Windows 10 for free, there has to be a snag??

Did the Windows 10 update/upgrade today. Worked like a charm. Tried everything I could think of that would cause problems, but everything works fine. After a tiny bit of orientation I've now set it up how I like it - quite similar to Win 7, but slicker and seems a bit quicker.

Did the Windows 10 update/upgrade today. Worked like a charm. Tried everything I could think of that would cause problems, but everything works fine. After a tiny bit of orientation I've now set it up how I like it - quite similar to Win 7, but slicker and seems a bit quicker.

I haven't got my notification yet, so will update when I do. Could be today, could be 2 months from now.

Jill

Thanks for this info. I, for one, will be interested in seeing any further updates you may have on your experience of Windows 10.

I haven't got my notification yet, so will update when I do. Could be today, could be 2 months from now.

Jill

If you want to kickstart the update but don't have the notification there are simple instructions here http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-upgrade-not-showing-yet-heres-how-manually-trigger-update

I have just followed these and it kick started the download immediately.

Simon

Jill

If you want to kickstart the update but don't have the notification there are simple instructions here http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-upgrade-not-showing-yet-heres-how-manually-trigger-update

I have just followed these and it kick started the download immediately.

Simon

Thanks Simon, but didn't work for me. Guess I will just have to wait for my official notice.

Jill

Well, I found a very simple way to download and install, and so far so good. But its past 1 in the morning here so not a lot of time to check it out. Using the Edge Browser. Let you know what I think. Like the Start Screen so far.

Jill

Well, I found a very simple way to download and install, and so far so good. But its past 1 in the morning here so not a lot of time to check it out. Using the Edge Browser. Let you know what I think. Like the Start Screen so far.

Jill

Love the customizable start screen and my one widget (so far) - the weather widget. The ability to have numerous "desktops" is also great.

Does anyone know yet how big the download will be? I have a monthly daytime bandwidth limit and I'm assuming an operating system is probably going to be quite a few gigabytes. Off-peak times are limit-free but I read somewhere that if you accept the W10 upgrade it will download itself in bits whenever it chooses to do so, and I can't afford to not have control over when it downloads.

Alan

Like a few others I'm worried, Microsoft say this constantly ie this later version of Windows brings all the best of past windows versions and incorporates new fabulous versions, or words to that effect!

I'm still on 7 and have held off buying a new PC because of all the trouble changing from XP to Vista, 7 is fine, my daughter has 8 on her laptop and I can't stand it, I can't work out how to do anything on it!

I also presume my version of Microsoft Office won't work as they'll want me to get 360, it's all such a pain.

Ass I've posted elsewhere my Subscription to Adobe LR & PS aren't working properly as of the last two days, which I presume is down to a windows update.

Ideally I'd buy a Mac and I do keep looking at prices on e-bay as all the software updates on Windows are always a pain, as is Windows operating systems in general, whenever anything changes it seems to take days to get everything working again.

Macs seem to be better, or is it just the grass is always greener scenario?

But apart from the price no doubt I'll need a few hundred quid to sort other problems.

Oh well rant over, off to see if I can sort my Adobe problem out!

I did sort my Adobe problem out, it seems it probably was to do with the new updates and the fact I had to turn off "use graphics processor" under  Edit>Preferences>Performance>graphics processor settings>Use Graphic processor

Thanks for this info. I, for one, will be interested in seeing any further updates you may have on your experience of Windows 10.

Martin what did you upgrade from? Also, what o you have in the way of other programmes i.e. are they up to date?

As for example on my windows 7 machine I have Microsoft Office 2007, so I guess this will cause me problems. I also have an eye one for calibration, which is about 8 years old, again I guess this might be defunct in 10.

Therefore I am guessing if all your programmes, software etc are relatively new, or from 8 upwards it might be ok to upgrade?

Upgraded from Win 7 on both Dell Desktop (5yrs old, i5, 16gb) and a HP DV6 laptop (4 yrs, i5, 8gb).

Everything that I've tried seems to run fine CC (Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge), Adobe Premiere Elements, OnOne Perfect Effects 9.5, Portrait Pro 12, Perfectly Clear, Nik, Keyword Perfect, Xrite Color Checker Passport, Spyder 3 Utility (Color management), various Canon utilities for two printers (and scanner) as well as camera.

