Completely "wrong" view..

I've never had this happen before. The search was for "Water splash" and an image of a sandhill crane came up. Neither "water" nor "splash" was in the keywords. I don't think I have made an error but the search engine did. Has anyone else run into this?

Paulette

I have had exactly the same thing happen today. A search for 'tomato' returned an image of a fountain in Berlin. I just had a careful check of the keywords and tomato is certainly not in them. I never noticed this before, it just really stood out today because the view was on a pseudonym that didn't make sense. 

Unless image has total of just a few key words, you're not seeing all of them. It's quite likely that "water splash" appears, say in comprehensive box.

My guess is the sandhill crane image was part of a series that included bird splashing in water in at least one of the images, and "water splash" ended up in some that it didn't apply to, for whatever reason.

And I see that a lot in shots within a series. For example, results of "water splash" search include a series that shows a person in a pool, with and without any actual "water splash" shown in various views.

no, you can see all keywords on your own images, otherwise they would be really hard to manage  :)

Unless image has total of just a few key words, you're not seeing all of them. It's quite likely that "water splash" appears, say in comprehensive box.

Oh, I need to read more carefully - didn't realize NYCat was referring to one of her own images. Thanks!

no, you can see all keywords on your own images, otherwise they would be really hard to manage  :)

I had a similar thing happen with yesterday's views. A search for "Lumley Castle" included an image of mine of a poppy, not taken at Lumley Castle and without these words anywhere in the keywords. Even more intriguing, looking at "All of Alamy" yesterday for the same search, or searching "Lumley Castle" from the Home Page, it doesn't show my image. Very strange!

Carolyn  

I did a search for my mis-viewed word too and again my image did not show up. Surely the views should be consistent based on a given search term and shouldn't be just throwing in random images with no relevant keywords, something seems to be not working quite right here.

I've never had this happen before. The search was for "Water splash" and an image of a sandhill crane came up. Neither "water" nor "splash" was in the keywords. I don't think I have made an error but the search engine did. Has anyone else run into this?

Paulette

So do I understand right, someone viewed one of your images, which "water splash" was used and your own keywords do not have either of those words anywhere.

Do people go day by day and look at every image search that someone does on ones own images?

How did you find this error?

Paulette

So do I understand right, someone viewed one of your images, which "water splash" was used and your own keywords do not have either of those words anywhere.

Do people go day by day and look at every image search that someone does on ones own images?

I look at what people searched for and whether the images presented are correct - good way to weed out errors.  Can't say I do it every day, but try to do it as often as possible, doesn't take long.  I'll also try to see whether the images presented are the 'best' ones.

I've also seen a few strange views that I can't explain.  Can't recall previously ever seeing an error in the search terms  I can usually find why an image has been portrayed when I wouldn't expect it to. 

Essexps

Paulette

I look at what people searched for and whether the images presented are correct - good way to weed out errors.  Can't say I do it every day, but try to do it as often as possible, doesn't take long.  I'll also try to see whether the images presented are the 'best' ones.

I've also seen a few strange views that I can't explain.  Can't recall previously ever seeing an error in the search terms  I can usually find why an image has been portrayed when I wouldn't expect it to. 

Essexps

I do exactly the same. Each day check searches and make sure my keywording is relevant with no typos etc. 

Also, you need to pay close attention to description and location as the search will take into account what you put into these two boxes. I have found a few images in the past that have shown up in a search without the keywords but the words searched for were either in the description or the location. Careful wording in both of these is required to avoid false positives!

Paulette

Yes I check each day.

Click on each search term so you can see which images of yours were viewed.

Click on the image are check the keywording, description and location to make sure it is correct.

Paulette

I have a relatively small number of photos with Alamy and not a terrific rank so maybe it is easier for me than for others, but I do check my views almost every day. I just look at "yesterday' or the days since I last looked. With the example of "Water, splash" I clicked on that search term and saw that my one view was of a sandhill crane standing on grass. I looked at my keywords to be sure they were not there by accident. They were nowhere in any field. Just so odd. I never have seen that before. I constantly revise my keywords to remove the ones that are bringing up inappropriate views.

