Post your positive results here :)

Thanks! The shot is of outdoor recreation on a lake in northern Minnesota -- motorboat, canoe and such. I wouldn't have thought of it as commercial in nature, but a food/bevereage company licensed it for TV, Web and an industrial film. There are some fairly large foods companies in the Upper Midwest, so I guess they didn't flinch at the rate. If it went through an ad agency, they'd always rather put their 15% markup on a higher sum than a lower one.

A commercial client licensed one of my images for $1640 for multiple uses. Fortunately it was RM, so the uses added up.

They had a lot of good images to choose from so it was blind luck that they picked mine. My plan for the future is to continue to be blindly lucky.

Nice one Don!

Congratulations!

Kumar (the Doc one)

A commercial client licensed one of my images for $1640 for multiple uses. Fortunately it was RM, so the uses added up.

They had a lot of good images to choose from so it was blind luck that they picked mine. My plan for the future is to continue to be blindly lucky.

Wow, that's some number! Well done!

Thanks! Credit is due to Jemal Creary in the New York office of Alamy who negotiated the deal.

It does leave me wondering how I can shoot in such a way that my work is appealing to commercial buyers, as they seem to be the ones with money to spend.

Thanks to all for kind words. Although editorial rates have been disappointingly low, this does show that Alamy will go to bat for higher amounts when the traffic will bear it.

$ 420 sale just dropped in. Direct sale. Happy bunny  :D

Cheers,

Philippe

Good news. I suspect your collection has several pictures of happy bunnies.

Good to know sales are popping up on a bank holiday - I'll keep checking every five minutes as usual.....

Today I sold a license of a picture of His Majesty, Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien riding his polo pony Chesney.

Alamy, if you thought increasing caption length from 128 to 150 characters solves all problems: it doesn't  ;)  :P

Today I sold a license of a picture of His Majesty, Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien riding his polo pony Chesney.

Alamy, if you thought increasing caption length from 128 to 150 characters solves all problems: it doesn't  ;)  :P

How did you get His Majesty to sign the release form? 

Do you know what search term was used?

How did you get His Majesty to sign the release form? 

It was an editorial sale of an RM license. I don't have a signed release of His Majesty, who is not only the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, but also Prime Minister, Minister of Defence, Minister of Finance, and Supreme Commander of the Royal Brunei Armed Forces (and probably also captain of the polo team).

Alamy, if you thought increasing caption length from 128 to 150 characters solves all problems: it doesn't   ;)   :P

Do you know what search term was used?

Not really. The location was Cirencester Park, and the picture showed up a few times for this search term, but was never zoomed. I assume the search term was something simple like "sultan of brunei".

The good news is the client was interested in buying an exclusive license. Nice.

The sad news is the offered price was not even close to reasonable to freeze the file (and the one more similiar, here and on any other agency) for ten years... 

Well, almost positive.

This one popped in yesterday for $115.

Usage: Direct mail and brochures
Media: Travel brochures
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Print run: up to 50,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/2 page
Start: 01 May 2017
End: 01 May 2018
Rights included use in context of printed brochure and distribution as PDF facsimile. Print run: 40,000.

The last time I got a travel brochure sale it was sold a further 28 times - so here's hoping! :D

John

Archived