JeffGreenberg

do you regret "goin' drone"?

When I was last in Amsterdam, someone said there were 350,000 bikes rolling in the city.

Sorry, wim, but I'm not buying your line. There's something about stuff falling out of the sky that I don't like. In fact there are a lot of things about drones I don't like. 

I would love to have one. But I don't. However I have my camera on a stick.

amsterdam-four-bridges-with-many-cyclist

this huge one by car.

amsterdam-museumplein-cyclists-during-ev

this stripped Manfrotto by bike.

florence-italy-david-in-the-piazza-della

this carbon one for travel.

Not banned yet. However as selfie sticks and roller bags are under threat, it can't take long. South Korea only allows licensed selfie sticks according to that video in the DM. Maybe someone got hit on the head by one? Oh no it's the mobile phones on a plane scare again.

350,000 bikes? Hah! Maybe out on the streets at rush hour. ;-)

881,000 is a recent estimate by the city's tourist board. This and more numbers here. Brilliant picture on that page. Not mine. Taken on my favorite bridge.

btw - has someone reported that CNtraveler story? It's full of Alamy images. That article in the Daily Mail also.

wim

My guess is one of these drones will malfunction and fall out of the sky and kill someone, and that will be the end of private and commercial drones. 

This is the point about training and getting the right qualifications. The rules are quite restrictive:  not supposed to fly over groups of people, in congested areas, within 50m of people/property. It pretty much precludes most city flying.

This is the point about training and getting the right qualifications. The rules are quite restrictive:  not supposed to fly over groups of people, in congested areas, within 50m of people/property. It pretty much precludes most city flying.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37761872

Edited by Niels Quist

When I was last in Amsterdam, someone said there were 350,000 bikes rolling in the city.

Sorry, wim, but I'm not buying your line. There's something about stuff falling out of the sky that I don't like. In fact there are a lot of things about drones I don't like. 

I fear noise added to our noisy city, Ed. Have you encountered a leaf blower? Yikes!!! 

Paulette

• Upvote 1

My guess is one of these drones will malfunction and fall out of the sky and kill someone, and that will be the end of private and commercial drones. 

It's not stopping the media using drone footage from people who are flying them as hobbyists and just glad to see their name in lights on the TV!

One Facebook group has featured images shot from very high, above the clouds even and with the drone 2 miles distance from the operator.

Unfortunately those are two reasons why I would hold off... in case they are banned.

male-wearing-ill-fitting-security-clothi

You know those lovely people who approach us when we are doing our jobs and tell us we cant do what we are doing when we can? Imagine then that you dont just have an slr around your neck but a flying machine making an enormous racketand that the laws are ambiguous and variant between jurisdictions. I am not sure the jobsworths are the jobs worth.

BTW many are looking at drones from a stock pov. Is it not possible to develop a side income? For example giving farmers a aerial view of their property so they can improve yields.

From a cost aspect I think it could get quickly a lot cheaper to buy the things as they start turning up in pawn shops as people get bored of their toys. 

There's always the gopro on a balloon option. http://petapixel.com/2015/09/11/lost-weather-balloon-gopro-found-2-years-later-with-grand-canyon-money-shot/

I used to make these balloons out of binbags when I was a kid.

I started flying in January. I do not use it to shoot stills at all. I only shoot 4K video. Initially, I was building a library of 250 clips to submit to Alamy. Unfortunately, Alamy is no longer interested in footage. So last month I uploaded 72 clips to another agency via ftp. One 30 second clip has already sold. I have no regrets at all.

www.iflymydrone.com

Edited by Sunshine Superman
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking of having those things overhead here in the city. If it's okay with the farmer, I won't object to having them buzz his fields. Progress is good. I'm not anti-progress . . . most of the time. Remember the Concorde?  :unsure:

Of course, if you're living in an apartment with concrete and buildings all around, you aren't hearing the lawn mowers, edge trimmers, leaf blowers and the kids across the street playing basketball with their car radios cranked playing rap music. Although you're hearing traffic, horns, etc.

I've heard drones. Son-in-law, remember. I've heard a knot of hornets in my back yard just as loud. Sure made the A/C guy run for his life.

