Fuji X Pro1 / X Trans Users

Hi, thought I would start up a thread to record findings etc for this camera and sensor, especially after seeing that LR5 has just been released. I had a bit play with LR5 and compared it with LR 4.4 and did not see any difference to the way it handles X Trans senors Raw files.

However, what I have found is that Capture One 7 are offering 50% off their Capture One Express 7 package. After VAT etc it works out as £35. I downloaded a trial copy to begin with and after a few hours testing it alongside LR4 & 5, I have found that it renders the colours, details and sharpening of X Trans files better than I was getting with LR. This is a little bit of a headache as I use LR quite heavily. That said, for £35 I am going to use Capture One as a Raw/DNG converter and then use LR to manage Tiffs/Jpgs as well as my catalog, sorting and uploading etc.

The offer on Capture One is on until the 16th June. They are also offering 20% off their pro package but as they don't offer plugins for Photoshelter or Alamy, I think I will stick with the Express version to process raw files.

Link to Offer

Link to Comparison - Express vs Pro

The sharpening controls with Capture one seem to offer a lot finer control and the odd RAW files that exhibited a water colour effect in LR don't appear to do so in Capture One?!?.... and, it also seems to control reds a lot better. This really surprised me as in LR some images with red flowers blocked out completely but didn't in CO 7.

Anyway, as a free trial it is well worth looking at!

I'm contemplating LR5, so it's good to see your comments, Duncan.

I've found LR 4.4 a noticeable improvement for processing raw files from the x trans sensor, so I'm happy to stick with LR for now.

As for 'reds,' I've not had an issue with this & tend to tweak saturation/luminance in the red channel if needed.

ann

I'm contemplating LR5, so it's good to see your comments, Duncan.

I've found LR 4.4 a noticeable improvement for processing raw files from the x trans sensor, so I'm happy to stick with LR for now.

As for 'reds,' I've not had an issue with this & tend to tweak saturation/luminance in the red channel if needed.

ann

No problem. In LR 4.4 I only had occasional issues with water colour effect but I could see any difference with problem files in 5 when compared to 4.4. If you need or like the other features in LR5 then it's work going for, otherwise it might not be really worth it if you are just looking to resolve that issue. It would be best to trial it first so you can do plenty of side by side comparisons first. You can run 4.4 and 5 as separate apps on a Mac and I would imagine it's the same on a PC.

In the end, I liked it enough to go back and get the Pro version and I'm now tweaking my work stream to suit. It offers very similar tools with some additions. I really like the layers system, Keystone tool is really good and easy to use. It looks like it will provide enough control to not need PS at all. Time will tell. For now though, LR will be an upload / plugin tool only and processing will be done in Capture One Pro 7.

We just bought the Fujifilm X-E1 last week, and using the raws in LR 4.4 was so disappointing we are now constantly shooting RAW+Jpeg, and only using the RAW's when it is really needed.

But ehm... Pretty amazing camera I must say... (Our other camera's are Canon 5D- and 1D-ish things).

We just bought the Fujifilm X-E1 last week, and using the raws in LR 4.4 was so disappointing we are now constantly shooting RAW+Jpeg, and only using the RAW's when it is really needed.

But ehm... Pretty amazing camera I must say... (Our other camera's are Canon 5D- and 1D-ish things).

Seriously, take a look at the £35 copy of Capture 1. Or, trial it first. I have been processing X Pro1 files all day and shots I was having problems with LR 4.4 are perfectly fine in Capture 1. They remind me of the files from the 5dmkii. I'm really glad I went over to it now.

Nearly went for the X-E1 myself but fancied the OVF. The lenses are top notch and worth investing in over time.

Seriously, take a look at the £35 copy of Capture 1. Or, trial it first. I have been processing X Pro1 files all day and shots I was having problems with LR 4.4 are perfectly fine in Capture 1. They remind me of the files from the 5dmkii. I'm really glad I went over to it now.

Nearly went for the X-E1 myself but fancied the OVF. The lenses are top notch and worth investing in over time.

Sure going to give Capture 1 a try... And indeed, for 35£, (after the trial) it's never going to be a very bad purchase...

As for the lenses... We are used to using Canon's L lenses, and initially we bought the X-E1 thinking the quality would be ok, but not great, but wow... these lenses ROCK! and compared to L-glass, they're almost for free :-)

Sure going to give Capture 1 a try... And indeed, for 35£, (after the trial) it's never going to be a very bad purchase...

As for the lenses... We are used to using Canon's L lenses, and initially we bought the X-E1 thinking the quality would be ok, but not great, but wow... these lenses ROCK! and compared to L-glass, they're almost for free :-)

Ha ha.... tell me about it. I had a 17-40L and 100-400L and loved them both, especially the long zoom as it was sharp throughout the range. Well, I have been processing the first proper shots with the 55-200 and it matches it for sharpness, right the way up ro 200mm. I love long lenses for landscape shots and I was really missing a high quality zoom with the Nex, they were ok centre but not edge to edge like this is. The 14mm is incredibly sharp...to be honest, there isn't really a duff one amongst them.

Great, that makes it all a bit easier to choose. They're all just great! ;-)

:D The only one I took back was the 18mm, nothing really wrong with it but the 18-55 zoom was very good throughout it's range.... again! The 60mm is extremely sharp and is excellent for close up studio work as well as the usual portrait / landscape shots.

Do you happen to have compared the Fujinon 60mm Macro to the Canon 100mm L-IS Macro. AFAIK the fujinon only goes half size macro?

No. I had the Sigma 150 f/2.8 for the 5dmkii. That was a lovely lens and was 1:1 magnification. The Fuji is 1:2 magnification but is very good. It is very sharp even wide open at 2.4 and by f/4 it is extremely sharp edge to edge... to the point I dial down sharpness when processing, very nice bokeh as well. It won't however break any speed records with autofocus, as with most macro lenses but out of macro mode it is quite good!

I'm also a X-E1 user and jumped at the Capture One 7 Express special offer, which happened to coincide with the end of my 60 day free trial period. That said, I shoot jpeg+RAW and only use the RAW on an 'as required' basis - no sense in practice bleeding when the jpegs are of such high quality.

I'm also a X-E1 user and jumped at the Capture One 7 Express special offer, which happened to coincide with the end of my 60 day free trial period. That said, I shoot jpeg+RAW and only use the RAW on an 'as required' basis - no sense in practice bleeding when the jpegs are of such high quality.

Very true. The OOC Jpgs are superb. They have a lovely feel to them. If I am taking stock / work photos I often just use raw as it fits with my workflow, especially landscape stuff when I want to get as much detail as possible. That said, for personel / home stuff I use jpgs as I know the colours and detail will look great and there will be no requirement to print at 20x30inch.

Archived