MircoV

Post your positive results here :)

I’m thrilled with October. If I make no other sales this month, my statement stands.  This is already my best month ever as it is by several sales.  

The nice thing is nearly all of these images were zoomed. My zooms are healthy, not quite as good in October as previous months, but still good. 

Whats even better is that only two are lower value, $12-13. The rest are decent to really nice. I don’t know if I’m having my end of month “surge” early, or if....drum roll...it is yet to come! :D Be nice if it is yet to come!

Betty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m thrilled with October. If I make no other sales this month, my statement stands.  This is already my best month ever as it is by several sales.  

The nice thing is nearly all of these images were zoomed. My zooms are healthy, not quite as good in October as previous months, but still good. 

Whats even better is that only two are lower value, $12-13. The rest are decent to really nice. I don’t know if I’m having my end of month “surge” early, or if....drum roll...it is yet to come! :D Be nice if it is yet to come!

Betty

Congrats Betty. I'm on the opposite shore this month with my worst month in a long time, but hey this is the positive thread right? Still 6 days left. :)

27 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Congrats Betty. I'm on the opposite shore this month with my worst month in a long time, but hey this is the positive thread right? Still 6 days left. :)

I’ve been working very diligently on my legacy images, fixing tags and captions. In another thread, I mentioned I recently have had some old images zoomed, more than have ever been normally zoomed that close together.  Now I’m getting the sales ramping up. 

I’m not done fixing them all, yet, but I can’t help but believe straightening out the mess is paying off. I haven’t checked, but I might have only a year’s worth of image uploads to fix.

Having an iPad is great, because in the evenings I can do that busy work while comfortably sitting on my sofa with one eye on the television. With my back issues, I could never sit at the computer for that long, nor would I want to spend an hour or two at my desktop after dinner.

Betty

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been working very diligently on my legacy images, fixing tags and captions. In another thread, I mentioned I recently have had some old images zoomed, more than have ever been normally zoomed that close together.  Now I’m getting the sales ramping up. 

I’m not done fixing them all, yet, but I can’t help but believe straightening out the mess is paying off. I haven’t checked, but I might have only a year’s worth of image uploads to fix.

Having an iPad is great, because in the evenings I can do that busy work while comfortably sitting on my sofa with one eye on the television. With my back issues, I could never sit at the computer for that long, nor would I want to spend an hour or two at my desktop after dinner.

Betty

I've not been so disciplined but I do re-keyword as I come across them. Still got a long way to go.

I'm now above last year's downloads and gross $$s. :)

That makes 2017 my highest downloads year ever with 9ish weeks to go (though several of these are unreported DM sales from previous years).

It would be very surprising if I topped  2013's $$ total though, that's a one-off spike on my chart - due to high RPD, rather than high download numbers.

• Upvote 1

I have also joined the this-year-more-sales-than-last group by one sale. This is my best month-best year ever. I haven’t checked $$ amounts, though. 2013 was a very good year, wasn’t it?

Betty

Oct 2017 is my best month ever so far. Five sales for $313 gross.

BME here too, nearly double the year's average by volume, even the average gross is nearly back to normal. Still jogging to stand still, but no need to run this month.

Edited by spacecadet

My October should just beat September once the dust settles. I've just had a three figure amount drop in from The Times for an image which was in the printed and online editions, and which is more than I was expecting even for News. It's still early doors on this last day of the month too. There's still time for further treats to pop in.

• Upvote 1

Checking  net revenue, I see a $187.52 sale.  That’s nice this early in November.

Betty

Just matched last year's sales total, though total revenue down by a few hundred dollars. Clearly the exponential growth in sales and revenue over the last few years has stopped, at least (for the time being) for me.

Alex

Two $125 sales yesterday.

Sales this month are up to 60% of the whole of last year. I'm hoping this is an ongoing trend.

Just realised- I've had 40% of this year's revenue since October 2nd. 

52 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Just realised- I've had 40% of this year's revenue since October 2nd. 

Wow! Congrats. :) As this is the +I've thread, I'll stop at mentioning my %!  :huh:

Don't know how positive this is, - had a $580 sale on 6/11 which was refunded on 8/11 😟 - now had a different image sell for $390 on 10/11 - frankly I am not holding my breath! 

Reimar - I know how you felt last month!!

Kumar (the Doc one)

• Upvote 1

I am positive that I have had no sales for months. I am positive that the more work I upload, the more sales diminish. I am positive that I am finding it a waste of time submitting here. Sorry but that's how I feel :mellow:

46 minutes ago, Marb said:

I am positive that I have had no sales for months. I am positive that the more work I upload, the more sales diminish. I am positive that I am finding it a waste of time submitting here. Sorry but that's how I feel :mellow:

oh no don't lose the faith. You have some fabulous photos.

Perhaps a few are dark, as someone advised me recently about mine and I see now what looks too bright or overexposed to me

seems to be more acceptable! (Does anyone have a rule of thumb?)

Also my views and zooms have greatly improved since I was advised here to improve keywords using compound ones

so before I just had "child, eating, ice cream" now I've added "child eating" "eating icecream" etc

Also I've added 50 tags to some photos, some say no need but Im showing up on page 1,2,3 of results now

Elaine

15 minutes ago, efk11 said:

oh no don't lose the faith. You have some fabulous photos.

