Nikon D7100.

The company that my wife works for is about to give her some money to spend on a present for herself, and she fancies replacing her well used Nikon d90 with a Nikon D7100 and would like me to sort it out. I have read plenty of reviews on the web ( mostly good )  I have tried talking her into getting a D600, but she must have what she is happy with.. 

Is or has anyone been using a D7100 for shooting stock and had either good or bad experiences with it ?

I have had a look and it doesn't show as being on the acceptable camera list for alamy, but maybe that's just because it is fairly new ?

Thanks, Steve.

Hello Steve, I have no experience with the D7100 but it will definately be fine for Alamy, as you mentioned, it is fairly new which is probably why it is not on the list.

But if it is being bought for her as a gift, a full framed D600 would be better as you know. But if the lady was to hold both, she may lean towards the lighter and smaller D7100.

Go and have a test drive and see which one she feels more comfortable with. I'm sure she'll get great shots with either camera.

I think that she feels that the d7100 is going to be the closest feel to the D90 that she has been using, as for the lenses we share our lenses so she has the use of my FX lenses that I use on my D700 as well as the DX lenses that we use on my D300s and her D90.

Very pleased with my D7100. With good techniqe it provides sharper images than my D7000 from the same lenses. A handful of images now on sale with Alamy & no QC issues.

I considered the D600 but the expense of a pro FX zoom to replace my 17-55mm DX lens was the deciding factor for me.

From what I understand the cameras are pretty similar in use and image quality. The D7100 has a few better features than the D600 because it's a little newer. The D600 is a little more forgiving due to a lower pixel density. Camera shake and focus error show up less on the D600.

I wanted to keep my D7000 and thus keep my main DX lens so the cost of moving to FX was prohibitive for me but if I were selling my D7000 I would probably have sold my DX lens and gone the FX route and chosen the D600. However I'm very happy with the D7100 (apart from the price crash that occured immediately after I bought it!)

D7100 - no sensor dust issues. It's nothing like a D600 for high ISO and it's actually quite noisy at moderate ISOs, but it processes OK. D600 is not, I think, I good purchase; we have sold our D600 system. I don't have the time to deal with the retouching.

Thanks for the reply David, do you know if the kit lense that comes with the 7100 is worth having, I normaly only buy camera bodies but the cost of the 7100 with the lens was not much dearer than buying the body on its own.

When you say it's noisy at moderate ISO's when does it start to show noise.. I am not expecting it to be as good as my D700 but are hoping for better than our D300s and D90..

By the way I really enjoyed cameracraft magazine that I took with me on my trip to the isle of mull

Steve

D7100 - no sensor dust issues. It's nothing like a D600 for high ISO and it's actually quite noisy at moderate ISOs, but it processes OK. D600 is not, I think, I good purchase; we have sold our D600 system. I don't have the time to deal with the retouching.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the D7100 is now on the approved camera list. I've been using one as a lighter and less cumbersome alternative to my D700 for street/stock photography. Initial results on Alamy have been fine. Images with an elderly 18-35 Nikkor D lens are good but I'm planning to buy a 16-85 DX lens soon which will, I think, give better results. There were some software upgrade issues of course. I had to upgrade both Lightroom and Elements in order to process the D7100 images. The files are significantly bigger than those from the D700.

Slightly off-topic but upgrading Elements has meant that Bridge has been replaced by Organiser which is, in my view, not as useful. I can't, for example, rename and copy my D7100 images from Organiser in the way I can with Bridge.

Sorry if this is a little late for your deliberations on camera choice.

Cheers for the info Chris, no it's not to late and I think my wife will end up with the d7100 in two or three weeks time anyway. Re: the software I just purchased a sony rx100 for street photography ( instead of carrying the d700 around ) so I am in the process up upgrading lightroom any way to convert the sony raw files..

