Image processing before submission help

New to Alamy and want to start submitting images but I have a question about how much processing we are allowed to do, if any. I understand that Alamy does not accept any pictures that have been sharpened. Are we allowed to do any processing at all? I just started to get into photography and only shoot in RAW.

Is there a list or can anyone provide a list of can and can't be done to a picture before submitting. Or do I just shoot RAW, convert to .jpg and submit with no processing. Thanks in advance.

Start HERE , then move on to the list of points at the bottom headed "Further Help".

Once you've digested all that, then you may have some specific questions you might want to pose here.

dd

Lightroom has a default sharpening setting for RAW. I don't know if you are supposed to turn that off as well because I shoot jpg. Perhaps someone can answer that question.

I leave it as default and not had any problems with RAW...

I think the Alamy advise is re Output sharpening, and the default in ACR is effectively Capture sharpening, needed for RAW files.

Phil

Lightroom has a default sharpening setting for RAW. I don't know if you are supposed to turn that off as well because I shoot jpg. Perhaps someone can answer that question.

I think the Alamy advise is re Output sharpening, and the default in ACR is effectively Capture sharpening, needed for RAW files.

Phil

I've noticed that the default RAW sharpening gives a very bad stippling effect at high ISO even though the image is intrinsically sharper. I haven't solved that one yet.

Phil

I've noticed that the default RAW sharpening gives a very bad stippling effect at high ISO even though the image is intrinsically sharper. I haven't solved that one yet.

I haven't seen that with RAW files...I'm shooting Canon 5D MkII and Fuji XT1 & X100, have successfully used all up to 1600ISO and the 5D  & XT1 to 3200ISO.

Im also a little confused on the part where Alamy states to check the image at 100% zoom. Here is what I sent them.

"Also I'm confused as to why soon 100%. When doing so the part of the image doesn't look to be in "focus" . Every forum I ask I keep being told not to zoom to 100% when checking images. Can you clarify."

The answer they gave me doesn't really help. Hope members here with more knowledge can help me out and hope you understand what I mean when zoomed in at 100%,even in RAW, the picture doesn't look "in focus". Thanks.

Im also a little confused on the part where Alamy states to check the image at 100% zoom. Here is what I sent them.

"Also I'm confused as to why soon 100%. When doing so the part of the image doesn't look to be in "focus" . Every forum I ask I keep being told not to zoom to 100% when checking images. Can you clarify."

The answer they gave me doesn't really help. Hope members here with more knowledge can help me out and hope you understand what I mean when zoomed in at 100%,even in RAW, the picture doesn't look "in focus". Thanks.

Whoever told you not to zoom to 100% is talking through the wrong orifice. This is the only way to properly check focus on an image. If you are so new that you don't understand the basics, then the sensible thing would be to learn the trade first and then consider submitting to Alamy. For example, do you know why you are shooting in raw only? There is a lot to learn and it is such fun but, given your questions, I guess that Alamy is several steps down the line for you. This is not the place to actually learn photogaphy but you will get great advice when you have achieved a certain level - able to take a technically good picture that can withstand detailed scutiny at 100%.

OK, maybe we the "in focus" wasnt the right word. I mean, when I look at a pic on the screen, when first imported to lighroom, everything seems in focus, sharp crisp no issues. Even if looking at the picture in "actual pixels" everything looks good. Now when zoomed in at 100% I don't see that section as crisp and clear. Am I making sense? Would anyone like to critique a few of my files? I am Willing to share them.

I shoot RAW because that's the proper way to process a file. All the information needed is there.

I know I'm new but that does mean I shouldn't give it a try. I sure many members here are not "professionals". There must be some amateurs as well.????

Any help would be appreciated. If we need to talk outside of the forum as to not brake any rules you can contact me at antoniodinis78@gmail.com. I have a dropbox account and can upload sample images there.

If your pix are not sharp at 100% they won't pass Alamy QC. It's that simple. That's not to say that if they are they will, but it's the starting point.

if they're not you need to find out why- camera, lens or technique, assuming you haven't done any processing.

If your pix are not sharp at 100% they won't pass Alamy QC. It's that simple. That's not to say that if they are they will, but it's the starting point.

if they're not you need to find out why- camera, lens or technique, assuming you haven't done any processing.

I think that's where I need help. That's why I'm offering sample pictures to figure out if at 100% they are correct.

OK, maybe we the "in focus" wasnt the right word. I mean, when I look at a pic on the screen, when first imported to lighroom, everything seems in focus, sharp crisp no issues. Even if looking at the picture in "actual pixels" everything looks good. Now when zoomed in at 100% I don't see that section as crisp and clear. Am I making sense? Would anyone like to critique a few of my files? I am Willing to share them.

Post a few full resolution images and I'm sure there are plenty of people here willing to critique and offer advice to tell you if you are heading in the right direction or not. Without seeing some images, giving 'advice' is rather useless!

-Jason

I shoot RAW because that's the proper way to process a file. All the information needed is there.

I know I'm new but that does mean I shouldn't give it a try. I sure many members here are not "professionals". There must be some amateurs as well.

Any help would be appreciated. If we need to talk outside of the forum as to not brake any rules you can contact me at antoniodinis78@gmail.com. I have a dropbox account and can upload sample images there.

Actual pixels and 100% are the same thing so what you are saying doesn't add up. Are you generating 1:1 previews in Lightroom. My preference is to view images at actual pixels in Photoshop for judging focus in any case as there is no waiting for a preview to build and it is much faster to move around images than Lightroom.

Professional quality imagery is the key here and for any images that are being provided for sale.

I'm shooting in NEF (RAW) with a Nikon D7000 and when I convert to jpeg at the highest quality setting I only get a max file size of about 10MB. How do I get up to the 17MB minimum requirement? Thanks!

Ok, i have upload 3 samples to Dropbox, along with the untouched jpg is a txt file with some info (please note the the pictures where in NEF then converted to DNG so i could open them in photoshop cs4). Bellow is the link. Thanks and looking forward to your critique, be fair and gentle. lol

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4hfgtvro1xpk31p/AACHsbWNIzth1Liy5rMVKdi4a?dl=0

It's a bit unsharp at higher magnification but might pass at 100%. Personally, I'd be disinclined to risk it.

1/80 is a little on the slow side, I wonder if it may be a touch of camera shake.

this was straight out of camera, handheld during a partly cloudy day... but thanks for the info. so i assume you recommend i submit the one with the bird.

Going back to the original question about sharpening. I work in jpeg, and do sharpen images, but everyone who does that will know that over-sharpening looks awful. So, sharpening with discretion seems to be OK, as my sharpened images do pass quality control.

Archived