Alamy

Alamy Image Manager - want a sneak peek?

IanGibson    207

Thanks for doing this, it looks like it will be a much improved process for me.

As someone whose key wording could best be described as haphazard, I am especially looking forward to;

Lets say you forgot to add the tag “USA” to all your images you took whilst travelling across America. All you need to do now is search for the tag “America” (assuming you added that before), select all images and then just add the “USA” tag once and hit save – you’re all set without overriding any other data.

spacecadet    1,386

I'm apprehensive about a completely new system unless there's an option to carry on with the old one, with which I am entirely happy. Looks like mains and comps have equal weighting which is bad news for some of my older keyword sets.

spacecadet    1,386

Looks good to me.

Getting rid of Flash, yabadabadoo.....

Non-Flash web elements have an annoying tendency not to refresh properly on my second monitor. it's no problem for me and never has been.

Richard Baker    114

.. Looks like mains and comps have equal weighting which is bad news for some of my older keyword sets.

Same here. Though it may be possible to re-visit those older submissions and adjust batched keywords .. erm, I mean tags!

Richard.

Callie    326

looking good, thanks for the update, I like the new discoverabilty tool and getting rid of flash is most welcome

GS-Images    1,182

Thanks Alamy for making the blog post and starting a thread about it here.

I've had a read of the blog, and quite like the way things are sounding with tags and supertags, especially a way to group words together as phrases without the previously confusing issue and bugs related to using quotation marks.

One thing that it sounds like will change, which is what I've been worried about, is that adding duplicate words to the Main and Comprehensive fields will no longer improve image placement. It is one of the "tricks" that I don't think is widely known about, and I haven't seen discussed previously. Let's say I have an image of Leeds Castle and I put Leeds Castle in the caption and essentials boxes. If I was to check the position in the search results and note it, then add Leeds Castle to the main section, the next day my image would be higher up in the results. If I was then to add Leeds Castle to the Comprehensive box too, it's position would rise up again. I have proven this many times with different images and it definitely makes a difference, and is one of the things that gave some of us an edge over our competition who weren't so familiar with the system and hadn't done this testing for themselves.

I'd be interested to know how duplicated words will be handled when our existing keyworded images are transferred to the new system and words in Main and Comprehensive are added as tags. If the advantage this gave me and maybe others is gone, it'll be quite a negative thing that will affect sales. We've been told that the extra work completing the Main and Comprehensive boxes won't be lost, but in the case of duplicates, I'd be surprised. If duplicates still helped, surely everyone would just copy/paste the supertags several times.  :)  I honestly think it would be better if duplicates were never a help at all, but they did make a difference so I wouldn't want my images appearing less high up in results because of the changes. Oh well, I won't complain if that happens as I think there's a lot that's positive about the changes.  :)

We'll have to wait and see but I'm looking forward to giving the new system a try and testing out how various ways of keywording/tagging will affect results. So I'm not complaining or criticising as I don't yet know how it's all going to work out. Definitely exciting times at Alamy at the moment, and of course still very much hoping for a re-rank.

It would be nice those of us who take part in forum discussions on this are in the list of people to get the new updates first......hint hint.  :)

Geoff.

Edited by GS-Images
  • Upvote 4

Richard Baker    114

.. It would be nice those of us who take part in forum discussions on this are in the list of people to get the new updates first

I'm guessing it's the large/regular, News and large sales volume uploaders who'll be treated to the new version first.

IanGibson    207

.. It would be nice those of us who take part in forum discussions on this are in the list of people to get the new updates first

I'm guessing it's the large/regular, News and large sales volume uploaders who'll be treated to the new version first.

Who knows?

I think if I was in charge, I'd look for contributors who keyword/upload regularly, but in small batches to begin with, and if all goes well with those, then those who keyword/upload regularly in larger batches, and end with the infrequent contributors.

• Upvote 1

Jill Morgan    674

Looks good. Being able to add without erasing everything else is great.  And with having the weighted keywords, that should compensate a bit for the double entry benefit.

My main concern is old images with tags such as New York City will go as 3 separate tags as all the keywords in the old images are keyworded with no commas, at least most of mine are.  And will images with keywords in brackets, separated by commas, be regarded as a single tag or end up with each word being a separate tag.

Jill

• Upvote 2

StanRohrer    21

If this is as simple as it looks, I may be motivated to go back and review those very old images keyworded before the current 3 tier system. 

Allan Bell    985

Looks good... looking forward to having a go. And looking forward to being able to keyword using my iPad.

Shouldn't that be "TAG". :)

See I'm learning already. ;)

Allan

• Upvote 1

JeffGreenberg    358

Waiting to hear if agencies & those using Excel merge should

carry on as before or request a changed Excel spreadsheet...?

Also about multi-word single tagging to preserve # tags available,

could a single tag be "New York City subway public transportation passengers"

& why or why not would one want to break up into multiple tags?

Would search for "New York subway" not recognize

"New York City subway public transportation passengers" tag...?

Preserving tags devoted to UK-US words,

would "humor humour" tag be returned with "humor" AND "humour" searches?

Edited by JeffGreenberg
  • Upvote 1

Jose Elias    63

I would like to see Alamy giving a search advantage to those images that have been keyworded with 50 tags to motivate people to review their images. Those who were able to reduce to 30 keywords would receive a even bigger benefit.

Not only would that recognize the efforts of those who try not to spam, but punish those who use a horde of irrelevant keywords. In fact, my experience tells me that 30 keywords are more than enough. Looking at alamy measures and other agencies that identify the keywords used by buyers show that almost all searches use a couple words and are pretty direct on what they want.

One of the agencies that has been recently purchased by a software giant we all know started doing this and I could only see advantages. They accept 50 keywords but value more the images with just 30 and give a higher value to the first seven.

TeeCee    214

Looks all good to me, in particular the ability to set up ready-to go-defaults for pseudonyms.

Should be much quicker and simpler, very happy!

:)

RedSnapper    724

quite possibly

km

MircoV    144

Great!!!! From me full support. It am sure that it will make everyone's  workflow simpler and better.

Thanks Alamy