Edited by Betty LaRue

There is also a lI bought a drone from a friend up north in March, but never got around to collecting it, and, after serious consideration, I had him sell it on for me!

The reason I gave up before starting was the inability to sell images commercially without the (very expensive and time-consuming CAA licence), also the inability to supply stock with the dedicated camera which would have been a go-pro with the small sensor.
Not sure I would have wanted to risk a more expensive small camera like the RX100m3 .
There are also a lot of very 'maverick' videos around which may be to the detriment of the drone community as the Cowboys get noticed and legislation is brought in to try and control them.
The final reason was that I spend winter in Spain, and looking at the regs over there I would find it impossible to find safe havens to fly in without getting a substantial fine, so, for the near future, I will stick with my monopod.

On 10/29/2016 at 21:17, Betty LaRue said:

Of course, if you're living in an apartment with concrete and buildings all around, you aren't hearing the lawn mowers, edge trimmers, leaf blowers and the kids across the street playing basketball with their car radios cranked playing rap music. Although you're hearing traffic, horns, etc.

I've heard drones. Son-in-law, remember. I've heard a knot of hornets in my back yard just as loud. Sure made the A/C guy run for his life.

Can you believe it, Betty? Occasionally somebody uses a leaf blower here to clear sidewalks or a little park. I hate them soooooo much. We get enough noise here with the trucks and, yes, cars that have music? blaring with their windows open. I'm blessed with a quiet apartment though I do hear what I call the buzz of the city from the traffic. I'm miserable about the fact that almost all stores and restaurants have music these days. Whatever happened to silence? Maybe that's why I love the wild places.

Paulette

On 10/25/2016 at 14:39, Betty LaRue said:

You are a cut "above", Bill. ;)

Nope. Bill's actually an angel in disguise. B)

54 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Can you believe it, Betty? Occasionally somebody uses a leaf blower here to clear sidewalks or a little park. I hate them soooooo much. We get enough noise here with the trucks and, yes, cars that have music? blaring with their windows open. I'm blessed with a quiet apartment though I do hear what I call the buzz of the city from the traffic. I'm miserable about the fact that almost all stores and restaurants have music these days. Whatever happened to silence? Maybe that's why I love the wild places.

Paulette

I'll second all of the above. Silence is golden, as the old song says. I've been known to yell "Get a broom!" at neighbours who insist on using obnoxious leaf blowers.

Can't comment on the use of drones in stock photography, but I do notice fewer drones buzzing around Vancouver's skies. Perhaps the novelty is wearing off somewhat. That said, I've seen some remarkable drone photography and video. They obviously have legitimate uses, just not in my backyard, please. -_-

Posted (edited)
On 10/27/2016 at 20:37, Ed Rooney said:

There are 9 Million Bicycles in Beijing

Edited by fotoDogue

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Funny thing, when you are accustomed to noise but tune it out, then go camping in a remote place, the noise of the crickets and other critters seems very loud....because it is a new noise and you don't have walls around you to mute it.

Our brick house is relatively sound proof. We don't hear the cars that pass by, but do here lawn care machines but muted. Sometimes I walk out on the patio at night just to hear the crickets, cicadas, toads, all making their own music. Then, here in the city, the occasional police helicopter with a searchlight sussing out criminals flying over.

Those toads calling to each other after a rain are something else. I think they have megahorns. And yes, I know the difference between the sound of a toad and a frog, lol.

Betty

On 10/27/2016 at 19:20, wiskerke said:

I would love to have one. But I don't. However I have my camera on a stick.

amsterdam-four-bridges-with-many-cyclist

this huge one by car.

amsterdam-museumplein-cyclists-during-ev

this stripped Manfrotto by bike.

florence-italy-david-in-the-piazza-della

this carbon one for travel.

Not banned yet. However as selfie sticks and roller bags are under threat, it can't take long. South Korea only allows licensed selfie sticks according to that video in the DM. Maybe someone got hit on the head by one? Oh no it's the mobile phones on a plane scare again.

