"courtesy of Alamy"

Hi Folks:

I walked into a stationers shop last week to buy Christmas cards.  One image was very familiar to me, I recognised it as my own.  Checking the back of the card I read  "photography courtesy of www.alamy.com".  

What could this mean? Has anyone noticed this and actually been paid for the image?

Puzzled!

Kathy

Am I right in presuming that you have not been paid for this use - and that the wording "Courtesy of www.alamy.com" more or less says they are not paying for the use?

Never heard of such uses. I hope you have secured a card or photographic evidence of both sides - and have / will e-mail(ed) member services.

PS and if there is no mention of the publisher on the card - ask the shopkeeper from where the cards have been bought.

Am I right in presuming that you have not been paid for this use - and that the wording "Courtesy of www.alamy.com" more or less says they are not paying for the use?

Never heard of such uses. I hope you have secured a card or photographic evidence of both sides - and have / will e-mail(ed) member services.

PS and if there is no mention of the publisher on the card - ask the shopkeeper from where the cards have been bought.

Hi Niels and others:

Thanks for you interest.

Yes, so far no sale reported for this use.  The word  "courtesy"  does suggest a free use to me which of course I would never agree to.  

I did in fact buy the last packet of cards on the shelf and sent Alamy a scan and await a proper reply.  

The company selling the card supports 32 charities.  

Kathy

Although the term 'courtesy' doesn't sound so good and implies a 'gift' I've had a few credits like that and have been paid. Not sure why people do this but the times that this has happened to me the client has been a charity - even though they paid for a license for the image. Maybe it is to encourage donations or donators. 

Hi Niels and others:

Thanks for you interest.

Yes, so far no sale reported for this use.  The word  "courtesy"  does suggest a free use to me which of course I would never agree to.  

I did in fact buy the last packet of cards on the shelf and sent Alamy a scan and await a proper reply.  

Kathy

If the card is to support charities, then this may certainly be a freebie from Alamy to the charitable source. Should let you know though.

Jill

Thanks Richard:

That's a welcome comment and good to know,

Kathy

Ya welcome Kathy. 

I've just been speaking to a friend of mine who has/does work in the charity 'business' and i asked him about this. He confirmed what I thought - that it sounds better and hopefully encourages donations - a wee bit naughty from the charity involved because it implies that the image was also 'donated' but that is the purpose of the credit line apparently.

IMO charities pay better than national newspapers these days.

Thanks Richard:

That's a welcome comment and good to know,

Kathy

Ya welcome Kathy. 

I've just been speaking to a friend of mine who has/does work in the charity 'business' and i asked him about this. He confirmed what I thought - that it sounds better and hopefully encourages donations - a wee bit naughty from the charity involved because it implies that the image was also 'donated' but that is the purpose of the credit line apparently.

IMO charities pay better than national newspapers these days.

Thanks a lot Richard.

Encouraging,

We shall see.

Kathy

Cheeky question, but...

What are bloody annual salaries & bonuses of top brass at those (32) charities???

Wilst** you let us know?

**Wilst:Will, not to be confused with Whilst:While

As far as i can see/ascertain Jeff the salaries of people working in the charity sector are well below those of people in businesses in public/private sector at the same age/experience.

Annually around here, we get calls supposedly from our local police department soliciting donations. A few years ago, there was a big investigative newspaper article revealing this particular solicitation and a couple more, were done by a telemarketing company that kept 80-90% of the proceeds. The call is always made by a guy with a deep, manly voice lending hints that I am talking to an officer.

Sorry, if I read about a widow and children of a dead officer, I'll send the donation directly to her. I'm not throwing my money at a bunch of telemarketers.

I hang up on those jerks, now.

I've had a reply from Alamy about the term "courtesy" in this usage:

"I've taken up this usage with our billing team and will get back to you once we have an update from them. The Photograph Courtesy doesn't mean it's free but it's a credit line of the photo to identify

from where the image has been downloaded from."

So that is good but, I think they should get the publisher to change the way they credit the supplier to simply:

Photograph www.alamy.com © Kathy deWitt

Kathy

Archived