DACS from Alamy showed up in my account as well. One thing very strange, there are two identical DACS entries of credit listed under my "balance of account" page. Now my "Cleared balance" includes BOTH credits. I wonder if Alamy made a mistake, one of the two should be their cut, therefore listed under "Debit".

I applied to DACS direct. The money was in my account before the advice notice of payment arrived but when it did I received two identical notices in the same post.

Perhaps Alamy entered both into your account then found the error later.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still trying to get my 52 pounds that DACS sent to the UK government in error.  I had sent them my Canadian tax residency certificate for 2014 in August 2015, but they ignored that.

When I questioned that they claimed that they needed a 2015 form last year!  No government will vouch that I resided in country for the year, only part way through the year.  Besides, the claim last year was for sales up to 2014. 

It was DAC's error.  DACS should pay.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have thought you could reclaim the tax deducted against your US tax report. There is a treaty designed to prevent double taxation between our two countries. But there can be exceptions. Keep the document for your accountant if you use one. US publishers often deduct /withhold 30% of reproduction fees and send me certificates which I include in my figures. Depends on how much I can balance them against UK taxable revenue. 

It might be more useful to ask another US photographer how they treat these things. If the sums are in the loose change category, I might not bother

In Canada, the form for reclaiming such withheld tax is very complicated and I would get only a small fraction back.  I'm still waiting for DACS to give me my 52 pounds that they wrongly withheld.  I gave them all the documentation last year, which DACS ignored.

Don't we have a double taxation treaty? DACS does what it is obliged to do. The penalties are very severe.

You mean the penalties are severe for DACS ignoring the double taxation treaty and my 2014 certificate of residency in Canada? 

Or the penalties are only severe for giving me my money when the UK really needs it?

Don't shoot the messenger!

I meant the HMRC penalties for incorrect returns. Individuals are fined £100 for being a day late. I'm not making a judgement about your individual circumstances, I don't know what they are.

Considering its efficiency in distributing royalties and reducing its running costs year-on-year, I'm sure that DACS is doing its best to interpret its obligations.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it OK to throw away the HM Revenue & Customs certificate of deduction of income tax?  I'm not sure if I need it for anything.  I'm in the US.  Anyone know?

I saw my accountant today so I have an answer for US photographers. You can take it as a deduction on Schedule A as taxes paid. That's the simple way. The harder way is more to your benefit. You claim a Foreign Tax Credit on Form 1116. it is a tax from royalty income. DACS, of course, sends the form with the amounts in British pounds so it's a good idea to make a note of the conversion rate at the time they pay you.

Paulette

Archived