RF images of UK banknotes

Hi,

While reading the 'HAVE YOU FOUND ANY ALAMY IMAGES, APRIL 2013' on the forum my attention was drawn to one image which was reported for the Observer 21st April, the complete reverse side of a UK banknote which is Royalty Free, is this OK?

Note that the OP has noted that this particlar usage may not be from Alamy as it has no credit line, but the image does appear  as for sale by Alamy on thier database.

The reason I ask is, that several years back I deleted all my UK banknote images as I understood that it was illegal to show the whole of a UK banknote in a photographic image.

Advice welcome.

Regards,

Oich

Hi Oich,

Don't know the answer to your question, but I should point out that although the image on Alamy includes the whole banknote, it was actually used quite heavily cropped.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, but my query is whether it is OK for me to photograph the full face of UK banknotes, or any others and place them on Alamy.

I'm aware that the ECB, Switzerland and the US have regulations governing the reproduction of banknotes, so I expect the UK has something similar.  Those I've perused generally limit the size at which reproduction is allowed (among other things) - no sizes that could be mistaken for the real thing.

Regards

It's not illegal, but the publisher of the image needs specific permission from the BoE. The main criteria for granting permission seem to be that the image isn't to scale, or taken straight on. For best acceptance, take photo's of the notes, at least 20 degrees to the perpendicular.  

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, but my query is whether it is OK for me to photograph the full face of UK banknotes, or any others and place them on Alamy.

At the risk of belabouring the point, the regulations on this topic vary by country.  A similar situation applies to postage stamps - some countries place the copyright in the public domain, others hold the copyright and want a fee in return for permission to photograph for commercial purposes.  I enquired on one occasion, and concluded that even were I willing to pay a fee, I could not provide the information required to determine what the fee would be because the fee was to be based on the revenue generated.

Regards

It seems to be a pretty universal requirement, that banknotes aren't reproduced to scale. As this is entirely out of the control of the photographer, I can't see how it's possible for a someone to obtain permission for their stock photos to be used. The end user must apply for permission to use the stock image.

The original restrictions on banknoters and stamps in the UK was for facsimile reproductions - i.e. could be used to produce an image capable of deceiving -  now however the images on stamps and notes are copyright. You could ask the Royal Mint/Bank of england if you can put photographs of UK banknotes into a picture library - you will be told that you cannot do so. However, if the notes are distorted in some way by perspective or overlapping there are plenty of examples out there......

All mulitfunction printers are blocked from printing and copying bank notes. Just a fact

Here is the answer to your questions.

British Pound Coins are not restricted if done in good taste. 

English Pound Coins 

Acceptable for commercial use as long as they are displayed in “good taste”

The flat form reproduction of a coin for use in advertisements or other promotional literature is normally permissible

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/advertising-guidelines

UK bank notes not allowed

• 2 weeks later...

But...but...but...............Royalty Free??????

Property - surely?   I can't believe they were given a release by the treasury!!

Christine

If it needed a property release, the RF agencies would ask for it. Alamy has different rules tho. Where a pixel of a human being needs a model release. Sums it up.

Archived