Sign in to follow this  
GS-Images

Vote up and vote down buttons

After having one of my forum posts voted down (as in clicking the red arrow) yesterday, I am feeling really quite annoyed. I did make a mistake in the facts I posted (although those facts came from many sources) but I still took the time to give someone advice, and the rest of what I wrote was accurate, complimentary and hopefully helpful. Yet someone still decided to mark me down for that one inaccuracy. It puts me off wanting to bother making posts to help out in future as it's a horrible feeling to have someone actually go to the effort to click a button to let you know how they disliked what you wrote! The voting up option is good, but the voting down most certainly isn't, as there are always going to be people who are too quick to judge and who think nothing of marking someone down. If Alamy would consider removing that dreaded red button I doubt I'm the only who who would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading this,

Geoff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure that the green or red buttons serve any useful purpose. They aren't used often, and are sometimes pressed accidentally when scrolling on a touch screen device.

They don't mean that the comment was helpful, or good advice, just that someone approved of it. They may only have found it amusing.

• Upvote 2

Mate

After having one of my forum posts voted down (as in clicking the red arrow) yesterday, I am feeling really quite annoyed. I did make a mistake in the facts I posted (although those facts came from many sources) but I still took the time to give someone advice, and the rest of what I wrote was accurate, complimentary and hopefully helpful. Yet someone still decided to mark me down for that one inaccuracy. It puts me off wanting to bother making posts to help out in future as it's a horrible feeling to have someone actually go to the effort to click a button to let you know how they disliked what you wrote! The voting up option is good, but the voting down most certainly isn't, as there are always going to be people who are too quick to judge and who think nothing of marking someone down. If Alamy would consider removing that dreaded red button I doubt I'm the only who who would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading this,

Geoff.

Mate, it's been raised by many here a thousand times--the coward (red) arrows have lead to some actually abandoning the forum, to the forum's detriment, but I'm afraid that's how things are (and have been for quite a while now).

Notwithstanding the fact that sometimes users on some portable devices are quite prone to genuinely hitting the coward button accidently when scrolling page to page (I think, users of mobile devices can illuminate more no doubt), there is indeed a small handful of users here who are very quick to hit the coward button, instead of responding like adult human beings, if they read something that perhaps challenges their way of thinking. Strange I know, but sadly true :-)

My advice, for what it's worth, is carry on regardless and ignore them . . . and although it's small comfort, over time you'll start to get an inkling of who the main users of red arrows are :)

EDIT: Alamy, to their credit, have always insisted they monitor the use of the coward arrows and any untoward use (not sure if "untoward" was the  word they used, but you get the gist) would cause them to have a chat to that user. Here's hoping :)

dd

Edited by dustydingo
  • Upvote 1

I don't bother with them except for someone who spots one of my images. Or gives me a really good laugh. Red(dies?) not at all.

I certainly don't concern myself if I get one- probably wouldn't notice.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Geoff,

+1 from me to have your green back up .....

I see some users here floating around the forum with -39 in red :D  so dont worry about yours.

• Upvote 1

I ignore them like they aren't there. Never use them for good or bad.

• Upvote 1

I hate them so much that I seem to have myself trained to not even see them. So sorry you got one. I have just given you a green one. I probably should give more of those to people who take the time and trouble to help out on the forum. But I really don't notice them most of the time. I had a big struggle with Alamy a while back on the red ones and have given up worrying about it.

Paulette

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for all your kind comments and of course for the greenies too.  :)

I feel a little bit of an idiot for letting it worry me. Not the first time I've felt like that after making a post in some forums!  :D

Cheers,

Geoff.

• Upvote 1

There are three locked topics alone in this section of the forum that refer to this issue. 

People have the ability to "vote up" or "vote down" all posts. Many of those who vote down go on to comment as well. The forum has been a far more constructive and "peaceful" place compared to the forum of old which didnt have a reputation system, so it will be staying.

We can view who votes for what and if we feel certain individuals are abusing the system, we deal with that. There is also a limit of how many downvotes a user can do in one day - upvotes are unlimited.

Cheers

Alamy