Travel Discussion Area

Ed Endicott

Many of us travel to different locations for different reasons.  It would be great to have a separate area to discuss travel items such as:

Requests for places to go/see when visiting a location

Meetup requests to meet/greet other photographers residing in the area

Answer general questions about the location

etc., etc.

Obviously this would appeal to some more than others but it would be a great way to network and interact with others at Alamy on a more personal level if the opportunity is there.

Wim, I'm not sure what you mean?  I was suggesting another section in the Alamy Discussion Area (similar to "Let's Talk About Pics").

As an example post, I'll be in Calgary, Canada for about 36 hours next week and will (hopefully) have a chance to walk around for about an hour or two.  I was thinking a seperate area to ask questions about what to see, food recommendations downtown, questions about what I can/can't photograph, etc., etc.

I know Jeff G. has asked similar questions about other locations.

Ed, I do understand that. To me the posts appear as one big list. And I read the posts as one list: Content I have not read or New since my last visit.  I never go to the sub-forums separately. Only to start a topic. Which is actually quite difficult to find. For a search I use the search function.

Why not do away with the existing areas?

So my question is: are there people who read or follow just one area?

wim

I do have my favorites and the Technical area often just gets a quick look because so much of it is about cameras and lenses that I don't have. I don't even know where Content and New are. You must see the Forum in a totally different way.

Paulette

I do have my favorites and the Technical area often just gets a quick look because so much of it is about cameras and lenses that I don't have. I don't even know where Content and New are. You must see the Forum in a totally different way.

Paulette

Paulette,

That's not impossible. How do I show you how I read the Forum?

I use a (link)button in the bookmarks toolbar of my browser that gets me there in one click, but I have retraced my steps:

From the homepage go to For sellers in the top navigation bar.

There are 2 columns:

How it works and Helpful stuff

Last under helpful stuff is Forum.

Click on that.

Here is what I think is the home page of the Forum. Indeed I never see this.

(That's not entirely true: I now realise I see this when I have to log in and I have to click the button in the bookmarks toolbar of my browser again. It annoys me no end every time I have to do it. That's why that  page of the forum is not inviting for me, but highly irritating in stead.)

Under the search box in the top left hand corner there is a tiny grey line View New Content with a sort of Google place indicator next to it, which brings up a pop-up I have never seen and does not look handy at all.

But when you click on the small grey line View New Content, you get where I read the forum.

To the left there is a settings bar.

Mine is set to Forums (probably the default)

Content I have not read or

New since my last visit

When a thread has vanished from either, I may use one of the other like Past week or use the search box.

250px-Far_Far_Away_Sign_Shrek.jpg

The same after a longer hiatus, like a month to Far Far Away.

So there you have it.

wim

Ahhhh. I am very used to the various sections -- had to go to Forum section to find your post again after moving away from here. Helps me to sort things, I guess.

Paulette

Seriously: does anyone only read one area?

No, but... I do read the subject lines and if I'm busy I only bother to open those topics that might interest me or be useful for me. I like Ed's idea, provided there was a stipulation that the location is shown in the subject line, and then I could ignore any that were not of interest to me at that time.

If such topics were left in the general forum then all I would be likely to see would be something like "What should I photograph?" or "Travel ideas sought", which is not helpful to anyone.

Alan

I'm not sure that Travel needs it's own section, even if most contributors are interested in the subject. But . . . I think Have you found any Alamy images should have its own area. This subject, and I'm sure lots of you are very interested in it, takes over and dominates the Ask the Forum area for half of every day. I don't use any Flicker style sites, nor do I have my own Website any longer, so it is of of little interest to me. If I had a vote, I would support having this daily posted subject as a separate area. 

And please: new-post posters, consider just where your subject should be posted. Too often this isn't the case.

Edo

I'm not sure that Travel needs it's own section, even if most contributors are interested in the subject. But . . . I think Have you found any Alamy images should have its own area. This subject, and I'm sure lots of you are very interested in it, takes over and dominates the Ask the Forum area for half of every day. I don't use any Flicker style sites, nor do I have my own Website any longer, so it is of of little interest to me. If I had a vote, I would support having this daily posted subject as a separate area. 

And please: new-post posters, consider just where your subject should be posted. Too often this isn't the case.

Edo

Hmmmm. I keep thinking about this. A joke? A bit of mis-direction? I use the "images Found" thread to see what has actually sold somewhere. Only once has someone found one of mine. It was in a slideshow so I hadn't seen it by my Google search. Nice to know where it sold.

Paulette

Edit: I lied. It has been at least twice that someone found an image that I hadn't found because it was in a slideshow.

Hi, Ed. Yes, it is directed at you. You give the impression of believing that the Images Found thread is for finding images on Flickr, etc. It is for finding images in books, magazines, newspapers--places that pay for our images. Did you not know that or were you joking? Or perhaps I just didn't understand your point.

Paulette

Let me attempt to clarify: Yes, I understand the what are where of 'images found' is about, and I think it's a very useful activity. My mention of Flickr and the other sites of that type was to say I don't post images there (and I don't have my own Website) so I don't personally have, or worry about having, images stolen. Not often, anyway. Google 'borrowed' one a while ago. 

My point in posting here was to say that I'm in favor of 'found images' having it's own separate area. 

Aha. So you would watch that thread to see if something appeared somewhere without payment to you. Now I understand. I check for things that I know have sold or that haven't been reported yet.

Paulette

Archived