Front cover for $8 ?

I've had a pretty good year/month, thank you Alamy, but today I get this RF sale

$8 Usage: iQ sale: Educational book, editorial print + digital use, front cover, one time use only

Once upon a time, and not so very long ago, a textbook sale would bring in a decent 3 figure sum.

Disappointing. That is not why I came from micro in 2009. Perhaps it is time to leave the maicro business before the fading a has gone completely. I know that just saying so is to stir up a hornets' nest of disapproval  and red arrows, but perhaps one's time could be used in a better way.

I've just come in from a day in the field trying to do something different for sales, only to logon and find a sale of $8 for a front cover! Disappointing is an all too polite a word, let alone the thought of the Buyer laughing all the way to the bank. Sales like this do nobody any good in the long run. A glum end to the day.

Jim :(

Bryan,  i feel for you as well as myself, this year i have had some bad sales across the various archives i am with,  i am happy to say Alamy has not sold images of mine as low as $8.

Let's hope this is just a one off.

Paul.

I think the answer is simple. How much i dont like to hear it but Microstock exist. I can inmagine that a client says to Alamy: I just found a similar image on micro agency X for much lower price. Can you make me a offer? And BAM 8 dollars.... taken. I think this will happen more and more in the future. It is like a group of cats that are used to drink water. The first day you put a bowl with milk on the other side of the room the cats will still drink from the water bowl not realizing yet that there is something "better". The day will come that the first cat discovers the milk and start to drink. The others will follow. It is just a matter of time.

Alamy will need to adjust just like other agencies are doing otherwise .........

This is the truth i think how much i or you dont like it :( . James mentioned one time on a video. Alamy will be there for the long run just some changes will happen.

Mirco

Bryan, i feel for you as well as myself, this year i have had some bad sales across the various archives i am with, i am happy to say Alamy has not sold images of mine as low as $8.

Let's hope this is just a one off.

Paul.

Had 5 sales this month under $ 7 (Gross!!!) Lowest was $ 2.49 to the poor people of SWEDEN (distributor sale leaving me ............... $ 0.74) I wouldn't dare putting it in a beggar's cup :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe

I too helped the failing Swedish economy with a $2.49 sale this month. I see today that there is a $5.15 distributor sale now waiting in the wings, don't know yet to where or for what usage. Next year could turn into a real humdinger if this keeps up.

Not sure what to say about an $8 RF educational book cover. I thought that only RM images were licensed under the IQ scheme. My lowest IQ sales have been in the $30-$40 range.

B.t.w. what happened to the $ 180 textbook sales? This month: 0 (zero). Never happened before!

I haven't had any recently either BUT in the last two months I've had three 

Usage: iQ sale: Single company - multiple use editorial only

Industry sector: Education

for over $200 - maybe the price has gone up!!!??!?

I have one of those $8 IQ sales today also. It is a duplicate of one I had in July for $40 with the only difference being the dates. I know IQ was supposed to have various advantages for the buyer and perhaps this may have something to do with that. By the way, my image is RM.

Paulette

I have one of those $8 IQ sales today also. It is a duplicate of one I had in July for $40 with the only difference being the dates. I know IQ was supposed to have various advantages for the buyer and perhaps this may have something to do with that. By the way, my image is RM.

Paulette

Uh-oh, there goes my RF theory (see my last post above).

I wonder if it's one of those all-encompassing licences, where the one fee and licence are for all sizes/placements, and whilst the cover image being possible, most are actually just little pictures inside the book ?

Still rubbish tho. Guess it was a peanut deal or no deal.

. I see today that there is a $5.15 distributor sale now waiting in the wings, don't know yet to where or for what usage. Next year could turn into a real humdinger if this keeps up.

I've one of those 5.15 tiddlers waiting in the wings too. My image was used back in May, in Italy, about the Italian recession...............

With many seeming to have this, you'd like to assume that it was a mosaic of many images on one cover. But even then...

Could very well be. It would be helpful if Alamy could include something like "mosaic" or "collage" use in the usage terms when this is the case. 

Yes Ed I remember those days well.

Concerning the OP's original post, it may well be as part of a group of images.

I will say that until this month I've been annoyed with the license fees I've been

seeing from Alamy, FYI I do not blame Alamy for those low fees.  I've suggested

many times that there should be a way for the photographer to set a minimum

license fee for specific images, but it does not seem to do much good.

I've also written before that with the fall of license fees for stock I've returned to

commissioned work and I'm making more in a morning on commission than I

do in a month on Alamy.

Again, I do not blame Alamy for what has transpired, but I would like to see Alamy

doing something to get the fees for an image license up ASAP.  I also believe that

it is up to the photographers (contributors) to raise the level of images and the captions

and keywords on work being submitted.

Happy New Year....

What I really get "peeved" about is a low sale to a self biller, then waiting for 3 months for the sale to drop in and then waiting another 3 months or so for the sale to clear. And, having to keep records and check them to make sure the sale actually does finally appear. I'm still waiting for MS to get back to me for a non appearing sale on an image zoomed and subsequently appearing on a web site a couple of days later in August.

Any comment from Alamy perhaps to justify such a low figure.I am just starting out but this is just discouraging.

Sorry to say, but you missed the boat (Titanic) 7-8 years ago.

2015 is the first year where I have to add thousands of images just to keep the same income as the year before. Says a lot about the health of the stock business.

Cheers,

Philippe

Just to add a comment. The stock business is not dying in the perspective of the agencies. The revenues are growing every year for them. I look at the american ones that are publishing the results. Many of them are opening new offices every year to keep track of the demand. There is more and more images needed.

The dark side of this is that many of the contributors will not feel it since the competition is growing.

Mirco

Paulette

Checked back and found that was also the case with my sale, i.e. a duplicate.

Archived