefing about this aspect is not completely clear, so before I spend hours in front of my monitor - rather than shooting new stock - does the orange/green bar really matter from the viewpoint of selling our images?  Please can someone advise.

Many thanks

George Munday

Some (a lot) of my highest placed legacy images have only two or three supertags from their placement in the essential box on the old MI. Here I'm talking about page 1/2 of 10,000+ images. I haven't attempted to add anymore supertags for fear of relegating them.

As for new images uploaded I agree with GS that only relevant supertags are created irrespective of falling short of the 10 maximum.

Tags should not be added just for the sake of adding tags. High discoverability simply means you have maximized the ways for your image to be seen, but not necessarily seen in the correct places. Using the word 'poor' to describe lower visibility will make some photographers think it means a low ranked image, this will especially affect new contributors. Adding unrelated tags will simply give you more views (or better discoverability) but not more relevant views, which is what counts. A lower rank will be the outcome.

Jill

The problems with the discoverabilty system is a: it's prominence and b: the language used.

I am not against it as an idea, but the way it is presented makes it look like one of the most important parts of annotating an image.

And the terms used - 'poor' 'good' and 'optimised' - clearly give the impression that more is better when we, and Alamy, know that isn't the case.

If the discoverability was more geared towards how many of the tools had been used - including the optional categories, location, extra info and release info - rather than how many tags had been added, it would be much more useful.

If 'optimised' meant all the optional boxes had been dealt with and the image had five supertags and ten tags, it would be of much more use to contributors.

It seems like I'm not the only one who's somewhat confused, +1 to all for your thoughts and opinions.

Meanwhile, it would be great if someone from Alamy could answer the question:  is the orange/green bar critical from the viewpoint of the clients finding our images?

Many thanks

I think this is a great shame and a possible flaw in the system. Essential keywords were no more than 50 characters, far less than 40 words. Why should we need to increase the tags if it's not warranted to get "green" discoverability. This is only likely to reduce the CTR rate and flood the buyers screens with spam images.

Archived