cutout mask

DDoug

Often, with cutout images, there are highlights in the main subject which make it difficult to use the Magic Wand selection tool with Select Similar to produce an accurate mask.

One can make a mask using the Paths and/or Lasso freehand selection tools and save the selection, which puts it in a fourth channel. Of course, this is not savable as a JPEG.

For the convenience of buyers who want to superimpose the image on a background, I'd like to be able to submit the mask as a companion JPEG to the main image, delivered at no additional cost to the buyer.

wreath.jpg wreath_mask.jpg

In this day of too many willing to sell images for peanuts, or even just for a credit line, and IF you could sell a mask too . . . why on earth would you give it away free?

If we aren't going to properly value our work, how can we expect other to?

dd

I think I do properly value my work and I agree that if it were to sell for peanuts, then it wouldn't be worth it.

However, if "cutout" implies that it can be easily masked and superimposed on a background image, then it seems reasonable to me to include the mask with the image.

Don

I think I do properly value my work and I agree that if it were to sell for peanuts, then it wouldn't be worth it.

However, if "cutout" implies that it can be easily masked and superimposed on a background image, then it seems reasonable to me to include the mask with the image.

Don

Don, I said "if WE don't value our work" . . . I was speaking generically :) I have no reason to believe you don't value your work.

I look at this like I look at providing both a colour and a monochrome version of the same image . . . it's a waste of time IMO, if a buyer wants a monochrome version of one of my images, he/she can do it themselves (which has happened on at least two occasions I know of with my images), or they can pay extra for me to do it (which has happened several times with some of my images). Same if I was going to go to the trouble of making a mask.

dd

Archived