London calling!

Jansos

Hi all,

Thought I should say 'Hi' and introduce myself. 

Have been taking pics since I was a kiddie but only recently started to delve into the world of stock. My first camera was an Olympus OM1 and currently I am using a Nikon D7100. Have started to use Lightroom quite a bit and am quite impressed with how easy it is to use. Don't use Photoshop at the moment as it seems very labour intensive and I'm not sure it would be labour/cost effective.

Not really trying to pay any bills using Alamy (thankfully) more as a means of seeing if it will help supplement my pension on retirement. At the moment it is just beer money but I hope to make a few quid out of it and at least it keeps me out of the house and gives me some exercise. I actually quite enjoy walking around London and snapping away stock but it is still relatively early days and the attraction could wear off.

The vast majority of my stuff is on Flickr, unfortunatley taken with a Nikon P7100 (although a 10 megapixel camera it is not suitable for Alamy quality control specs).

Best wishes,

John (aka Jan)

Hi John, Welcome.

The size of the camera sensor is more important and I do not think the 1/1.7 sensor in the P7100 would produce image quality good enough for Alamy. At least you would struggle to pass their QC.

4/3rd sensor is the smallest that seems to be acceptable. Most use bigger than that though to get the IQ to pass QC easier as well as giving the customer a better image and more likely get the sale.

Allan

For the moment I am keeping photography and beer money separated. Photography is great but beer is greater. 

Hi Alessandra - that sounds like a good idea!

I hope I didn't upset the anyone by referring to people's hard graft as beer money. I was talking from a purely personal perspective. So far the earning's as much as they are welcome, have yielded very low returns on all the time invested in key wording, editing, post processing etc.  I have had a number of photos in the national press but the return is paltry (peanuts - can go with the beer!). It is a labour of love. :-)

For someone whose majority of income comes from stock (Alamy and Getty), mine's a Belgian Trappist, thank you.

Good luck and bottoms up.

an-unrecognisable-bather-wearing-a-strip

Richard.

Hi Richard, Cheers! Great pic BTW. I think the dachshund is looking away in disgust at those trappist contortions!

For someone whose majority of income comes from stock (Alamy and Getty), mine's a Belgian Trappist, thank you.

Good luck and bottoms up.

an-unrecognisable-bather-wearing-a-strip

Richard.

Richard, You mention 'the dark side' - I have heard nothing positive about them (paltry fees etc). Is that your experience?

Welcome. Beer money and potential pension subsidy is a very sensible approach.

Most of my sale these days come from photos I take during aimless wanderings around London - but I don't live there so you have the advantage.

Hi Phil, 28,160 images is most impressive. How long have you been doing stock for? Aimless wanderings are the best and very therapeutic! :-)

Jansos,

Maybe this isn't the forum to discuss G but briefly, I've only just migrated my Corbis work there so very early days. Ask me in a year!

Richard.

Hi Richard, Will do. Thx :-)

Welcome. Beer money and potential pension subsidy is a very sensible approach.

Most of my sale these days come from photos I take during aimless wanderings around London - but I don't live there so you have the advantage.

Hi Phil, 28,160 images is most impressive. How long have you been doing stock for? Aimless wanderings are the best and very therapeutic! :-)

Longer than I can remember, but really seriously for about 5 years. 

Archived