Canon 5D I hope generates 22.3 Mega pixels image, which should be large enough even after cropping. Actually any image above 3 MP (as it shows in thumnails) should be large enough by Alamy standards. I have Canon 550D a 18 MP camera. One can always see uncompressed size by opening image-> size in Photoshop. Here are statistics of some of my images

image compressed (as it appears in thumbnail) in mega pixels       Quality                   Uncompressed size in mega pixels

7.45                                                                                        12                          51.3

4.14                                                                                        10                          51.3 

4.76                                                                                        11                          42.7

6.83                                                                                        12                          42.7

The ratio between compressed and uncompressed jpeg sizes also depends on the nature of the image. Lots of fine detail doesn't compress as much as flat skies etc. So your guideline cannot to be relied on. I think you've also confused MP and MB. Best rule is that you need more than about 6,000,000 pixels in your finished jpeg. For a 2:3 aspect ratio image, dimensions of 2000 x 3000 pixels or larger is fine. If you have any doubts, download the excellent Alamy SizeChecker from here.

<my emphasis in quotes above>

I think confusion over Megapixels and Megabytes is driving this thread further than it need go.

ss

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Arshad said:

Hi, I am new on Alamy. Want to sell my collection of photos. Taken by samsung mobile of 13 MP camera . But Alamy doesn't accept my photos. Can someone guide please. Thanks 

The main Alamy site doesn't accept mobile phone photos. There is Stockimo, an offshoot of Alamy that accepts mobile photos - but only from Apple phones!

So you can't submit those photos to Alamy.

John.

1 hour ago, Stokie said:

The main Alamy site doesn't accept mobile phone photos. There is Stockimo, an offshoot of Alamy that accepts mobile photos - but only from Apple phones!

So you can't submit those photos to Alamy.

John.

That is not strictly true. The St....mo app which you need to upload images is Apple only but the pictures can be taken on any phone (so Samsung would be fine). I think the app works on iPads as well as iPhones. I don't use S........o myself although I think I have 2 or so photos on there from when it started. I see the app has not been updated in a couple of years now. Oh and it is forbidden to discuss it on this forum. 

Edited by MDM

32 minutes ago, MDM said:

That is not strictly true. The St....mo app which you need to upload images is Apple only but the pictures can be taken on any phone (so Samsung would be fine). I think the app works on iPads as well as iPhones. I don't use S........o myself although I think I have 2 or so photos on there from when it started. I see the app has not been updated in a couple of years now. Oh and it is forbidden to discuss it on this forum. 

OK, I don't use the 'app that shouldn't be mentioned' and didn't realise that images taken with android phones could be uploaded via an ipad.

I have washed my mouth out with soap and water and I will never mention the unmentionable ever again.

Yours contritely, John.