Wooolf! I mean re-rank.

A light box of the old one is here: old rank

You know what to do to see the new one.

wim

Question or statement??? ^_^

I don't. :(

You mean how to look? Search for BHZ

How to test your own rank? (or play like some here say)

Put BHZ as a keyword in the Essential keywords. In one RM image. (If you have only RF, the outcome is only valid for an RF only search.)

Wait 24 hours until the database has been updated and look where your image has landed in the BHZ search.

For testing reasons people sometimes use more than one image, or vary the place of BHZ. If you do so, please make your testing period as short as possible.

wim

edit: double quotes? That's the second time.

Thanks Wim…Thought you were referring to a second lightbox…Already do the BHZ thingy, know how to search ;)

Still on page 6….which is probably an improvement as more people have joined ^_^

It seems to confirm my concern that if you fall out of a high rank it is effectively impossible to recover. I now need to make a decision; do I continue throwing more effort at my old account, do I start afresh, simply go elsewhere or do something completely different. A new pseudonym does not seem to be enough and probably a new account would not work either as you just start so low in the ranking (and I would lose that 5 year clean QC record).

Not saying I'm right in this but... If one were to fall low in rank thus views, zooms and sales fall too - but relative to each other those parameters would stay pretty much the same (i.e. your "level")?

My zooms and sales have fallen to such a level that they are too low to be meaningful :(

I understand this and I'm sorry to hear that. My point is that I do believe your hard work will pay off, just keep at it. It is all about the correlation between (zooms + sales) / views. Remedies for improving this is naturally; reduce unnecessary views (keywording), increase zooms and sales (relevant/improved keywording + better/more relevant images). 

If you are low in rank you will get fewer views, fewer zooms and presumably fewer sales, but there is an opportunity to improve the correlation.

Good luck!

A light box of the old one is here: old rank

You know what to do to see the new one.

wim

Question or statement??? ^_^

I don't. :(

You mean how to look? Search for BHZ

How to test your own rank? (or play like some here say)

Put BHZ as a keyword in the Essential keywords. In one RM image. (If you have only RF, the outcome is only valid for an RF only search.)

Wait 24 hours until the database has been updated and look where your image has landed in the BHZ search.

For testing reasons people sometimes use more than one image, or vary the place of BHZ. If you do so, please make your testing period as short as possible.

wim

edit: double quotes? That's the second time.

Thanks Wim…Thought you were referring to a second lightbox…Already do the BHZ thingy, know how to search ;)

Still on page 6….which is probably an improvement as more people have joined ^_^

A second lightbox is not yet needed. Unless you want the Creative one:

BHZ 2014-06-10 Creative

again: only the first 120.

Not everybody that is high in Creative is in Creative with his/her complete collection: in my case it's just that one image that got picked by hand.

wim

One of the algorithmic wildcards that people seem to overlook when trying to work out what's happening is that the 'pack' has to be shuffled to freshen things up, stratification sets in otherwise. Sometimes the cards fall in your favour, sometimes not.

I've been all over the place over the years, this time from somewhere in the middle of the pack to half way down page 4........it's a waste of lifespan trying to work it out! :) 

Paul

I am up on page 4 now, so shall sit back and wait for the sales to come flooding in!

No, quite honestly though, I have been here before, after periods languishing on the wrong side of mid way. At one time I was even checking my ranking starting from the last page as it was not quite so depressing.

Has it made any difference, .....I think not!

I have watched my BHZ image over the last few years fall from page 6 to 10 to 16 (which was bad enough) and now page 25.

I constantly work on keywords, proximity, order etc. I have deleted over 100 images in the past year, created a second pseudonym for low performing images, and having done a few searches today, this second pseudonym (which has a click through rate of 0 ) now outperforms my main one.

I assume the re-rank was done on this months performance alone. Either that or the algorithm has some bugs in it.

alamyrank.jpg

I don't buy the randomisation argument - it has always been the same images, on the same page (and the ones around it from other contributors only change at rerank)

Not sure what you mean by the randomisation argument. Your own images will appear in the same order (most recently uploaded first, in the position dictated by your rank) every single time they're searched. Without fail.

Alan

I don't buy the randomisation argument - it has always been the same images, on the same page (and the ones around it from other contributors only change at rerank)

Not sure what you mean by the randomisation argument. Your own images will appear in the same order (most recently uploaded first, in the position dictated by your rank) every single time they're searched. Without fail.

Alan

It has often been said by well regarded members of the forums, and I thought Alamy, that equally ranked contributors and images were ordered randomly (to some degree) to ensure a fair share of exposure. I agree that what you are suggesting seems to be nearer  the case rather than the random selection of otherwise equally ranked images/pseudonyms. However my new stuff does not change the order of my adjacent psedudonyms - presumabley equally ranked - it just seems to determine which of my new images appear first for each pseudonym..

It has often been said by well regarded members of the forums, and I thought Alamy, that equally ranked contributors and images were ordered randomly (to some degree) to ensure a fair share of exposure.

It has never appeared to me to be a dynamic thing though. As far as I can see the randomisation occurs at the re-rank and then stays the same until the next one.

Alan

It has often been said by well regarded members of the forums, and I thought Alamy, that equally ranked contributors and images were ordered randomly (to some degree) to ensure a fair share of exposure.

It has never appeared to me to be a dynamic thing though. As far as I can see the randomisation occurs at the re-rank and then stays the same until the next one.

Alan

That may well be it, in which case it is even dumber than I thought. The ranking ought to be a whole lot more dynmaic - surely the marklet changes more often than every 100 or so days. Rank needs to reflect trending topics.

I must be being punished for something.  I went from page 12 to page 25 despite having doubled my sales from last year.  It has had a corresponding effect on my image placement in searches none of my images show up on page one of larger searches any more.  I have a lousy CTR but that is nothing new.  Guess I need some big dollar sales to get back up the BHZ ladder

I must be being punished for something.  I went from page 12 to page 25 despite having doubled my sales from last year.  It has had a corresponding effect on my image placement in searches none of my images show up on page one of larger searches any more.  I have a lousy CTR but that is nothing new.  Guess I need some big dollar sales to get back up the BHZ ladder

Are we creating an alternative to the Sin Bin Club?

Are we creating an alternative to the Sin Bin Club?

I don't know if it's the new sin bin but it seems to be getting pretty crowded here on page 25. I can't believe I've done SO badly in my photography and keywording so as  to end up in the basement.

Archived