350,000 bikes? Hah! Maybe out on the streets at rush hour. ;-)

881,000 is a recent estimate by the city's tourist board. This and more numbers here. Brilliant picture on that page. Not mine. Taken on my favorite bridge.

btw - has someone reported that CNtraveler story? It's full of Alamy images. That article in the Daily Mail also.

wim

Vancouver has a lot of catching up to do, but we're getting there.

vancouver-canada-21st-july-2013-festival

I suppose that a "Sony on a stick" or a drone might have helped here.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

> camping in a remote place, the noise of the crickets

I hear that.

Right now.

Always.

Hundreds of crickets or frogs in chorus.

In the distance.
Tinnitus.

Edited by JeffGreenberg

8 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

I hear that.

Right now.

Always.

In the distance.
Tinnitus.

+1

:-(

Can still hear (and prefer) real crickets and frogs though.

wim

On 26/10/2016 at 00:02, TeeCee said:

I'm still running Canon slr's - utterly no experience of Sony kit, though evidently Betty and many others here get great results with them.

Drones capable of lifting heavier stuff are here, though you've then got to figure out the remote side of things.

I've no doubt it can be done, my doubts are to the economic viability of doing so, i.e. return on investment.

+1 . It will be difficult to find a R.O.I in stock photography.

For landscape photographies there are cheap options like Kite for aerial photography,  or to search a cliff to shoot the subjects :)

This one look like an aerial photo :

cannes-27th-september-2017-the-regates-r

On 10/25/2016 at 19:41, JeffGreenberg said:

Did you get drone fever?

Did you get over initial thrill?

Did you find too many drone stock shots turn out to look less than salable?

Did time involved to get each drone shot cut into your handheld stock shooting time?

Did drone shooting turn out to be a hobby rather than a source of income...?

Comments from dronists-dronites-droners appreciated.

Am still in fever stage, but on just completed regional trip

had chance to imagine how often & how time-consuming each drone

shot would have been & how many fewer handheld shots

would have been "traded off" for drone time...

I have a drone think it's a hobby one. I had no control over it and flew it into a neighbors garden, I haven't used it since. I brought it to take photos with...

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Vancouver has a lot of catching up to do, but we're getting there.

vancouver-canada-21st-july-2013-festival

I suppose that a "Sony on a stick" or a drone might have helped here.

I've used my set of background poles, clamped firmly to a set of step ladders with a ball/socket head and the G5X on top.
Bit of a fiddle getting the angle right, but it does get me a camera about 12 - 15 feet off the ground, fireable from my Andoid phone.

Not ideal but a quality result.

Edited by TeeCee

19 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

I hear that.

Right now.

Always.

In the distance.
Tinnitus.

I’m truly sorry about that Jeff. Here’s hoping you are coping. Didn’t realize I was a poet. :D

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Funny thing, when you are accustomed to noise but tune it out, then go camping in a remote place, the noise of the crickets and other critters seems very loud....because it is a new noise and you don't have walls around you to mute it.

Our brick house is relatively sound proof. We don't hear the cars that pass by, but do here lawn care machines but muted. Sometimes I walk out on the patio at night just to hear the crickets, cicadas, toads, all making their own music. Then, here in the city, the occasional police helicopter with a searchlight sussing out criminals flying over.

Those toads calling to each other after a rain are something else. I think they have megahorns. And yes, I know the difference between the sound of a toad and a frog, lol.

Betty

I have lived in downtown Toronto, lots of noise and out here in the country where quiet reigns.

I had a city friend of mine visit for a weekend and she couldn't sleep.  It was too quiet and the absolute dark drove her crazy.  She missed the street lights.

Jill

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have lived in downtown Toronto, lots of noise and out here in the country where quiet reigns.

I had a city friend of mine visit for a weekend and she couldn't sleep.  It was too quiet and the absolute dark drove her crazy.  She missed the street lights.

Jill

Sounds like heaven. :)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m truly sorry about that...

Don't notice much except in very quiet settings.

Then its like a Lower Alabama night near a pond full of spring peepers:

(yes, the tinnitus has varying sound just like this but thank gawd much fainter!!!)

Edited by JeffGreenberg