Connected devices working fine such as; Intuos 4, Dell U2410 monitor, Canon Pixma Pro 10, Canon MP600, Logitech speaker system, Spyder 3 Express.

Think that the underlying "code" is basically refined Win 7 with a updated interface, new features. Download was quick (but have 140mbs fiber). Done a few updates in the background after that.

Okay, I can put up with lots, but don't screw with my Spider Solitaire.   :angry: Keep getting NULL errors when I use the undo. This is my addiction! Get with it Microsoft. It was bad enough when it didn't come with Windows 8 and I had to do a bit of a side load.  Never mind Cortana, fix my Spider Solitaire!

Jill

I upgraded last night and all went pretty well.. Unfortunately it's screwed with my logon credentials to the domain on my server, but the work around is to disconnect from the network before logging on, then reconnect after logon - a pain, but I'll live with it until I work out how to fix it! 

I really like the new OS - I also liked Win 7 to be honest, but this does seem to be a good upgrade - much faster too. 

Got a Nvidia GT something card on the laptop and it has caused no problems, despite one driver update. AMD card on desktop also updated to some win 10 driver without a problem, as well as Canon Printer Utility (happened in the background). Everything just works, love the interface, yet familiar to my "beloved" Win 7.

Okay, I can put up with lots, but don't screw with my Spider Solitaire.   :angry: Keep getting NULL errors when I use the undo. This is my addiction! Get with it Microsoft. It was bad enough when it didn't come with Windows 8 and I had to do a bit of a side load.  Never mind Cortana, fix my Spider Solitaire!

Jill

This may be of interest to you Jill…..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3180657/Microsoft-fire-Windows-10-users-playing-Solitaire-costs-10-year-unless-want-sit-video-ads.html

Jill

This may be of interest to you Jill…..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3180657/Microsoft-fire-Windows-10-users-playing-Solitaire-costs-10-year-unless-want-sit-video-ads.html

Took me a bit to find the included solitaire. I was using my sideloaded version (which is still better).  Didn't ask me to pay and there are no ads.Must be on the tablet, phone versions.

The new version is not great. Can't change backgrounds and cards, and the one included, it is difficult sometimes to tell the clubs from the spades. But it works.

I will have to adjust. Ah, such stress.  :)

Also, we in Canada do not get Cortana yet, so can't try that out. Tried lying to the Windows and telling it I was in the US, but it caught my lie.

Jill

Updated today, a couple of hitches.

I started using the little Windows symbol on the bottom right of screen, and all seemed to be well, but after a few hours nothing had happened. Did a web search and found this is a common problem. Go to the Start menu and pick Windows Update. That worked fine, although it still takes a while to load and install, but you are given a running commentary on progress.

Second hitch, it didn't install the driver for my graphics card and there didn't appear to be a method of ditching the feeble Microsoft effort in favour of my own hardware's driver. Another web search suggested using Drivethelife and I duly downloaded and employed that tool. It suggested a system restart which duly fixed the problem. Maybe a restart without it would have done the trick.

Finally of course the new software defaults to Windows own browser, and it took a bit of scratching around to change the default back to Chrome.

Edit - another problem. If you set Windows Picture Viewer to  be the default program to open JPGs and then open a directory in Explorer, you can pick individual images OK, but moving through using the right arrow in Viewer is picking up a random selection of images from that directory. Not found a cure for this as yet. The new default photo viewer app doesn't appear to allow a quick switch between actual pixels and fit to screen, essential in my view for comparing shots for upload.

Upgraded yesterday on my self built three year old desktop computer with no problems.  This morning a had a little pop out advertisement for Office online show up so I guess there will be some marketing taking place.  I have a seven year old Dell laptop that is currently running Windows 7.  I got a message yesterday that the there is no Win 10 video driver yet available for it so I am unable to upgrade.  The message did suggest checking around for a driver for it.  I will keep checking in the coming weeks to see if a driver becomes available.  I swapped the traditional hard drive in it with a Solid State drive a while back and it operates like a new computer again so I would like to keep it up to date.

Archived