I tested the D7100 with 18-300mm lens and we owned the D600 with 28-300mm lens at the same time. My wife has been used to a Sony A580 with the (good, big older) Sigma 18-2500mm OS lens and the D600 kit was to replace this. However, it proved inferior in every respect, lens not as sharp as the Sigma, focus a nightmare (too small a cluster of points and the points are tiny, so moving the camera a very small amount can take the active focus point off the edge of a target and hit the background etc), and dust spots all over. I had the D7100 only for a brief period, hoping the 18-300mm DX might be better than the 28-300mm FX, but actually it's worse. The 18-105mm also supplied with the camera was excellent. But the D7100 had no ultimate quality advantage over the Sony A580 (16 megapixels) so we didn't try that route, she's back using the Sony, and we once again do not have a Nikon kit. However someone on eBay got a real bargain - D600 with 28-300mm, spare batt, tried and tested very rare last model Sigma 17-35mm EX DG HSM, and a three-aerial GPS all for £1650. I would buy the D7100 not the D600 any day, but avoid the 18-300mm and go for the 18-105mm or 18-200mm VR as a walkround lens.

Thanks David, you always supply much useful information.  I have the 18-105 but haven't used it yet.  Images from the little 18-55 sail through QC with no problems but don't have the reach of the 18-105. :)

I realise this a bit off-topic but I wonder if anyone has experience of the 16-85 DX Nikkor on a D7100? I use the D7100 for street and stock photography and want to make sure, if I can, that the lens will be up to the standards for Alamy before investing in it.

The company that my wife works for is about to give her some money to spend on a present for herself, and she fancies replacing her well used Nikon d90 with a Nikon D7100 and would like me to sort it out. I have read plenty of reviews on the web ( mostly good )  I have tried talking her into getting a D600, but she must have what she is happy with.. 

Is or has anyone been using a D7100 for shooting stock and had either good or bad experiences with it ?

I have had a look and it doesn't show as being on the acceptable camera list for alamy, but maybe that's just because it is fairly new ?

Thanks, Steve.

The D7100 is a good camera below 400iso,  I have the D600 as well, check this out if it helps,

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/d600-v-d7100-user-review-part-1.html

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/nikon-d7100-review-part-1-of-quite-few.html

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/nikon-d600-v-nikon-d700-for-those-on.html

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/d600-sensor-dust-my-conclusion-my.html

I realise this a bit off-topic but I wonder if anyone has experience of the 16-85 DX Nikkor on a D7100? I use the D7100 for street and stock photography and want to make sure, if I can, that the lens will be up to the standards for Alamy before investing in it.

I have used the 16-85 as my primary lens (on a D80) for many years, and have been delighted with it. Indeed, the majority of my Alamy images so far were taken using this combination. Can't comment on using it with a D7100 but I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

Thanks, Steve.

The D7100 is a good camera below 400iso,  I have the D600 as well, check this out if it helps,

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/d600-v-d7100-user-review-part-1.html

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/nikon-d7100-review-part-1-of-quite-few.html

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/nikon-d600-v-nikon-d700-for-those-on.html

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/d600-sensor-dust-my-conclusion-my.html

Thanks for the reply Gary, I have just had a read of your reviews ..It is now getting ever closer to the time when my wife has to choose, so it might be a case of taking her to Park Camera';s and letting her hold the pair and see which one feels good for her....I think I might take my D700 body with me and try out a 24-70 2.8 as that is something that I have been meaning to try out for a while now :) .  Mind you I can remember what happened when I went to try out a D7000 and someone said why don't you have a hold and a try out of this D700 sir, as it ended up emptying my wallet but well worth the emptying.

Steve B - The 24-70/2.8 is worth emptying your wallet for too. Beware.

Chris P - the 16-85 VR is a really good lens optically for the money. I had it in my DX days before I bought a used 17-55/2.8 but for most shooting, both lenses did the job with the 16-85 showing more, but easily fixed, geometric distortion. I don't think I've submitted any images for stock from when I used it but I can't see you'd have any problems with it IQ-wise.

Archived