Perhaps a few are dark, as someone advised me recently about mine and I see now what looks too bright or overexposed to me

seems to be more acceptable! (Does anyone have a rule of thumb?)

Also my views and zooms have greatly improved since I was advised here to improve keywords using compound ones

so before I just had "child, eating, ice cream" now I've added "child eating" "eating icecream" etc

Also I've added 50 tags to some photos, some say no need but Im showing up on page 1,2,3 of results now

Elaine

Thanks Elaine, I have put a lot of effort into submitting more exclusive editorial images this year but it seems to have had a detrimental effect. Love your donkey images, they are adorable animals. usually sales increase on the run up to Christmas but not so it seems. It's hard to be positive and I feel I have made all the effort I can with keywording before it becomes spamming.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I know exactly how you feel, it absolutely sucks.  Nothing wrong with your pictures, they're very sellable.  You've maybe got a handful of similars, but nothing majorly bad.  Keep the faith and keep doing what you're doing - the sales will come!

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Can I correct that and say you have MOSTLY exceptional photos!! Am really interested to hear what the experts think here.

3 hours ago, efk11 said:

Can I correct that and say you have MOSTLY exceptional photos!! Am really interested to hear what the experts think here.

Thanks, it's kind of you to say. It's very easy to get despondent when you put a lot of effort into processing your RAW files, tagging etc for no reward.

8 hours ago, Marb said:

I know how you feel Marb. I have been slogging away for months now and am on the cusp of reaching 4000 images online. I have had some sales this year but all for small amounts and some have been derisory, No sales at all this month so far:(

Kevin

30 minutes ago, Hellonearth said:

I know how you feel Marb. I have been slogging away for months now and am on the cusp of reaching 4000 images online. I have had some sales this year but all for small amounts and some have been derisory, No sales at all this month so far:(

Kevin

You have a nice variety of images, but most of them I would consider a nice variety of travel. If I were you, I’d throw in some food, even if it means you eat out and take a picture of your dinner. If someone in your family bakes, ask for a head’s up for imagery.

Get some pictures of ordinary things you might find in your house or yard. 

Animals of all kinds, including pets. Know and name the breeds

Flowers and plants, isolated with out of focus backgrounds. Go to conservatories or public gardens where plants are labeled and take a picture of the plant/flower, and one of the label. You must have the common and scientific name. When flowering shrubs and trees are in bloom, drive around and shoot them. Find out what they are even if it means knocking on a door and asking the owner.

family...cooking, playing a game, having a picnic

ethnic people in family situations or children playing. If you are lucky, several of different ethnicity interacting or even conversing.

Stretch your imagination and think out of the box.

Those of us who have a broad variety might do better than those who don’t. 

Some here who specialize, for instance animals/birds, or plants, are very good at what they do in order to sell well. But that doesn’t mean you are shut out. 

I’ve  sold a flowering vine multiple times because most of the ones I’m competing with have taken closeups of the flowers. I’ve done that too, but the one that keeps selling is of the whole plant.

A lot of your shots fill the frame. Try a closeup, then one zoomed out with space around it. A horizontal and a vertical.  Space is good...room for text, or a horizontal a buyer can crop to a vertical without losing part of the subject. Sky above when possible, perfect for text.

You’re a good photographer, but maybe there is room for improvement in your composition.

Hope this helps.

Betty

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You have a nice variety of images, but most of them I would consider a nice variety of travel. If I were you, I’d throw in some food, even if it means you eat out and take a picture of your dinner. If someone in your family bakes, ask for a head’s up for imagery.

Get some pictures of ordinary things you might find in your house or yard. 

Animals of all kinds, including pets. Know and name the breeds

Flowers and plants, isolated with out of focus backgrounds. Go to conservatories or public gardens where plants are labeled and take a picture of the plant/flower, and one of the label. You must have the common and scientific name. When flowering shrubs and trees are in bloom, drive around and shoot them. Find out what they are even if it means knocking on a door and asking the owner.

family...cooking, playing a game, having a picnic

ethnic people in family situations or children playing. If you are lucky, several of different ethnicity interacting or even conversing.

Stretch your imagination and think out of the box.

Those of us who have a broad variety might do better than those who don’t. 

Some here who specialize, for instance animals/birds, or plants, are very good at what they do in order to sell well. But that doesn’t mean you are shut out. 

I’ve  sold a flowering vine multiple times because most of the ones I’m competing with have taken closeups of the flowers. I’ve done that too, but the one that keeps selling is of the whole plant.

A lot of your shots fill the frame. Try a closeup, then one zoomed out with space around it. A horizontal and a vertical.  Space is good...room for text, or a horizontal a buyer can crop to a vertical without losing part of the subject. Sky above when possible, perfect for text.

You’re a good photographer, but maybe there is room for improvement in your composition.

Hope this helps.

Betty

Hi Betty, Thanks for your time in giving advice. It so happens that I grow my own produce (with moderate success), started to cook and if you look in my port will see a lot of plants, fruit, veg and some food already here. I will certainly work on more though as it does seem to be a passion of mine. Earthy, rustic rural etc. I am based in Cheshire so it's all around me. I also like to shoot the extraordinary if I stumble on it as niche images must sell from time to time.