The Image Manager thread

None of my early images submitted as TIFF on CD are showing in the new Manage Images, but they do still appear in searches. Perhaps that part of the database has not updated yet. But if the new tools don't work with TIFFs, I won't be able to make the keyword changes that now seem necessary.

Just working my way round it.  Some nice pop-up help features.

Most of my images have 'discoverability' in orange at about 50% too MariaJ

I think it will be easier to understand once I upload my next lot of images and start from scratch.

John

Thank you for the alert to the change.

My QC rank is two stars out of three. Since I've never failed QC, I wonder what I have  to do to get three stars. :unsure: 

Somewhat alarmed to see nearly all my images have 'poor discoverability' with no indication as to precisely  why. I'm guessing I will need to manually set supertags on all 2800 images to reach Nirvana. :(  

None of my early images submitted as TIFF on CD are showing in the new Manage Images, but they do still appear in searches. Perhaps that part of the database has not updated yet. But if the new tools don't work with TIFFs, I won't be able to make the keyword changes that now seem necessary.

Ah, I wonder if that is my problem.

0.5% with good discoverability!

Boy, have I got some work to do.

Similar for me ((~0.8%) but when I cleaned up one image with good discoverability and refined some phrases it became poor! :(  Even though when I was editing it was improving, I think it may have removed duplicate keywords when I saved so number of tags/supertags may be a key criteria in "discoverability". fnumbers are the key then that is going to be misleading. That said 50 tages and 10 tags did not seem to give 100% discoverability

0.5% with good discoverability!

Boy, have I got some work to do.

Similar for me ((~0.8%) but when I cleaned up one image with good discoverability and refined some phrases it became poor! :(  Even though when I was editing it was improving, I think it may have removed duplicate keywords when I saved.

I can't imagine that the index updates in real time. It would be helpful to know how the manage images system judges discoverability. If Alamy just tell us it will save a lot of trying and testing and frustration - we collectively have a lot of work to do, it seems.

The 'Optional' tab contains some new things which means I'll want to revisit every image.. like assigning images to categories and checking the 'Only Available on Alamy' tick box.

And I really like the location field which links into Google maps.

The maps thing might be a bit of a blunt tool and possibly misleading. The very first picture I looked at placed the location some distance away from the actual spot, purely because the given location was a country lane of some length.

Curiously, the map seems to have disappeared now I go back to look at it. 

has anyone worked out how to increase discoverability yet? I have been playing around with this, increased super tags to 10, added more keywords including phrases, completed categories - discoverability doesn't seem to change. 

edit - just checked some images marked as good discoverability - 50 keywords, only 4 supertags and no categories completed, so I guess it is simply down to number of keywords. Not so sure this is then entirely useful, not all images need 50 keywords and adding spam is pointless.

I can see there is going to be much discussion about the new dashboard and several different topics within that discussion (discoverability, QC rank, categories, supertags etc etc.).  

It would be a kindness if Alamy were to start threads about each of these different aspects, beginning with a post from them on what they were able to tell us about that aspect. It will save a lot of speculation and fruitless discussion.

Any chance, do you think?

Has anyone else found a problem with duplicate keywords when saving? It seems, when I first view an image it shows duplicate keywords - count of keywords 50. When I save the image the duplicates disappear but the count stays at 50, even though I can only see 30. This means I cannot add more and can't now see the duplicates to delete. Am I missing something?

solved this, just had to deselect the image and then reselect

It would be helpful to know how the manage images system judges discoverability. If Alamy just tell us it will save a lot of trying and testing and frustration - we collectively have a lot of work to do, it seems.

There was a note on that in the blog. It's just a matter of quantity.

You don't •need* to optimise all your images......

If you have fewer than 50 tags the images are still perfectly searchable and accesible......

It's a simple matter , though, to work out what you need to get a 100% optimised image

Caption

Pseudo

Licence type

10 supertags

50 tags

People / Property

Primary Category

Yes, it's simply the *quantity* of data...

km

Big plus i see i can now update from my tablet.

Going away on month long holiday soon means i can keyword from my tablet to improve my poor discoverability  ;)

Have not failed QC for years but have 2/3 rate ?

Feeling slightly daunted with regard to keyword but like everything once you have been around it for a while

i am sure it will make sense.

But am excited by the changes.

Onwards .....

Archived