Hi all, I've recently joined and have a couple of questions.

Bella

I've not been here long and only have just over 100 images so far. I wasn't sure whether to tick the additional revenue options - that is, Distribution, Novel Use and UK Newspaper scheme. Any advice from anyone? I'm also not sure how to see if I've had any views of my images. I see people talking about zooms but can't find that option.

Any thoughts on how long it often takes for a first sale, all things being equal (which of course they're not).

Welcome Bella. Personally I'm quite selective. I've never subscribed to novel use or the newspaper scheme because I don't agree with selling my work for peanuts (though nowadays there are a lot of peanuts outside those schemes too).

Alan

Distributor sales are about 15% of my sales by volume. Newspaper, probably 20%. Not by value though. So you would probably reduce your revenue by 10-15%.

There are plenty of threads on first sales- it could be 2 weeks or 2 years. With 100 images it could be much longer.

You need thousands to get regular sales.

When I joined there was a lot of talk about tiny prices for Novel Use so I have never done it. I wasn't even aware that now you can opt out of the newspaper scheme. I am in it but not selling a lot there. We get less money for sales through distributors because of the extra commission but some of them pay very well so I am happily in it. You have very good images, I think, and a nice variety.

Paulette

Welcome Bella,

Just a note re. Keywording and captions - these are very important - an example would be your interesting signpost in FKK8W9 - you dont actually say in the caption where this signpost is, nor do you seem to have it in the keywords. It will make it much more salable if you do!

Kind regards

Kumar

Welcome Bella.  I'm new too, having 230 images on the site.  Good luck with it, and as for sales, patience and uploading quality images is the name of the gamer.  Oh, and spot on key-wording...

Thanks for the replies and welcome everyone! Also thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I will need to check my keywords and fix that one Kumar!

Andy, you and I are FB friends, sending a big wave :)

Philippe, thank you, I don't know how I didn't see that!

I hope to build my portfolio but it does take quite some time and editorial type shots are a little trickier on this site.

Archived