Windows 10 for free, there has to be a snag??

Windows 10 attempted to update last night. I left it running set on Update and Close Down, but it was still at it this morning. While the screen message eventually said 100% update complete, there followed another message saying that the update had not been successful. I've taken the option of pursuing this, and have been informed that an update is available. Crackers!

Edit - tried to install update to be told that my computer is up to date!

Windows 10 attempted to update last night. I left it running set on Update and Close Down, but it was still at it this morning. While the screen message eventually said 100% update complete, there followed another message saying that the update had not been successful. I've taken the option of pursuing this, and have been informed that an update is available. Crackers!

Edit - tried to install update to be told that my computer is up to date!

Sounds very similar to the problems I had.

I'm increasingly pleased that I switched to a Mac for my main computer and left two old PCs "locked" on Windows 7 SP1 with all updates turned off. All three are running fine.

My sister in law updated her old notebook PC to Windows 10, it ran fine for a while, but it steadily got slower and slower before keeling over. I suspect it ran out of disk space larely due to the huge updates (she only had MS Office and a small number of files on there). She's now bought a new PC with a much bigger disk and more RAM with Windows 10 preinstalled.

Archived