Search engine seems to be working for me.

I received an email this morning from Alamy, which was a link to their blog where they introduce the new Image |Manager.  I do think they posted this on the forum as well.  It does answer a lot of our questions, one being that if you change the keywords in grandfathered in images, then they will be limited to 50.  Here is a link to that posting in the blog:

Posting about image manager

Jill

Thanks for sharing your findings Philippe.  I find it useful.  Particularly since I see Alamy reading this thread but offering no comments, or promise of a future guidebook on keywording with the new search system.

I certainly don't think testing keywording against search results is a waste of time.

@ Philippe

"In both cases, the placement of Betty's image is based on a random ranking where - at least that's my understanding - CTR, sales, zooms and whatever parameters have been thrown out the window."

Or maybe bought into play?

Thanks for the explanation on the Bacon sandwich wording. That makes sense.

.  Particularly since I see Alamy reading this thread but offering no comments, or promise of a future guidebook on keywording with the new search system.

http://www.alamy.com/blog/introducing-the-new-alamy-image-manager?utm_campaign=625892_Blog%20update%20-%20January%202017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alamy%20Contributors%20&dm_i=2SWW,DEXW,4PYZLT,1CHLW,1

Third paragraph

".....there will be a learning curve whilst you get to know the new tools so comprehensive instructions will be provided and our Contributor Relations team will be on hand to answer any questions you have once the new tools are released."

last paragraph

"We hope this overview gives you a good idea of what to expect with the upcoming Alamy Image Manager, further details and instructions will be released in due course"

I received an email this morning from Alamy, which was a link to their blog where they introduce the new Image |Manager.  I do think they posted this on the forum as well.  It does answer a lot of our questions, one being that if you change the keywords in grandfathered in images, then they will be limited to 50.  Here is a link to that posting in the blog:

Posting about image manager

Jill

I found that myself earlier today... but I was browsing the Alamy site just to see if there was anything interesting to read rather than getting an email (which I appear to have subsequently received anyway). The article is dated 23rd November and contains the words, "...and we’re pleased to announce that the roll-out is about to begin."

So fingers crossed it's imminent.. indeed, might some contributors already be using the new tools given as the whole month of December has passed in the meantime?

Using all kinds or keyword orders / phrases like the ones below are important IF the client uses " ". Question is ...... how many do that?

In practice I think an inexperienced searcher would start out not using quotes. However when he gets a ridiculous high number of returns, then he might make a second search using quotes. Alamy should also be doing some client education in this regard.

I think it is important in confusing place names. For instance there is a small city in Ontario Canada called (London).
I would use tags like (London Ontario), (Ontario London), (London Ontario Canada). To avoid false positives in a client search for only (London). I would not use only (London) for any tag. I would probably use a tag for (Ontario) and a tag for (Canada). Then I would go on to tag or supertag the specific content of the image. Things like (Queen Street), (main street), (high street),(bistro),(coffee shop),(Cafe),(people),(man),(woman),(male),(female),(couple),(sidewalk cafe),(restaurant),(holding hands),(love),(couple in love). That is 22 tags and I have a total of 50 so I could use more if the image warrants it.

The idea is to show up in specific searches, but not get shown in high return, largely irrelevant searches for coffee, main, high, Queen, sidewalk, holding

Using all kinds or keyword orders / phrases like the ones below are important IF the client uses " ". Question is ...... how many do that?

In practice I think an inexperienced searcher would start out not using quotes. However when he gets a ridiculous high number of returns, then he might make a second search using quotes. Alamy should also be doing some client education in this regard.

I think it is important in confusing place names. For instance there is a small city in Ontario Canada called (London).
I would use tags like (London Ontario), (Ontario London), (London Ontario Canada). To avoid false positives in a client search for only (London). I would not use only (London) for any tag. I would probably use a tag for (Ontario) and a tag for (Canada). Then I would go on to tag or supertag the specific content of the image. Things like (Queen Street), (main street), (high street),(bistro),(coffee shop),(Cafe),(people),(man),(woman),(male),(female),(couple),(sidewalk cafe),(restaurant),(holding hands),(love),(couple in love). That is 22 tags and I have a total of 50 so I could use more if the image warrants it.

The idea is to show up in specific searches, but not get shown in high return, largely irrelevant searches for coffee, main, high, Queen, sidewalk, holding

I live in Reading in Berkshire, UK.... I suffer from exactly this kind of issue with locally taken picture where adding the tag "Reading" is pertinent. The search engine confuses Reading the place with reading, the act of enjoying/comprehending words and pictures... I add "Reading" on it's own as a keyword as well as "Berkshire".. but people often seem to search for the likes of "Reading town centre" without including "Berkshire" in their search.

.  Particularly since I see Alamy reading this thread but offering no comments, or promise of a future guidebook on keywording with the new search system.

http://www.alamy.com/blog/introducing-the-new-alamy-image-manager?utm_campaign=625892_Blog%20update%20-%20January%202017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alamy%20Contributors%20&dm_i=2SWW,DEXW,4PYZLT,1CHLW,1

Third paragraph

".....there will be a learning curve whilst you get to know the new tools so comprehensive instructions will be provided and our Contributor Relations team will be on hand to answer any questions you have once the new tools are released."

last paragraph

"We hope this overview gives you a good idea of what to expect with the upcoming Alamy Image Manager, further details and instructions will be released in due course"

All very well Mark.  But I was talking about the new search algorithms, not the new manage images feature that may not come for many months.

Pearl is right not very well behaved. Search is in fact a very simple algorithm nothing hokus pokus or supernatural at all about it. The art is HOW they want it and in what direction they want it skewed, tamperd with. Lets say you want fruit to sell and you wish 99% of sales to be apples and no oranges, this is very possible indeed.

Funny but right now there is a thread at a forum going ( mostly amateurs ) complaining about the search etc. They are now ghost hunting, this and that. All of which was said and cried about 5 years back. Engineering, tampering with a search is very old news, nothing new.

Pearl is right not very well behaved. Search is in fact a very simple algorithm nothing hokus pokus or supernatural at all about it. The art is HOW they want it and in what direction they want it skewed, tamperd with. Lets say you want fruit to sell and you wish 99% of sales to be apples and no oranges, this is very possible indeed.

Funny but right now there is a thread at a forum going ( mostly amateurs ) complaining about the search etc. They are now ghost hunting, this and that. All of which was said and cried about 5 years back. Engineering, tampering with a search is very old news, nothing new.

Archived