Motorbikes - which brands, types

I´m not a biker, and my motorcycle-knowledge is very limited. Any ideas, which brands and types these are? Harleys?

The emblem on the tank shows a "V":

D8HPB6.jpg

This has skull and bones on the emblem:

D8HPBR.jpg

I hope, there is sombody less ignorant than myself!

I wish I could see them larger, but pretty sure the second one is a custom Harley or other American made. Japanese motorcycles have brake on left side whereas Harley's have shifter on left side. So top one is Japanese and second one definitely American in a softail frame. Doubt it's in a rigid frame with the fenders on it and primary covers are very distinctive also, which seems to be Harley or S&S. 

Steve is right it's a Drifter. It's just very hard to see whether it's an 800 or a 1500. (the difference is 5 degrees: one has the cylinders at a 50 degree angle; the other at 55 degrees. The 1500 has injection; the 800 a single carb.

wim

Whoops, reckon I've been away from the motorcycle industry too long. Japanese motorcycles are looking more and more like HDs all the time. Needed to see the engines up close to know for sure, but at least they'll never sound like Harley's, thank goodness. hehehe ;)

Whoops, reckon I've been away from the motorcycle industry too long. Japanese motorcycles are looking more and more like HDs all the time. Needed to see the engines up close to know for sure, but at least they'll never sound like Harley's, thank goodness. hehehe ;)

Here's an 800 with ehh sound and weird ehh pipes. ;-)

wim (who after all these years still mourns his m20)

edit: honestly, I had no idea there would be a youtube video embedded here, when I only pasted a link to it.

Here's an 800 with ehh sound and weird ehh pipes. ;-)

wim (who after all these years still mourns his m20)

edit: honestly, I had no idea there would be a youtube video embedded here, when I only pasted a link to it.

I just had a listen to the youtube link and even straight through short pipes it doesnt sound any thing like either of my harley big twins, not sure why though as they are both V twins.. maybe the vn 800 is watercooled and the angle of cylinders, bores and stroke is different has something to do with it...

I just had a listen to the youtube link and even straight through short pipes it doesnt sound any thing like either of my harley big twins, not sure why though as they are both V twins.. maybe the vn 800 is watercooled and the angle of cylinders, bores and stroke is different has something to do with it...

Well I had thought HD won their patent for their distinctive sound, but they gave the patent application up in 2000 after 6 yrs. of litigation. The 45° angle of the jugs are patented though and that has a good deal to do with the sound. I've heard many a foreign bikes over the years, though some come close, it's still not that distinctive sound of a Harley. In my quick research this morn, I was surprised to find a patent on water cooled heads. :( The V Rod was bad enough when it came out and now this? Very disappointing...

Well I had thought HD won their patent for their distinctive sound, but they gave the patent application up in 2000 after 6 yrs. of litigation. The 45° angle of the jugs are patented though and that has a good deal to do with the sound. I've heard many a foreign bikes over the years, though some come close, it's still not that distinctive sound of a Harley. In my quick research this morn, I was surprised to find a patent on water cooled heads. :( The V Rod was bad enough when it came out and now this? Very disappointing...

Oh no not water cooled harley's.....I know that the vrod is water cooled, but I have never regarded that as a proper harley anyway..I dont know what my mate would think as when he is out riding with us his ride is a 1941 WL . Flat head.. foot clutch hand gear change, I have ridden it afew times and all I can say it has a mind of it' own

Oh no not water cooled harley's.....I know that the vrod is water cooled, but I have never regarded that as a proper harley anyway..I dont know what my mate would think as when he is out riding with us his ride is a 1941 WL . Flat head.. foot clutch hand gear change, I have ridden it afew times and all I can say it has a mind of it' own

Indeed it is a downright sin to water cool a Harley! Ah the great 1941 Flathead, still so many around and running strong. My first scoot was a 1940 EL Knucklehead that some idiot chopped and thankfully didn't try running it, cuz the rake was so drastic it would've seized the motor. By the time I regrettably sold it due to youngens to care for, she was 85% stock. Know all about those suicide clutches/shifts. LOL ;) Sure wish I still had her.... first bike I split the cases on and built from the ground up. Now can't touch one for under 30K :(

Archived