Stock Photography Workshop in London

Alamy

Wow - my workshop has attracted some strong opinions !

The discussion has diverted away from the original posting and got rather personal so I do not want to continue a debate.  Suffice to say that Alamy works for me and I completely open my account to prove that.

Anyway - I am holding the workshop again on September 7th

www.meetup.com/martin-norris-photography-workshops/events/132195492/

I would welcome anyone who came along to post a report on it - thanks TonyF for your positive review on this thread.

Oh, and I also offer a no questions asked money back guarantee if you are in any way dissatisfied !

"Is stock shooting + an income still attainable? Yes, it is but what folks don't appreciate is that you have to keep going all the time."

Just a small note here... I live in Belgium, just like you Philippe. Do note that (which you without ANY doubt know all too well) we are in one of the most expensive countries in the world, and are amongst the most heavily taxed people in the world (as you are fully independent, just like I am). If you compare what we need to earn from stock to make a living, to what someone in, say, the Philippines needs to earn to make a living, that's quite a difference.

So, do I believe it is still attainable? No... I managed to make a living out of stock around 2006. I managed to make a living out of social photography around 2008-2012. These days, with the increase in tax and cost of living, and the way the crisis keeps taking down more people and companies, photography in general becomes a hard way of earning a living. These days I think of stock as a way to complement our income. Find other cheese, find several sources of cheese....

Martin.

You may have something to contribute to us newer players and I would be tempted to attend a workshop just to add to my thinking and knowledge. But I'm a long way away. Other than catching up on my next trip to Europe, do you plan to go online with your experience and advice? I'd be happy to pay a reasonable amount to view online workshops if it suits.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

£180K in ten years. I think I will hold out for a Yuri Arcurs or perhaps Jeff Greenburg seminar (call me deluded but I do really find these people inspirational). In the meantime I appear to have found a market for lighting, monitor calibration and white balance seminars if you are interested.

Jeff, at least you are honest about the benefits or not. I find you inspirational because you are evidence that putting in the time can produce results. I could never match your workflow but that does not mean that I can not appreciate what you have achieved.

There are very few courses that I would attend, especially as there are so many tutorials from the likes of Arcurs which are freely available to watch on-line at my convenience. 

Just to keep you updated - this thread was started by Alamy to pass on the details about my stock photography workshop. But as they mention on the first post "Please note Alamy don't benefit financially in any way from promoting this"

The next stock workshop is being held this Saturday September 7th in Central London UK. I have given some examples of what i discuss on page 1 of this thread. The rest of the details are on this page.

http://www.meetup.com/martin-norris-photography-workshops/events/132195492/

I have extended the workshop to 5 hours as there are always so many questions and kept the number of attendees to 6 at a cost of £59 including lunch. There are many positive reviews about the workshop there but to counter some of the negative posts on here I now also offer a no questions asked money back guarantee. If you attend and don't think it was worth it, you can have an immediate refund.

Martin Norris

martinnorris@btinternet.com

using the Alamy forum to promote other libraries, agencies or selling services should be avoided in general.

Forgive me, I'm sure that you have a lot of experience, have made a lot of sales and may well be able to pass all this on to others to improve upon their careers/sales etc. I wish you all the best with it.

But doesn't this conflict somewhat with Alamy's own guidelines on the use of this forum?  A rhetorical question and only one which Alamy themselves will be able to answer.

using the Alamy forum to promote other libraries, agencies or selling services should be avoided in general.

Forgive me, I'm sure that you have a lot of experience, have made a lot of sales and may well be able to pass all this on to others to improve upon their careers/sales etc. I wish you all the best with it.

But doesn't this conflict somewhat with Alamy's own guidelines on the use of this forum?  A rhetorical question and only one which Alamy themselves will be able to answer.

It was alamy themselves that started the thread..

It was alamy themselves that started the thread..

Precisely!

Well, for a start, it's a good, simple question, unambiguous, and not rhetorical at all.

Secondly, I think the answer is that the guidelines ban " using the Alamy forum to promote other libraries, agencies or selling services" . . . the thread refered to did just that, whereas, imo, this thread doesn't (as long as my interpretation of "selling services" as services selling stock photos is correct).

dd

• 2 years later...

I am the photographer running this workshop at my studio in London on the 20th and every month - which Alamy have kindly mentioned. I have been with Alamy for 10 years and my 1800 picture sales have made $180,000. While the average price of a photo sale has gone down over the years across the whole industry I am still doing well and making money from stock photography. To prove that, what i do at the workshop is open my Alamy account completely. You can see exactly what i have sold, for how much and to whom in the areas of travel, lifestyle, studio conceptual. If you feel you would like to learn from that then do contact me martinnorris@btinternet.com

http://www.meetup.com/martin-norris-photography-workshops/events/124051722/

Hi all,

I would just like to say that I attended one of Martin's workshops and it was an excellent, informative, no nonsense introduction to stock photography. As a complete beginner it helped get me started and I would recommend it to anyone starting out in this area. Nice chap, very informal setting, good info. :-)

Archived