Sign in to follow this  
GS-Images

Locking or removing our own threads

A way to delete our own threads and also lock them ourselves would be nice to see in the forum. At least deleting them within a certain time-frame such a within an hour of creating them would be useful. Also if we're happy that the conversation has run it's course, then locking a thread we've started ourselves would be an alternative to the "solved" option that doesn't often fit.

Sometimes I start a thread then have second thoughts about it (could be for various reasons), so rather than ask admin it would be nice to have the facility to delete it myself, rather than editing the content of the post, which still leaves it there and in the way of other threads.

Also may I politely and respectfully suggest that admin don't keep having their say then locking a thread so we cannot give our comments. Often new threads are started because of this, so it would be good if those threads where we're having a perfectly decent discussion were left open for further comments. Obviously there are times when it's sensible to lock a thread in the interest of Alamy or another organisation we may be discussing, but often it comes across as being done so admin can have the last word and for no other reason.

Thanks,

Geoff.

You can remove the text from your own threads for a time, about an hour I think.

But the way in which a certain thread was locked the other day appeared, and I say appeared, somewhat high-handed, the more so because it was done without explanation. One couldn't see how it could be interpreted other than "shut up, you're disagreeing with me".  It followed some decidedly cagey posts from admin. A shame as Alamy is invariably so open. It left a slightly bad taste in the mouth.

Edited by spacecadet

You can remove the text from your own threads for a time, about an hour I think.

But the way in which a certain thread was locked the other day appeared, and I say appeared, somewhat high-handed, the more so because it was done without explanation. One couldn't see how it could be interpreted other than "shut up, you're disagreeing with me".  It followed some decidedly cagey posts from admin. A shame as Alamy is invariably so open. It left a slightly bad taste in the mouth.

You can edit the contents of your own posts at any time, but can't leave them blank. Or are you saying you can completely remove all the content for up to an hour, so the thread is removed automatically?

I agree with the rest of your post.

Geoff.

Just edit by writing in " deleted". true, you can't remove the post itself or the thread title.

Thanks for your suggestion, but we won't be implementing this functionality for users. If you find it frustrating when Alamy, as moderators, lock threads then giving the ability to all users to do this would likely mean a frustrating experience for many.

We moderate the forum in the best way we can, and threads occasionally need to be locked if they have gone off topic or if they are straying into an area that is unproductive or inappropriate. 

As moderators, we often have the last post before locking in order to conclude the conversation and give reasons for locking. We let conversations go for as long as possible and we are far more open than our competitor forums, but managing a forum of our size does mean that sometimes users will not agree with our moderation.

As listed in the forum rules, this forum is an area to discuss things with your fellow photographers and Alamy reserve the right to take any actions deemed appropriate to ensure the forum is not disrupted. We're sorry if you find our method of moderating unhelpful.

Alamy

Just sometimes it can be unhelpful, especially the red arrows just for an opinion, but usually there are no problems and we all appreciate the input we often get from admin.

Many thanks for your response,

Geoff.