Paulette

Paulette

Essexps

I do exactly the same. Each day check searches and make sure my keywording is relevant with no typos etc. 

Also, you need to pay close attention to description and location as the search will take into account what you put into these two boxes. I have found a few images in the past that have shown up in a search without the keywords but the words searched for were either in the description or the location. Careful wording in both of these is required to avoid false positives!

I think you will find that the Description is NOT searchable but the Location IS. This means that it is safe to put extra info in the Description field that you don't want searched. Sometimes I put the location in there if it is only slightly relevant to the image i.e. if a buyer might want to know where a still life or portrait was taken but I don't want it to come up in searches.

Pearl

Same thing happened to me. My Alamy measures showed that someone supposedly searched for "Chester Clock [WOP]" but the thumbnail shows one of my images of a boat in Scotland C7W2K9.

Chester and Clock do not appear in any of the keywords or location field in that image, or in any of my images...

It doesn't do your CTR any good if the system either misreports that you've had a view when you didn't, or if the user really did get a view of an your image which was not related to their search terms. It's also the first time I've ever seen this. It happened on 22nd April. I think there's been a glitch in the system...

Paulette

Essexps

Interesting, thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure I understood exactly how people were seeing these.

Paulette

Essexps

I think you will find that the Description is NOT searchable but the Location IS. This means that it is safe to put extra info in the Description field that you don't want searched. Sometimes I put the location in there if it is only slightly relevant to the image i.e. if a buyer might want to know where a still life or portrait was taken but I don't want it to come up in searches.

Pearl

Interesting, I think what you'll find here is duff info.... from me  :D  I meant to say "Caption" not "Description". Force of habit as I use it to provide a brief description.

• 4 years later...

I have noticed over the past couple of months that a small number of my images are now regularly turning up in searches for terms that I have never used. The most recent example was a search for "out of sight". When I checked the image that showed up for this search I found that had not used any of those three words in any of the fields. Very odd.

Whoa.... This is a very old thread. I started it and can't even remember it. I have had something recently with a search for his or hers. Herds of zebra and wildebeest came up and I figure the computer mischief maker thought herds was hers. Anyway, I decided not to worry about it. It was uploaded with the new image manager so not something from the comprehensive box.

Paulette

I decided to check my image again and I had written "hers of zebras and wildebeest" in the caption. So my error. I blame it on the new image manager though. Hard to read the caption. My resentment knows no bounds. My deepest regret is that I cannot do the batch appending and removing that I would love to do. I wasn't very knowledgable years ago about what to include and I'd love to add some to a bunch of photos. Maybe if I use Wim's nice tool for removing duplicates but that would be very labor intensive too. So I am mostly leaving my old images alone unless I have a spare moment to add supertags.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I decided to check my image again and I had written "hers of zebras and wildebeest" in the caption. So my error. I blame it on the new image manager though. Hard to read the caption. My resentment knows no bounds. My deepest regret is that I cannot do the batch appending and removing that I would love to do. I wasn't very knowledgable years ago about what to include and I'd love to add some to a bunch of photos. Maybe if I use Wim's nice tool for removing duplicates but that would be very labor intensive too. So I am mostly leaving my old images alone unless I have a spare moment to add supertags.

Paulette

I do remember what was said before we got the new AIM.  Something like "you'll be able to batch add keywords without losing what you have."

Sounds very nice, and probably works ok for those who use few keywords to begin with.  If you have 20 tags that goes to 40 with duplicates, then you have 10 to play with.  Sure doesn't work for me. I always used quite a few.  Sometimes I have three copies! I've sure never been able to batch legacy images. Laborious editing, one by one.

Betty

Archived